shark cage on Oahu?

Cruising Aussie Mum

I would NEVER do this, but we've known quite a few who have done it. Most really loved it. I did know of two teenagers who went last summer and got horribly seasick in that cage and threw up--apparently a not very pleasant experience for them!! Of the ones we've known who have gone, you have to be there pretty early in the morning. Just FYI. Maybe there are some later times, too.

Susan

We did this tour at the beginning of October. It was the best excursion of our whole holiday, bar none. If you can, book for the earliest booking, as the swells are not up as much; however, if you feel the motion, take your seasickness medication. It is well worth the $100 per person, and we tipped the crew nicely as well. During our swim, we were surrounded by what must have been 2 or 3 dozen sandbar and galapagos sharks of varying sizes, but the cream on top was when two enormous tiger sharks, including a female who tipped in at 13 or 14 ft and 800 pounds, showed up and gave us a show. Mouthing the cage, snapping at the rope baits, thrashing around and all that good fun stuff. An absolute rush, and a really good two or three hours.

Cheers! Mal

Spleen, it was great, thanks. I posted a fairly lengthy review on the Carnival board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=424694) but basically, we had a ball. The islands were amazing, and the four of us are considering a week or two in Kona for a holiday - it was that nice. And yes, retirement from the RAN (if not working life JUST yet) is going just nicely, thank you very much :D

Thanks for all your good advice on the boards, BTW - we had a ball in Hawaii, both during and after the cruise.

Cheers! Mal

Has anyone tried going down in the shark cage off the north shore of Oahu? It looks exciting, but at around $100 per person for a family of 4, I would really like to hear from someone who has done it. Thanks:)

My husband did this in September and loved it! I went along for the boat ride but was the picture taker from above! There were many sharks and the large 14 foot tigershark that the mate on the ship proceeded to tease and play tug-o-war with off the back of the boat with a marlin skin!

It was amazing and made his trip to Hawaii something he will never forget! The name of the outfit was Hawaii Shark Encounters!

Archived