Favorite Places/Kenai Peninsula

cruisingw/mom

Allow plenty of time, especially along the Cook Inlet, loaded with interesting places and scenery. Request http://www.kenaipeninsula.com I most always make a meal stop at Gwin's in Cooper Landing. Nice for a break, very scenic area.

In Seward, with my halibut priority- (I eat it just about every day) I like the Showcase for their wonderful halibut chunks. :)

We thought Lands End in Homer was a great place to stay and to eat. The rooms looking out across the bay have the most beautiful view we saw in Alaska.

http://lands-end-resort.com/

Land's End has gone considerably downhill in the last couple of years. Their new building has NO elevator (3 stories), parking is almost non existent and their customer service leaves more than a lot to be desired.

I have been a very loyal Land's End customer for the last 7 years (every summer and ourselves and another couple bought one of the condos next door). I had made reservations for June 2006 in November 2005. Requested ocean side suite on the first floor (FIL cannot climb stairs well). When we checked in, I was given a second floor room and not the family suite. "No, that's not what I paid for".

"Sorry, we have a writer's convention and they have taken all the rooms."

I never did get a refund for the room difference (about $60.00 x 2), a change of room nor any kind of consideration. FIL had to struggle up the stairs and once he got there, would not leave until we checked out 2 days later. Needless to say, I will NOT be going back to Land's End hotel. The condos next door are a whole different ballgame. And yes, the views are to die for, but you can go on the beach for free or eat in the restaurant and get the same great view.

We had supper one evening at Christo's Palace in Seward. Nice selection of food, and everything was delicious. However, the service left much to be desired for so pricey a tab. We won't return.

I believe Chinooks was the name of another restaurant we had supper at while in Seward. Located on the waterfront, very good food, and great service. I had a halibut sandwich with fixin's, and portions were large enough that I had some left over for breakfast the next morning. We would definitely go back there again.

We RV'd so I have no recommendations for lodging.

Holiday Inn Express--New, clean hotel with free breakfast; a few feet from RR depot and a short walk to/from cruise terminal.

Ray's and Chinook's--Both were very good but expensive (of course)

Railway Canteen (?)--My halibut tacos were overcooked, but my wife's were perfect. Hit or miss "Southwest/Alaskan" food in carryout/informal setting

Christo's--Decent food but very average service; right across the street from Sealife Center so good place to grab something to eat before/after

Allow plenty of time, especially along the Cook Inlet, loaded with interesting places and scenery. Request http://www.kenaipeninsula.com I most always make a meal stop at Gwin's in Cooper Landing. Nice for a break, very scenic area.

In Seward, with my halibut priority- (I eat it just about every day) I like the Showcase for their wonderful halibut chunks. :)

I second Gwin's. I have been to Kenai twice and both times have eaten there. Last time I was there I had the most wonderful fish chowder with pieces of halibut and salmon in it. It was to die for and so is their homemade desserts.

Archived