Pre Cruise Day In Seattle-what To Do??

Lizzybell

Hello, first off a big thank you to all who have asked and posted responses to so many helpful questions. DM & I are flying into Seattle a day early, what's the best way to get from Sea Tek airport to the Queen Anne District? We want to see Pikes Mrk and possilby have dinner there, any suggestions for the best method of transport from Queen Anne to Pikes Mrk and surrounding areas? What should we try and see in 1 afternoon and evening???? Thanks much, Liz Sapphire 7/18

:)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]We have used the shuttle buses to go to the Sheraton a couple of times. [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]The Sheraton is within walking distance of Pike's Market.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]We also used the monorail to get to the Space Needle - but unfortunately that is down because of a fire a few weeks ago in one of the cars. You would have to take a taxi there.[/color][/font]
:)

The Space Needle and the rest of Seattle Center are very nice. They do have a free bus that runs back and forth from the monorail stop downtown since the monorail is not running. The aquarium down on the water (by Pikes Market) was very nice, as well.

Your best bet to get from Sea-Tac to QA Hill is to cab it.

This weekend the forecast is for near-gridlock throughout downtown and in fact much of the city. Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is located) is hosting the Bite of Seattle food festival. Lots of fun but something like 50-75,000 people a day looking for unusual munchies.

The monorail is broken, maybe for good; the backup shuttle is being discontinued for the weekend because of the Bite, so traffic and especially parking will be a zoo, also because...

The National Governors' Conference is in Seattle this weekend, so the Homeland Security/Secret Service people are securitizing everything under the sun. Governor Bozo from some state or another (chair of the conference) said on the radio this morning that they were mindful of the "Madrid Effect," I guess referring to train bombs - geez, thanks your worship, just what we needed for the old peace of mind. If you're staying in one of the downtown hotels that has suites that can house governorships or their courtiers, don't be surprised if they want to look at your shoes and socks three times a day.

Plus, the Mariners, our former baseball team, are in town for a big series against the Cleveland Original Peoples, so a few dilusional fans will go to watch the national naptime at Safeco. Oh, he's so bitter...

And finally, [B]IT'S NOT PIKE'S MARKET[/B] it's the Pike Place Market, or just the Pike Market or just the Market. Pikes is a Peak in Colorado.

Welcome to the Emerald City. Watch out for flying monkeys.

Plus, the Mariners, our former baseball team, are in town for a big series against the Cleveland Original Peoples, so a few dilusional fans will go to watch the national naptime at Safeco. Oh, he's so bitter...

LOL!!!:eek:

Thanks to all for the info. It sounds like Seattle is going to be very busy this weekend what with all going on. If I take a cab, can we avoid downtown and the gridlock to Queen Anne District? Is so, what shall I ask/tell the cab driver? We are staying at an Inn right by the Seattle Center. Gardyloo- Thank you for the heads up on "Pike Place Market" & security issues-any suggestions as to the best way to go from the Inn to Pike Place Market Sat. afternoon? Much appreciate all info-Liz

Yeah, and I didn't even mention the STP - Seattle-to-Portland bicycle race (but they're all leaving town, some fast, some slow) or the half-marathon on Sunday.

Lizzy, I would ask the front desk of your hotel how they suggest you get around. I suspect they'll recommend you use the bus - $1.25 each way - as the most convenient mode. Unfortunately the Queen Anne neighborhood is hemmed in by lakes on two sides, Puget Sound on the third (sort of), so to/through downtown, right past Seattle Center, is the only way to get to/from QA.

I don't want to overstate things - even when it's jammed, Seattle is no LA, publicity to the contrary.

Archived