Super easy updo you can do yourself!

Anatresia

I found this very EASY updo "how to" today online and wanted to share it with you. I usually suck at these, no matter how "easy" they say they are to do, but this one really worked.

I think it would work well in cruise situations. It stays tight, so you could wear it on excursions and not worry about it getting too messy or too hot, hanging on your shoulders. And you can dress the style up for dinner.

Tips I found- I used a sock the color of my hair, in case the sock shows through (yes, I said sock- read the how to and be amazed.) :D And I used two skinny ponytail holders- one before I put the sock on, and the one they suggest you use after. Oh, and I added those chopstick hair stick things to make it extra awesome.

I hope others are as impressed as I was with this easy updo.:) It looks really good on girls with long, Princess hair, but I think those of us with medium-long length hair can pull it off okay.

The link:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=288240&postcount=4

Mine (click it for a bigger view)

2563696430065999571RyqswK_th.jpg

Thank you for sharing!

Doesn't she have the best looking hair ever? It's what I think anyway.

You did very well with your own hair. I'm not good at these things but I'll try this one since you say it is very easy.

Thanks!

JP

I think I still have one of those round mesh bun forms from when I was a kid--I'll have to try this out. Not sure my hair is long/thick enough to get good coverage from this.

What I often do is put my hair in a ponytail and then flip it through itself halfway and pin in place.....

Thank you for sharing!

Doesn't she have the best looking hair ever? It's what I think anyway.

You did very well with your own hair. I'm not good at these things but I'll try this one since you say it is very easy.

Thanks!

JP

Yeah, that girl in the demo has the most beautiful, princess hair ever. BUT, i suspect she really works at it, considering she belongs to a "long hair" bulletin board. I checked out the rest of that site and it seems intense- vitamins and food for your hair- weird stuff.

THANKS!!! for this post.

My daughter can almost sit on her hair. She is Chinese and her hair is jet black and so silky it is difficult to keep up in ponytails. I about died getting all her hair up in a bun that would stay for her dance recital this past spring!!

Anyway, she has this beautiful jeweled flower that is about 3" in diameter that is hooked onto a rubberband (it is not nearly as gaudy as it sounds!). I'm thinking I can use that as my 'first' rubberband, pull the flower through the sock and spread the hair around the flower. When it is finished, there will be a pretty flower in the center of that bun.

She recently discovered 'fishbone' braiding which holds her hair much better than a french braid. Her hair is so silky, it slips right out of a french braid.

ONe quick up-do I have done (with straight mid length hair) is I pull it back like I was making a pony tail but then twist it to the end. THen I pull it up ( and depending on the lenght at the time sometimes fold it over and kinda pull it to the side and secure it in place with a fancy hair comb. Sometime add a couple bobby pins and I get a quick verson if a french twist.

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing. I have very curly brown hair down to my sholder blades. I am going to try it up a little higher on my head and see how it looks...might end up wearing for formal night. I have been looking for something interesting to try. Thanks again!!!

This is a very easy do. My son is in the Airforce, and all the females on base have been wearing this for years. They make them soooo tight and perfect. I finally asked a cadet how she did it, and she unwound her hair to show me the sock. She said just use thinner socks for shorter hair, thicker for longer. So easy and painless. I love the look!

Amy

I didn't get it until I put it into practice. Take a sock. Cut the toes off. Start at the toes and roll the sock up- when it's all rolled it will have a hole in the center, like a scrunchie. Use a thin sock if you have shorter hair (mine is about four inches past my shoulders and that's short for these purposes) and a thick sock or two socks for longer hair.

If you cut the toes off a sock, it's really easy to figure out from that point. :)

I didn't get it until I put it into practice. Take a sock. Cut the toes off. Start at the toes and roll the sock up- when it's all rolled it will have a hole in the center, like a scrunchie. Use a thin sock if you have shorter hair (mine is about four inches past my shoulders and that's short for these purposes) and a thick sock or two socks for longer hair.

If you cut the toes off a sock, it's really easy to figure out from that point. :)

That bright light you see is the lighbulb going on over my head! Now I get it !!! Thanks! :D

You know this reminds me of what my mom (who is now 83) used to do when she was young (in the '40s) with her hair. Ladies would have all sorts of pre-formed 'rolls' and then hair-pin them on their heads on various places and then cover the forms with their own hair. You can see this done al ot in old-classic movies made in the '40s. So I guess we are just going back again with fashion to a great idea used before.

I think your hair looks great. I would suggest on formal nights, maybe you could curl some of the longer hairs that stick out to make it more 'glamorous' for that evening...like the photo of the gal in the instructions did.

