Which Gaucho Ranch?

Brahmama

Hello,

We are going early to BsAs before our cruise in January.

One day we are going to a Gaucho Ranch and have 3 choices:

"La Tramontana" - "El Ombú" - "La Bamba"

I would appreciate your opinion about which one you enjoyed the most and any other comments.

Thanks,

Carol

• 4 weeks later...

Like you, my wife and I want to see the country side, but which ranch? The NYT (April 2, 2006) did a good write up of Buenos Aires and estancia El Ombu - but not sure they do any shows of gaucho skills, etc. However, they are near the town of San Antonia de Areco (which my guide book states is a real country town with many arts and crafts shops. Let's hope others share their experiences.

• 1 month later...

I went to El Ombu 2 years ago. I was there with a group and we chose to just do a relaxing day of fun with horseback riding, boardgames, shooting pool and a great "asado" lunch.

The ranch was gorgeous. That was one of the best days of my 2 weeks in Argentina. The owner, Eva, was a wonderful hostess and all of the staff there was so hospitable. They opened up the whole place to us and said to make ourselves at home. It was really cozy. We were there during the wintertime so, the fireplaces were going and they had empanadas and hot beverages waiting for us upon arrival.

Not sure if you are looking for gaucho shows and whatnot, but we didn't have that. I think they offer it, but that was not what were looking for. We did do horseback riding and got a chance to ride for a long time. The guys who led us out on he ride were gauchos or at least looked like it. ;) Those who didn't want to ride had the option of helping out with the bbq which was pretty fun b/c most of the food was cooked outside. The food was divine!! I couldn't stop eating. LOL!!

I don't have anything to compare El Ombu to, but it was a really nice relaxing day after having been all over Chile for 2 weeks and in Argentina for almost another 2 weeks.

eta: We also went into San Antonia de Areco on the way back to BA and it was pretty cool. Quite a few stores were closed, but of the ones that were open, I got some really nice silver jewelry and a few leather belts for my husband. It was a nice little town.

I do thank you for answering that rather old post - but since that time we have made a decision. Santa Susanna Ranch is the place that our Tour Guide has suggested and we have trust that he will know the best place for our needs. I truly know very little about it, but when we return, I will talk about it in our Trip Report.

We will only have one day. Sometime we would like to return (when the climate is pleasant - as it will be very hot in January) and spend several days on an Estancia!

Best wishes.

Carol

Archived