Flying into Houston day before, stay near airport or NCL port?

barbwire

We are new to cruising..

We are flying in to Houston on a Friday for a Saturday cruise departure. Would it be better to stay near the International Airport or near the port?

I understand you can only get transfers from NCL for the day of the cruise.. but is there anything to do near the airport?

Unsure which would be better in terms of things to do, as well as $$ for cost to get to the port.

Any advice? Please!

We are flying in to Houston on a Friday for a Saturday cruise departure. Would it be better to stay near the International Airport or near the port?

If you're leaving from Galveston, I would go there and spend the night. There are interesting things to see, and a number of fine restaurants.

I understand you can only get transfers from NCL for the day of the cruise.. but is there anything to do near the airport?

There's nothing of interest in the immediate vicinity. If you rent a car, I suggest driving a little north to Old Town Spring.

barbwire, if you are cruising Norwegian, you will be leaving from "Barbours Cut" which is located in LaPorte Texas. LaPorte is a small town due east of Houston. There are several hotels in the area, but there is not much to do after hours unless you have a car rented.

The terminal area is located in an industrial area of the town and there is nothing out there. If you have a car, the Kemah Boardwalk is within 10 miles or so and offers several nice places to eat and things to do. There is a new upscale Italian restaurant in LaPorte, "101 Main" and they serve very good food. Night life in that area is nonexsistant, unless its friday night football. We life in Deer Park and its 5 miles west of LaPorte and its much of the same.

Barbwire, I second Dannymacs idea of the Kemah Boardwalk. I would also like to include that leaving out of Barbors Cut (Houston) you may want to considor staying in the Clear Lake area which is not far from the Kemah Boardwalk and probably only about 10 miles (I think) from LaPorte off of HWY146

try these links

www.clearlakehotels.com for places to stay in the Seabrook area

www.kemahboardwalk.com for more info on the Kemah Boardwalk

Dan

barbwire, FYI: Highway 146 is not yet a highway rather a good road 4 lane in some places 2 lane in others, but it runs N & S along Galveston Bay from La Porte to Galveston. If you stay close to 146, you will not have a problem driving around the area. The Clear Lake area is booming and there are several nice hotels to stay at. Many places to eat, shop etc. The Boardwalk is the center piece for the area and can become crowded, but it is well worth the experience.

Deer Park is a small bedroom community about 5 miles west of La Porte and has several new hotels on Center St. But no restaurants that stay open late. There is the Chinese Place, Antonio's, some fast food places but thats about it. I mentioned DP because you may get a good price on a hotel room. There are a few (5) Mexican restaurants on Spencer road which is located at the south end of the town.

Hope this helps, have a great cruise.

Archived