:) Happy Hair-Styling and Cruising!:)

I think your hair looks great. I would suggest on formal nights, maybe you could curl some of the longer hairs that stick out to make it more 'glamorous' for that evening...like the photo of the gal in the instructions did.

:) Happy Hair-Styling and Cruising!:)

I agree about the long strands- I hope my hair is longer by then- my stylist and I are trying desperately NOT to cut it, no matter how much I want to (I'm a trimaholic for the healthy, fresh look.) And it's naturally wavy- I straightened it the day I did the example- so I totally agree that it will look better with the curls.:D

I will probably wear it down for the formal nights, though- after growing it that long, I really would hate to hide it in an updo! LOL.

Ok, I tried it and it works great!!! My hair always falls because it is too heavy. This stays in really good. When it is up, all you see is curls from the front. I also pull at the bun piece in the middle and it gets covered with more curls and is hidden. I am definitly wearing for formal night with some little picks - Thanks again!

I seen this post the other day, but didn't reply as everyone else said what i was going to say anyhow... BUT, I had to share this...

The state fair is in town and we went yesterday. I saw them selling basically this same home made kit, (only difference was it matched hair color) for 30 bucks!!! Couldn't believe it!

It had the same thing as the sock part, with a matching pony tail holder! I was cracking up!

Anyhow, thanks for the post. I have shoulder length hair and not sure if i will do it or not, but its such a great idea!:)

This is a godsend.

One daughter does a lot of iceskating, and her hair needs to be out of her face, and the other daughter is in the air cadets, and she has to wear her hair up.

Both thought I was well bonkers when I went through the washing basket for an old sports sock.

But now, I am a genius!....they love it, and it takes minutes..and best of all it stays in place.

regards,

BD

Wow I wish I had the long hair to do this....reminds me of a doohicky my mom had in the 60's, I think it was kind of wirer-y. She also was an expert at french rolls, I think that is what you call it. Sideways bun on the back of the head.

Anatresia and GreytRacer, love your pups. We work with Greyhound Rescue in SoCal and have had 3 of our own, all since passed now. We still have one in the house, belongs to my folks, a black girl named Cookie and she is about 10 now. We did a lot of fostering when we lived in SoCal, greyt pets....

We also have a 4 year old dachshund, Halo. Inherited him from son's former girlfriend but we had him around a lot when he was a little puppy. He was a puppy when our other dogs, a lab mix and dalmatian, were puppies so it's nice to have him 'home'. He had grass allergies and this young gal just couldnt afford to treat him. We have artificial grass in our backyard so it worked out perfectly and in the 3 months he has been here, he is completely itch and rash free. He is a joy to have around. He is my little lap dog.

Have a great evening and thanks for letting me dog-talk.

This is a very easy do. My son is in the Airforce, and all the females on base have been wearing this for years. They make them soooo tight and perfect. I finally asked a cadet how she did it, and she unwound her hair to show me the sock. She said just use thinner socks for shorter hair, thicker for longer. So easy and painless. I love the look!

Amy

I just learned about this too! My brother recently graduated from AF basic training. While at one of the events during graduation weekend my mother and I asked a few of the female graduates how they got their hair so perfect. I was amazed that a simple sock could make a perfect up-do.

We also have a 4 year old dachshund, Halo. Inherited him from son's former girlfriend but we had him around a lot when he was a little puppy. He was a puppy when our other dogs, a lab mix and dalmatian, were puppies so it's nice to have him 'home'. He had grass allergies and this young gal just couldnt afford to treat him. We have artificial grass in our backyard so it worked out perfectly and in the 3 months he has been here, he is completely itch and rash free. He is a joy to have around. He is my little lap dog.

Have a great evening and thanks for letting me dog-talk.

My boy is 3 and my girl is 2. He gets allergies, too. We treat him with fish oil pills for the fur loss and doggie benydryl when he gets itchy. :)

My mom has a lab, dalmatian and some kind of mix. Just thought it was funny that you have those breeds, too. :D

I never had a dachshund before this pair and they're awesome- they're like my children! Quite the personalities in these little buggers. Plus they're ridiculously cute.

Good morning,

I tried it last night and it worked well. I tried the ''half the hair'' version of it because I wanted a good look to go with my Hawaiian Halloween costume.

I feel stupid now because I realize I didn't roll the sock the good way... it's ok, it worked anyway but was not as thight as it could have been. I put 2 elastics + an elastic with hawaiian flowers all around, it looked good and I still had lots of hair on my back.

Thanks for this great easy updo!

• 2 months later...

Archived