Not able to Tender .. when?

ClerkPatsy

I'm just curious .. We're going to Grand Cayman in January, 2007.

I was wondering how many people have been on a cruise and could not stop in GC for whatever reasons ... weather .. time ... ship trouble? And, if you were one of the unlucky ones, what month and year did this happen in? If you can remember.

The ability to tender in to GC is often restricted due to wind conditions chopping up the seas, and making the tendering process risky. I have heard (from a ship captain) that 25-40% of the time GC is too windy to tender. My personal experience is 33% (tendered 4 times, diverted twice). I'm not sure that any time of year is better or worse (except during hurricanes!!)

Was there mid-late January 2005 and it was dicey for a bit. Captain was out circling the ship with a lifeboat and ultimately made the call to let it happen. We were worried he would not allow it, but he did. Waves were a bit crazy and it was windy, but I am glad we went for it. Had a great day.

We have been to GC 4 times & were very lucky to be able to tender each time. One time we went in March 2005 & tendered. Our friends went 2 weeks before us & couldn't tender.

We go again this Nov. & hope we can tender again!

Gail

Was there this past Janaury (mid-January) and we weren't able to tender because of "rough seas". Alot of unhappy people when they announced we couldn't go. So we just got to see GC briefly from our balcony for about 15 minutes before we started heading back to Galveston. Will be trying again next January! :)

We tendered on Oct. 11, as well as our previous visit in June, 1999. On A land based visit for 5-days in Oct., 2003, the cruise ships appeared to be tendering every day, as evident by the cruise passengers on shore.

We were there last November and were BARELY able to tender. The ship did not anchor at Georgetown but on the south, calmer side of the island. Still, the tenders were tossing up and down so hard, I thought we were going to lose people overboard! :eek:

We were not able to tender a couple years back in March.

Tendered in Aug 2005, but in the afternoon the waves really kicked up and the tenders had a tough time staying close to the ship for passengers to get off.

Tendering is more difficult in higher winds from the "normal" easterly directions or in lesser winds from the north to northwest. Both conditions are more frequent in the winter months.

Occasionally a large enough ocean swell, in the absence of strong or northerly winds, is enouogh to blow things out.

Finally, if a northerly wind is within certain parameters a few ships can be accomodated at the alternate tendering facility in Spotts. If you come in at Spotts, it is a bus or taxi ride to anywhere! There is nothing within walking distance of typical interest to cruising guests... no shops, beaches, or restaurants!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were there in March 2005. After they tendered 1 boat to shore, they determined it was too dangerous to tender any more boats over. So... we had to sit on the ship all day and wait while the people on the first tender enjoyed the island all day. What a bummer to go there and only see it from afar. We are sailing on the Valor in August and are stopping in GC. Hopefully we will get ashore this time!

3 times I've had good luck. End of January, end of April, and 1st week of November...no problems. I hope my luck holds because we are going in 3 weeks and I picked this cruise based on it going to Grand Caymens. I'm bringing my children and think that its once in a lifetime experience to swim with the stingrays. On the upside, if we don't tender I'll save a TON of money and they're kids....they have plenty of time for once in a lifetime experiences :)...LOL my parents never took me on a cruise when I was a kid :) so as far as I'm concerned if we make it onto the ship we are good!

We missed GC last month (Dec. 5) due to high winds.

Parents made GC on their cruise last January.

Brother and sister-in-law missed on their cruise this past July due to high winds.

Moving forward, if I book a cruise and GC is a scheduled port, I'll assume it will be a sea day, that way if we make it, it will seem like a bonus!!

The ability to tender in to GC is often restricted due to wind conditions chopping up the seas, and making the tendering process risky. I have heard (from a ship captain) that 25-40% of the time GC is too windy to tender. My personal experience is 33% (tendered 4 times, diverted twice). I'm not sure that any time of year is better or worse (except during hurricanes!!)

Holly Moley, Patsy! I am 2 for 2. I was able to tender both times I went. If this is correct, my odds are getting smaller. I will be so bummed if we miss it.

Archived