Inspiration Camp Carnival

Latte Lover

My kids love it.. Just be aware kids at 9 can sign themselves out. Didn't like that too much... Now our boys are 17, 15 and 7. So the teens meet up with others and do the teen stuff. My 7 year old has been going to camp carnival since he is 2. He still talks about it and we're not leaving until 2/20.

When you board, you'll get a printed schedule with an hour by hour breakdown of everything they'll be doing in your child's age group (your children will be in different groups), every hour of every day of your vacation. It's nice to have that separate itinerary so that you and your children can decide what they want to do (e.g participate in t-shirt painting from 10-11; but skip PS2 time from 11-12). when you get on board, look for the camp carnival rep at embarkation. get the time and location for the evening registration and informational mtg and get a muster station band placed on your child's wrist (this will be required for the 8 y/o and possibly the 10 y/o too. i think it's req until age 11). They can sign themselves out after age 9, provided you give permission for this). They will have a great time and will meet kids from all over the country. it'll be a great treat for them. more general info on each age group can be found on CC link on the carnival website.

Thanks for the info. Can we request to keep my boys together? What is the age break? They will be disappointed if they are in separate groups.

The age groups are 2 -5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14 and 15-17.

Whether they will allow your 8 year old to move up, is up to the Camp Carnival Directors for those age groups. Since you are cruising in February, if it is a time when school is normally in session and there are not a lot of kids, they will be more likely to allow the move. Also if your 8 year old is close to being 9, that will help as well. I can't see them moving a 10 year old down to the 6-8 level.

Just attend the orientation meeting. Meet with the counselors and ask nicely. Don't try to "infer" your child is older (I am not saying that you would) ...they have the ages on a manifest. If there is any way possible, they will work with you. However, understand if they only have a few 6-8 year olds and the 9-11 are really overloaded...it may not happen.

I can't see them moving a 10 year old down to the 6-8 level.

I agree. It'll be easier to get the 8 y/o moved up, especially if he is closer to age 9. Last cruise, someone we met the first day had her daughter (who had just turned 12), moved down to the 9-11 group. her daughter felt uncomfortable being with the older kids and wanted to be moved down. Her mother told the CC counselors exactly that, and they moved her down without any problem. But your 10 y/o is right in the middle of the 9-11 age group. They won't want to put him in a group that has some 6 y/os, and he won't want to be there either, i bet.

We were traveling with 3-11 year olds, 2 were able to move up but not the 3rd, not sure why. They all decided to try some of the 9 to 11 year old activites but were not interested in any. If you have a girl in the 11 year old range you know pleasing them is a little hard. We were dissapointed in what they had to offer, we didn't think that there was much in either age group to do. It was fall break so there wasn't too many kids maybe the activites would have more fun if there were more kids.

Personally, my two boys liked having their own "domain". They started when they were around 5 and 8 and have always been in 2 separate age groups.

Now the oldest is 18 and going on his first "grown up" cruise with us on the Fantasy in December. The youngest is 15, so he will still be in Club O2.

We too sailed the Inspiration last february and had almost the same problem. My DD turned 9 in Dec, but my niece was only turning 7 on the cruise. We asked about it and my dd going down a group was the only option. Even at that they were kinda iffy about it but they did let her do it. Here is the problem...DD started getting grouchy and irritated. After finally prying it out of her she admitted that she was not having a good time at all because she was too bored! She didn't want to hurt her cousins feelings but she really wanted to be in her own age group. So then, I just kept bringing her to the 9-11 yr old stuff and everyone was fine. FYI: 9-11 yr old are allowed to sign themselves IN and OUT which I would not let DD do. I did not feel comfortable with her running around a ship looking for us.

Good luck - you will have a fantastic time!

Archived