Best Port for Cigars?

hamiltito

Am going on the Norwegian Star in November, and am wondering which of the four ports is best for buying cigars (especially those not available in the US for whatever reason ;) )? I'll gladly accept slightly worse selection for a much better price, and would prefer to not go out of my way for them if at all possible. Ports of call are Aculpoco, Ixtapa/Zihnuatenejo, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can get Cubans in any of those ports. Now, that being said you need to understand that most "Cubans" sold in Mexico (and elsewhere ) are counterfeits from elsewhere in South and Central America. A decent Cuban Cigar will still cost at least $15 -$20 (even in Mexico) and most do not want to pay that kind of price. About the only way to be sure is go to the really high class tobacco shops, which are usually found in the most expensive resorts. If you want to gamble on the smaller local shops, you need to do some homework on the internet and pray to the "Cigar God."

Hank

Good real cubans are very difficult to come by in Mexico due to so many being counterfeit. They will be expensive also. After much searching I am going to buy my cigars from J & J Habanos in Cabo when I am there in March 2007/ They look to be a very reputable shop and they have photos of themselves with Castro himself. They are on Madero basically just around the corner from Pancho's restaurant and not far from the tender dock. Here is their web site

http://www.jnjhabanos.com

Archived