Island Princess Doctor

dlovalvo

When we were on the Island in April, one of our tablemates developed diarrhea. She reported this to the medical staff and they came to see HER in her stateroom, gave her advice as to how to handle the problem, quarantined her until the diarrhea stopped, got her a refund on her excursions. This woman is a nurse herself and said that her treatment was wonderful.

When we were on the Golden several years ago, a friend fainted and they took her into the ships infirmary and took very good care of her there. We were pretty close to home, so they waited until we got there to get an ambulance for her. Her insurance paid for all of it. We visited her in the infirmary. The doctor used the internet to consult with other physicians about her condition. I thought he was very professional.

My husband went to a doctor on one of our Princess cruises for a sore throat. We were carrying our own antibiotics, so we used them. His health insurance paid for the visit. The doctor was professional.

Roberta

We were on the Island last year, and my mom went to the infirmary for treatment of sea sickness. The doctor (don't remember her name) was very friendly, yet professional, and she could even speak German with my mom, because she had studied in Germany. The charge wasn't too bad, either.

Not that this matters at all....but the Doc on the Golden last September was a georgeous and I do mean georgeous South African. Made me almost yearn for a medical condition!

That being said, our friend who had to see her was VERY impressed with her care she recieved.

I also believe the money they make is relative to their home country. One of the nurses on another cruise told my wife they did quite well compared to home.

Gary P.

Curious, are these tax free salaries? I would hope they are, otherwise they would be scraping the bottom of the barrel with wages like these. If room and board are included, maybe...

You have to remember cruise ships are not American. While on a cruise ship you are essentially in a foreign country. The employees are all from foreign countries, the doctors are usually foreign as well. While those salaries may seem low for a U.S doctor, they are higher than what most doctors receive in the rest of the world. If you think that those salaries are low you should hear what the rest of the crew makes.

From the cruise critic website regarding Princess;

quote ---Medical training: All doctors have at least three years of post-graduate medical training experience in primary care, minor surgery, and emergency medical and cardiac care. All medical staff onboard is certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and at least one doctor on every ship is also certified in Advanced Trauma Life Support. Shipboard medical staff is fluent in English. Number of medical staff onboard depends upon size of the vessel and ranges from one doctor and two nurses to two doctors and five nurses.

Hours: On call 24 hours a day and reached via the ship's emergency telephone number.

Additional equipment: Princess pioneered the use of telemedicine on ships and used Automatic External Defibrillators (AED) to treat sudden cardiac arrest.

end quote///

On HAL they use doctors who sail as part of a vacation agreement. As has been pointed out by others, on Princess they are Officers and run on a contract as do the nurses.

For those who have run up bills, pls consider obtaining insurance. It will cover all your onboard medical expenses.

While experiences vary, my own numerous ones on Princess were flawless. Fortunately, the one time my dad got very ill, he did have insurance. He got more prompt care delivered more quickly and inexpensively than it would cost at home. Before my cruise to Tahiti my youngest has a hospitalization for her asthma. I actually contacted Princess for information on what equiptment they had on the ship and emailed the doctor prior to my trip. Kathleen was fine, my dad ended up on an IV. BTW the doctor who was a Brit, figured out who I was right away.

From what I have seen the doctors tend to come from the UK or South Africa and the nurses from England or Ireland. This helps as communication is not an issue.

Not that this matters at all....but the Doc on the Golden last September was a georgeous and I do mean georgeous South African. Made me almost yearn for a medical condition!

We ended up in the CB Med Center last year in search of a scale :eek: per wife's request and Lotus Spa suggestion, as the scale at the Spa was non-deterministic :confused:. The head nurse there, a gorgeous South African lady, unfortunately told us they could not let us use the scale without a medical reason :mad:...

Want FAST service--

all you need to do is come down with the Noro Virus--you are seen immediately--given medication, shots etc.--of course, your stateroom is

disinfected a couple of times

For this there is no charge--we were disembarking the next morning--first off the ship--they really want you off the ship

Oh, did I mention you are quarantined to your room--the person traveling with you may go anywhere except Horizon Court

Nancy:D

Want FAST service--

all you need to do is come down with the Noro Virus--you are seen immediately--given medication, shots etc.--of course, your stateroom is

disinfected a couple of times

And that is pretty much what happened to me when I was on the Coral a few years ago.

The staff was very responsive when I first contacted them - opened up the office for me to see me during their off hours. I had no problem with the treatment I recieved and was very pleased. And no cost to me.

K

Does anyone on the board have anything to share re: any of the doctors on the Island Princess, specifically?

Thanks~

We were on the Island to Hawaii on 26 Sep 06. My mum developed flu and we went to the medical centre. The doc was very caring and professional. He provided medication and treatment and kept her in for a few hours observation. His prediction on recovery was spot on. His nurses were also excellent. He was South African.

Does anyone on the board have anything to share re: any of the doctors on the Island Princess, specifically?

Thanks~

We were on the Island to Hawaii on 26 Sep 06. My mum developed flu and we went to the medical centre. The doc was very caring and professional. He provided medication and treatment and kept her in for a few hours observation. His prediction on recovery was spot on. His nurses were also excellent. He was South African.

Archived