Euros / Turkish Lira

harrowgirl

Do you usually bring enough Euro to last the duration of your cruise? I know I should bring US money (or get onboard) for tipping etc, but not sure what to do about spending money when in port?

Also for Turkey - where do you buy the Lira? Once you get to Turkey at an ATM? From the ship's money exchange?

Dollars won't be accepted in the Med; you should be able to get euros and lira from your bank. Exchanging on ship is possible, but not the least expensive route to go. Plus, they often run out of euros at the ship's bank, so you can't count on them. I try and leave home with $50 in euros ... and come home with about as much to get me started the on the next trip. :D

You can also get euros/lira from any ATM in their respective countries. That's a good way to add to your cash stash very inexpensively: you get the euros/lira you want at the daily exchange rate, no commission. Only the ATM fee. If you can hold out getting euros/lira until you get to a port and an ATM, that is the best way. But if you need them just to get out of a port, then it's worth getting some from your local bank before you leave for your trip.

For most purchases in Europe, I use credit cards. Capital One does not charge a conversion fee ... very handy, and no worries about needing large amounts of cash.

Harrowgirl:

We did a Princess Med/ Turkey cruise in May of 2004....assuming you're just in Turkey for a port day or two, you won't need Lira....$USD or Euros will be fine for tours, drivers, most shops, etc. The problem with getting Lira is that you can't get rid of them after...we were fine with $USD.

Poetic License;

I agree about ATMs...very convenient...but, I would only use Bank (as opposed to the local, private) ATMS....use your own judgement....is it an ATM in the foyer of a relatively modern, nice-looking bank building, or is it a dusty, dodgy-looking ATM at the end of a deserted alley? I know which one I'd use. FYI...Don't know if this has changed, but ATMs in Europe/Asia used to require 4-digit pins....I had my old 6-digit pin changed prior to our trip.

Capital One (and maybe some others) perhaps don't charge a conversion fee, but you can be assured they're getting it through the Exchange rate they charge on the conversion...but you're right, a major credit card is very useful for larger purchases abroad.

Can you use euros in the bazzar in Istanbul, or even USD? THe private tour we have booked for half a day is taking euros or USD. I do not want to assume that "of course they take our money" when it may be somewhat offensive to the vendors. I also realize, you seldom get the best rate when they quote you a price in currency other that their own. It does cost them to get the euros and USD changed at their banks when they deposit it..fair is fair. Comments from those who have gone? Thanks

Muffin:

I think that, in many cases, certainly in Turkey, the vendors actually prefer $USD. I'm in the investment business, and there's an ongoing discussion about the desirability of the $USD, but I'm fairly certain that the vendors in almost any non-OECD country would rather take Euros or $USD, or even Swiss Francs, than Turkish Lira....they know the likely long-term path of their currency vis-a-vis major currencies all too well. I would also surmize that they would rather keep $USD under their mattresses than change it into Lira anytime soon. In terms of bargaining, just know your exchange rates, and bargain accordingly. Again, I would think that you have more bargaining power (ie, lower relative prices) when dealing in $USD or Euros.

The only ones I've ever seen get snooty about accepting the $USD are those in major, developed countries....those in less-developed countries are always most happy to take $USD or Euros.

Archived