Millie Transatlantic

Lems_Linn

We are getting ready for the 11/24 Transatlantic cruise on the Millie.

This is our second cruise, and we are still learning the ins and outs of cruising.

Are there any special traditions associated with Transatlantic cruises?

Our previous cruise was on the Infinity... we hear it is very much like the Millie. Is this accurate?

Does the Millie have the Persian Spa and the T-Pool ? Are they working?

Also, What's the deal with door signs? Too Cool or Too tacky? And how do you get them to stay up?

It took several days for us to get the hang of things on our last cruise, and we want to ramp up early this time.. so we can pack in more fun!

Don't know what you mean about door signs.

I did the Eastboard Transatlantic on Millenium last year. It was wonderful. Same exact ship as the Infinity (except for decor). They have the t-pool and persian spa.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Clarification:

Door Signs = Custom Signs/or message boards for cabin doors.

We put a "Just Married" sign on our cabin door for our last cruise. It was kind of fun.

I figured that since we were on our Honeymoon, people would indulge our silliness.

It was nice to have a marker on our door... easier to find after a long day.

Before I start creating a sign, i wanted to find out if they are "okie dokie."

If you go to the roll calls, (Millennium) you will see that you will have alot of people already posting regards this cruise. You will then be able to go to the CC party and meet these people.

We have done three transatlantics on Millennium and just love the ship.

Yes they have Persian Garden and T Pool, make sure before you pay your money for the Persian Garden that it is working. We paid then found out that over 50% of it was not working. The T Pool was working fine.

Between all our Celebrity cruises, we have only seen 3 door signs.

A transatlantic is a very restful cruise - especially the Millie westbound in the fall with all the ports at the beginning of the cruise and those wonderful sea days at the end. And you have six 25 hour days! We have done 3 transatlantics on the Millie and love it! There are activities during the crossing but they aren't loud and "in your face". Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the information on what the Transatlatic portion will be like. We had a ball on the "at sea" days last time, but now that they will be back to back... I want to be prepared!

I am making sure that I have my "incidentals" in order, since we'll be at Sea for 5 days... since quick pick-ups on shore won't be an option.

I will also continue the tradition we started on the first cruise by decorating the room on Sea days. I put together some various "themes" and put them around the room on various days... by the end of the cruise our cabin looked like a birthday party run wild.

My husband thought it was fun. so now I "get" to do it on all the vacations. We just got back from Walt Disney World, and we decorated the rooms of the other family members ... and they had a blast with it!

I welcome more tips for packing for the transatlantic cuise. Especially any tips on essentials we might overlook when packing.

Can't think of anything in particular to pack for a transatlantic except for an Ipod. I did my daily walk around the top deck everyday to ward off the excess pounds. It was nice to listen to one hour of programed tunes. Once the songs were done- I knew I could stop walking!:p

If you love to read, bring books you have been putting off. We love to read on the Promenade deck after lunch on sea days. The library selections are iffy if you don't get there right away ... the dregs aren't worth the trip. We leave books for the library when we leave, which does two things: lightens our luggage and gives the library something more than 35 copies each of the latest Danielle Steele-type books.

Door signs are incredibly tacky if you think they are. They're not if you don't.

Opinions will vary (to avoid the flames I won't state mine) but it doesn't hurt anyone and if you think it's cute, have at it. OTOH, some folks have told me it's a crude/juvenile/silly (I've heard all three, and more) way of drawing attention to oneself, one's group, etc. Obviously, there are people in this world who think that's a good idea and there are people who don't. Does it really matter?

I've never seen one on a hotel room door, and to that the extent that's similar (lodging) it seems odd, but maybe it's just the hotels we stay in.

In the same way, I think it's more likely you'll see them on some more "party" type ships or cruises than you would on, say, the Grill class suites on Cunard's ships or on the doors to the suites on the Veradah deck on any HAL liner. I've never seen one on a Crystal cruise nor on Seabourn or Radisson (now Regent) but you never know - obviously you can't go on every cruise.

I'll be on board; this is our third Celebrity transatlantic. We'll see.

If you love to read, bring books you have been putting off. We love to read on the Promenade deck after lunch on sea days. The library selections are iffy if you don't get there right away ... the dregs aren't worth the trip. We leave books for the library when we leave, which does two things: lightens our luggage and gives the library something more than 35 copies each of the latest Danielle Steele-type books.

On my first trans I brought 5 books to read - with the number of sea days that should have been the right number that I could have read. I never finished chapter one of the first book. Everytime I started to read, I'd look at the clock and it was suddenly an hour or so later. All that tranquil rocking just put me to sleep. So now I just bring one book to read.

We consider the trans our recouperative cruise - the one that totally relaxes us after our normal lives so that we come home rested and refreshed.

Yikes! I am not posting to start a door signs debate! If I have offended anyone, please send me a private note to sort things out: Email me.

The sign was fun for our honeymoon, but then again a lot of silliness is created for Weddings and honeymoons. (My husband and I did a Waltz/Polka routine for our first Dance. It was fun, but we don't go around learning special routines for every big party!)

We don't do door signs on a typical vacation. As Bostom mentioned, door signs would be an oddity in lots of environments.

While we were at Disney World, we had a bunch of 'pre-readers" - so it was really helpful to explain to a 3 year old that she was staying in the Winnie-the-Pooh room. There was a direct path from pool to room, and the picture helped the kiddos navigate with confidence. I also checked with the front desk, and used "approved" materials.

The in room decorating is our own little tradition, and stays inside the cabin. It is kind of an "Easter egg" that I put out every day. (Again, if this is a problem, please email me off list to help me understand.)

I take great care treat the room with respect, and do not damage the room, furnitures or fixtures.

I didn't realize this is a hot topic, so please don't start a flame war on the message board. Feel free to send me your comments via email.

Thanks Rebecca! My husband is very laid back, and I have learned that he enjoys simple silliness when we are on vacation.

For example, I declared "Sponge Bob" day, and gave him some Sponge Bob toys, woke him up with the Sponge Bob song. <yes, I memorized the theme song for Spong Bob Square Pants> Totally Dorky, but he has fun with it.... I am learning to loosen up!

He gets such a kick out of it that I love planning stuff now.

Much covert planning is in order! I was hoping there was some kind of official Transatlantic traditions that I could use for inspiration.. but it sounds Like I need to invent my own!

Maybe I can create the "25th hour" tradition, since we'll have 6 of those days on the trip. uh, but that is as far as I have gotten ...... this needs work... lots of work.

Archived