Hubbard Glacier/Alaska - Has your ship made it there?

mrstay

We are booked for the Mercury cruise next year and it goes to the Hubbard Glacier. One of my friends that is going with me mentioned that she heard that sometimes the ships cannot make it through because of the ice. We are going in mid- September. I could see that happening maybe in May. Has anyone had Hubbard on their itinerary, yet your ship was unable to make it there? If so, what time of year were you cruising?

I have been there twice, once in late August, once in late June.

In August it was so rainy we saw nothing. In June, it was simply breathtaking! Our Captain got us so close and turned the vessel all the way around. We spent over 2 hours there and she was very active.

It is my most special memory in Alaska of my 5 visits. I was on RCI.

Tammy - when we went during the first week of Sept ('03) we had a beautiful day at the Hubbard Glacier - clear sunny skies, calm seas .... and we got about as close as a cruise ship can get to it (so the captain said) and stayed for approx. 2 hours.

We were on the Summit in September and we got very close and the capt kept us there for what seemed like hours - I came home with 200 pictures of it! It was great - probably the best day of our cruise for us. I took these from our balcony.

[attach]30581[/attach]

[attach]30582[/attach]

We are booked for the Mercury cruise next year and it goes to the Hubbard Glacier. One of my friends that is going with me mentioned that she heard that sometimes the ships cannot make it through because of the ice. We are going in mid- September. I could see that happening maybe in May. Has anyone had Hubbard on their itinerary, yet your ship was unable to make it there? If so, what time of year were you cruising?

We cruised the Hubbard Glacier aboard Summit, in mid September 2005. We had an absolutely perfect weather day - sunny and clear. All the crew were remarking on how close we got to the glacier, and how much sun we had. The ship seemed to remain for hours, and the captain slowly rotated the ship, so we had a constantly changing view. Hubbard Glacier was truly the highlight of our cruise, next to the Inside Passage scenery. Enjoy, and I wish you wonderful weather that day.

We saw Hubbard Glacier on September 13. The day was clear, the seas calm. We got within 75 meters of the face, (the CD said). Whatever, it was magnificent. Great calving, wonderful sounds, and super chance for pictures. It was cool, but not cold. Just right for a Bailey's laced hot choclate.

littleglacier.jpg.d1a51be6cbbda1c73d7d88883b32bcaa.jpg

Archived