Opinions on British Colonial Hilton

sunflower877

I will be visiting Nassau with a couple of friends in a few weeks and am interested in more info on the British Colonial Hilton. I know about the $15 day pass and have heard that the beach is nice and quiet. We don't drink, aren't partiers and are pretty low key. Would this be a good option for us? Also, can you snorkle on this beach and is it okay snorkeling (we're beginners but do have our own stuff...) Thanks!

I will be visiting Nassau with a couple of friends in a few weeks and am interested in more info on the British Colonial Hilton. I know about the $15 day pass and have heard that the beach is nice and quiet. We don't drink, aren't partiers and are pretty low key. Would this be a good option for us? Also, can you snorkle on this beach and is it okay snorkeling (we're beginners but do have our own stuff...) Thanks!

My Wife and I loved it.

We wanted a nice quiet pool and beach to relax by all day, without a bunch of partying alcoholics or screaming, splashing kids.

And we got exactly what we wanted.....

Nassau was the best 12 or so hours of our cruise.

It was nice having plush lounge chairs on the beach and poolside, with the beach and pool only being separated by a row of shrubs.....

They have a restaurant/bar right next to the pool, with a bathroom behind the restaurant.

After you pay, they give you a receipt to hand to the guys working the towel shack between the pool and beach area.

They also had a bunch of pool floats and toys by the shack for people to use.

It was a sandy beach with little or no shells and no coral, so I don't know how much you would see snorkleing at the beach there.

I don't know if the hotel had any snorkleing equipment to use, as we just wanted to crash all day by the pool.

But if you have your own stuff, you could definitely give it a try.

And it is a short walk back to the ship with your equipment when you are done.

Bill

Does the British Colonial Hilton allow children for the day passes.?

Yes, but keep in mind this is a very quiet and serene beach and pool. you'll find more business suits than bathing suits at the pool, so there's no horsing around and splashing. The beach is relaxing, with most people just sun bathing or reading a book.

If your kids are content with building sand castles and enjoying the water, then they'll do fine. If they need entertainment, or are cranky, whiney kids, then you won't be comfortable here.

The Hilton is a busness hotel, not a resort.

Carla,

I was told that it was within walking distance from the ship and you can see it from the ship. If this is true, anyone will be able to point you in the right direction. :)

When the ship pulls into dock, the BCH is the big hotel just to the right of the ship.

You literally can't miss it.

It takes 10 minutes to walk to it from the dock.

Just leave the dock and take a right and head down towards Senor Frogs.

When you get to Senor Frogs, take a left and go up one block and the BCH is right there on the right.

Bill

Just another tip on British Colonial--Went there on 10/8 sailing of Sensation and asked when purchasing day pass if we could leave to go shopping and come back--they gave us two copies each of the receipts so that we could leave and come back. Spent a delightful day there--had a brief rain shower and went to pool bar for shelter and a drink and wound up having lunch there--excellent food and reasonably priced.

We stopped by the BCH on our 10/16 Sovereign sailing as we always do for a drink at the pool bar. I inquired about the day pass and indeed it is $15 which is wort it in my opinion. The pool area is quite beautiful and not crowded at all. We ate at Conch Fritters across the street and the fritters were good as usual. We'll do the BCH next time. No time this year due to waverunner time on Cable Beach. It's so convenient and the concierge was very helpful and informative.

If you are looking for a nice swimming pool then the BCH is for you. If you prefer the beautiful aqua blue waters of the ocean then swim at Paradise or Cable Beach. BCH Beach is on the shipping harbor.

Is the ocean water near the BCH clean enough to swim in? My dd is 3 years old and we would like a beach area that she can swim (play) in that is close to the port, but not if the water may be dirty or polluted.

Is the ocean water near the BCH clean enough to swim in? My dd is 3 years old and we would like a beach area that she can swim (play) in that is close to the port, but not if the water may be dirty or polluted.

I found it to be cleaner than most US Atlantic beaches and the handful of Pacific beaches I've been at while visiting California.

Being in the bay, it isn't the deep aqua colored prettier water like on Cable beach, etc.....

But there was no garbage or medical waste, like I have seen at the beach in multiple NJ beaches and at Virginia Beach.

Bill

the facility is beautiful and the walk is quick, but the beach is very small and closed off with a concrete type barrier. senior frogies connects one wall, so I'm surprised that it's quiet.... I snuck through at night.

I would happily go back, but don't see how spending the $15 will make this a better beach break than the wyndham.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, should have mentioned but too late to edit post.... I have not visited the wyndham. This beach is close, you can see the ships, the facility excellent. for those in large groups, the wyndham is free, the BCH charges $15. I believe it is worth the $15 for a towel, chair, use of pool and the facility... but the $15 adds up. My point was free should be better. Not having a fair comparison, I may be wrong.... but I would not have felt gyped paying the $15 as the british colonial is convienent, beautiful and has a nice simple beach (very small). I don't have pics... but a search of this site will help.

carol

one more thing that I can add is that there is little surf or waves in addition a fresh water pool.(I always bring $store floaties for the kids, easy to pack, cheap to leave) no jelly fish, few rocks that can clearly be seen. Some people say that the waste from the cruise ships polute the water nearby. I have no knowledge to support or refute this, but the ships are very close, as is your walk with a 3yr. old- which is what I'd look for.

walk to your right as you exit the shopping terminal along the water, reach the straw market/senior froggies, head north or up that street, turn right as son as you are able and there it is.... a 10 minute walk. to see where you're going, look out the back of your ship, find senior froggies and look for the first sight of a beach- it's right there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived