Belize or Jamaica???

Live the good life

We are debating between a Western Carribean cruise that has Belize versus Jamaica as part of the destinations. For those of you who have been to both, which one would you have visited first and why? Also, which cruise line and which internet travel agency service did you use? Thanks,

Kim "ltgl"

we've done both - Jamaica hands down - Belize has a long way to go - it is very undeveloped, and not as pretty as Jamaica which is mountainous and green. Belize is very flat, and nothing to do there unless you pay lots of money for excursions.

DS521, thanks for the reply...We will finalize our booking with Carribean Princess for the Aug 21, 2004 sailing today!!! Any recommendations on the nice sites, beaches and hotels in Montego Bay (Doctor's cave versus Sunset Beach, versus Rose Hall beach, vs Negril beach), Grand Cayman (Westin beach, Marriot beach, Royal Palm beach, Sea Grape beach), and Cozumel (Paradise beach)? Any other not to be missed places?

We are also traveling by land (flight) to Cabos San Lucas for a week-end get away in 2 weeks. Thinking to book Pueblo Bonito Rose resort since it is close to town and has music by the pool versus the Esperanza, Marquis, or Westin...If you have been to Los Cabos, any input on beaches/hotels/authentic restaurants? Thanks!!!

Kim-"ltgl"

I agree....have been to Belize, and regretted not going to Jamaica. Belize scared us to death. We did love the snorkeling, but did not stay in Belize City very long due to the feelings of being unsafe. A ton of people on our ship said the same thing. We will definitely go to Jamaica next tiem.

It really is interesting to hear how different people feel about different ports. We enjoyed Belize and would like to go back - felt very unsafe in Jamaica and don't want to go back. Maybe Montego Bay is better then Ocho Rios - so - I may have to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I much prefer Belize. I've been there twice and loved it both times. Jamaica is pretty, but the people are so in your face. It's an extremely extraverted culture, and people just jump at you to buy, buy, buy.

Belize is bigger, and there's much more to do there. On one trip we took a cruise up the river to see wildlife (manatees, crocs, monkeys, and so on), and then went to some ruins. On the other trip we got a private tour guide to take us to some ancient ruins along the Guatemalan border.

Belize is FINE. I'd go back to Jamaica, but I'd rather be in Belize.

KHK

We've also done both and definately preferred Ocho Rios Jamaica. We had a great day on the beach in Margaritaville sipping tropical drinks while swimming in the ocean.

In Belize we did the aeriel tram high above the rain forest. It was interesting for sure however because if was raining (hense rain forest) we didn't get to see any wildlife rather we travelled on the tram looking at plant life and tree's.

It took the entire time in port thus not allowing us to do what we'd have liked to do ie shopping, swimming and enjoying a beach.

Both have loads to offer, I guess Jamaica just suited our tastes better.

Good luck.

If you go to Jamaica, don't go out on your own. Definitely get a tour guide. Look at a-z planners and e-mail Belinda. Oscar is the best, but I think he does the Ocho Rios area. Belinda will set you up with someone in the Montego bay area. YS falls or the black river are suppose to be great. Of course, I loved climbing the falls in Dunn's River but it is a 2 hour ride from Montego Bay.

Archived