Cruise Shippers

I'd love to hear folks' experiences with this. I'm planning on sending the majority of my luggage home from Ketchikan next summer in Alaska. May do the same with part of my luggage from Honolulu in January.

If anyone has had positive experience with this, I may even consider it for all luggage roundtrip for the Jan cruise.

I came accross this website and think it sounds like a GREAT idea, and am planning to use them on my next cruise.

Wondering if anyone has already used them and what your experience was. Good, Bad, or indifferent. Inquiring minds want to know.

http://www.cruiseshippers.com/

How expensive this service is. Wouldn't it be something if it cost more for our 4 bags to travel than the 2 of us. :eek:

How expensive this service is. Wouldn't it be something if it cost more for our 4 bags to travel than the 2 of us. :eek:
and......will Cruise Shippers pick up my bags, outside my door the night before we disembark....:)

There is a small article written up in todays Parade colored section, page 13, for Baggage-delivery services. It says that it costs, $130 - $460 to ship one,(1) 35 lb. bag from L.A. to New York overnight. It does not give the names of these company's, but it says business is booming.

It says Disney is offering their guests a similar service for a low fee or free.

That seems totally ridiculous just to travel without bags in my opinion.:eek:

I sure hope the one you found is cheaper that that. ;)

There is a small article written up in todays Parade colored section, page 13, for Baggage-delivery services. It says that it costs, $130 - $460 to ship one,(1) 35 lb. bag from L.A. to New York overnight. That seems totally ridiculous just to travel without bags in my opinion.:eek: I sure hope the one you found is cheaper that that. ;)

At $460 a bag for our normal 4 bags :eek: , we can travel cheaper than our bags (Mexico and Caribbean for sure). :o

I plan to ship DHL next July our largest suitcase for $130. Using Cunard's White Star service they will pick up the bag at my front door and the next time I see it will be in my cabin. It's certainly worth it for us in our situation.

I have used their services twice. I sent one bag to Freedom when we went for the inaugural trip. This was a "test" to see if it would work for all of our bags the next month on Rhapsody. I had emailed ahead of time to confirm they did Miami and Galveston. They confirmed yes they did. Well, the test on FOS went great. The one bag got there just fine and returned home just fine. The bag made it to our stateroom on FOS pretty much along with the other bags. On the return though you must claim your bag and take it outside the terminal building to give to the representative. No big problem there....just an FYI. However when it was time to ship the bags the next month for the Rhapsody trip I did not receive the "packet" with all the info in it. I sent three emails with no response. I finally called and was told they were having problems with the port agent in Galveston and could not do it. Well, this left me in a pickle since we were going in a small vehicle that would not accomodate our bags. I told them I could ship the bags to the hotel and get them to the ship myself since we were going down a day early but that put me in a real bind because on the return (on a Sunday) we were heading straight home and I would have no way to get them to Fedex myself. Well that turned out to be ok. Their rep was allowed to be outside the terminal to claim our bags upon return....they just couldn't give them to them to get onboard for departure. So for me, it all worked out...but could have been disastrous. It actually worked well for me....because the fee for the return portion was higher than I had anticipated.....they said the bags weighed more than I thought they did. Of course, going down was cheaper than I had anticipated since it was just the cost of the Fedex service. So it all worked out for me. Sorry to be so long winded....but wanted to give you all the info. I wouldn't have a problem shipping one or two bags in the future but I would make sure it had the "extras" and take the "essentials" along with me! Hope this helps a little.

Hi Skiiergirl - thanks for the review. Do you recall what the charges were for the single bag you sent on your FOS trip? If the price is right, this service could solve a big problem for me!

It depends on the weight of the bag and the service you choose...gold, silver, etc. If you go to their website it tells you the cost per pound for each of the different services and then you just have to figure what the weight of your bag will be. It is expensive but was worth it to us based on our mode of transportation for that particular trip. Hope this helps.

We used cruiseshippers.com last month on our Alaska cruise with mixed results.

To Seattle: cruiseshippers didn't send us the info in time, so they automatically upgraded us to the next level of service. Nice touch! The luggage was waiting for us in our stateroom.

From Seattle: We claimed our luggage and went to the concierge, as instructed by cruiseshippers. The concierge wouldn't accept the luggage, citing liability reasons. Holland America agreed to accept the luggage after running in circles for 20 minutes. The Holland America rep cautioned that the port was only opened on weekdays and that FedEx would need a gate code to get in. I called cruiseshippers with that info, FedEx finally picked up our luggage three days after we docked. Luggage arrived back about a week later.

All-in-all, a few wrinkles, but well worth not having to haul two 60 pound bags ourselves.

Good luck!

Archived