Port Stanley, Falklands tours + Ushuaia

shifty

We just received the Shore Excursion booklet from Celebrity for our 12/30/06 South America cruise. The booklet shows several tours available for Ushuaia yet the website (where we booked all other tours) states that no excursions are available for this port.

When I called Celebrity I was told that the tours in this port are probably sold out, which is why the website shows no tours available. I am highly skeptical of this response, since the booklet just came out, and I find it hard to believe that all the tours would be sold out so early.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

For those of you who have been to Port Stanley, can you tell me if a hop-on hop off (or similar)bus is available? Or is a self-guided walking tour practical? We will have been to a port where we'll see penguins, and once is enough for us.

Thanks.

Mike S

For those of you who have been to Port Stanley, can you tell me if a hop-on hop off (or similar)bus is available? Or is a self-guided walking tour practical? We will have been to a port where we'll see penguins, and once is enough for us.

Thanks.

Mike S

The place is too small for HOHO. You can hire a local person (Population of falklands is 3000!) for a tour or walk around by yourself.

You will not see Gentoo or King Penguins anywhere else on your cruise. Only way to see tham in the Falklands is through a Celebrity tour which will be expensive!

In Ushuaia there are plenty of Beagle Channel tours available at the port.

Hi Dileep!

Recall we are with Princess. We have booked Sparrow Cove 9:30am -- the first tour is at 8:30am and there is a tour every hour after that. Is our time selection a good choice? Thanks. /Sultan

Yes. I regret not doing that! You will have enough time to walk around Port Stanley after your tour! Take a lot of pictures and share!

You will have a great time!

Dileep,

Have been looking everywhere for a way to email you. Have read all your info on S. America trip. We are leaving Nov. 27th and haven't booked 1 side trip. :( There will be 4 adults. Did you have all your trips planned ahead of time? Would greatly appreciate some links. We are desparate for some info. Unfortunately, we are leaving on Oct. 31 for a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. Don't know if we'll have Internet access there. :( If you wish to email me personally please feel free to do so. lattinla@tampabay.rr.com

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks much, Kathy

Dileep,

Have been looking everywhere for a way to email you. Have read all your info on S. America trip. We are leaving Nov. 27th and haven't booked 1 side trip. :( There will be 4 adults. Did you have all your trips planned ahead of time? Would greatly appreciate some links. We are desparate for some info. Unfortunately, we are leaving on Oct. 31 for a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. Don't know if we'll have Internet access there. :( If you wish to email me personally please feel free to do so. lattinla@tampabay.rr.com

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks much, Kathy

All my info is in my report thread listed in my signature which has had over 8000 views. All contact names and email addresses are listed there. Yes, we booked everything beforehand except for the Falkland Islands.

Hi Mike -

My husband and I are also going on the 12/30 Infinity cruise so I hope we get to meet you. Did you sign up for the Connections party??

Anyways, I just went on Celebrity's website and picked the tab - before you cruise/ book shore excursions/entered our reservation #, date, etc. I found lots of excursions for Ushuaia available. Did you go into your actual reservation?

Hope this helps!

Would you be interested in any private tours also?

Meg

In the last few days the Celebrity website listed tours for Ushuaia. Apparently the problem was that the cruise itinerary changed slightly & there was a delay in arranging things with the local tour company.

We had previously arranged private tours in Santiago (which will take us to the ship via Vina del Mar, et al), and to an estancia in Buenos Aires. Also a post cruise trip to Iguazu Falls. These were all arranged through Turismo Nuevo Mundo. In all other ports we booked excursions through the cruise line. The only exception is in Port Stanley, where we anticipate just walking around on our own.

Our biggest concern is what type of clothes to pack, since it appears that we will be in both hot and cool (hopefully not cold) climates.

It's getting closer!

Mike S

We did South America on Millie last March. What a wonderful cruise. Expect some rough seas and prepare for it. Just added drama and fun! About Falkland Islands, we were so pleased to get there since some cruises cancel due to weather. We took the Long Island Farm tour. Long drive through striking (not beautiful) landscape but it was fascinating. Saw remnants of the war with Argentina. Visited a farm where we saw lots of interesting features of the area, plus sheep and horses, and then had tea inside the tiny farmhouse. So interesting to see how these nice folks live. Once back in Port Stanley, we had time to walk around the village before returning to the ship. We enjoyed our experience there very much.

MEG...... My husband & I are also on the 12/30 Infinity SA Cruise. Ashamed to say we have made absolutely NO plans yet & departure is now less than two months away:eek:

We have signed up for the Connections Party (currently stands at FIFTEEN) but are definitely interested in "private tours" since it appears that Celebrity's shore excursions will just about equal the cost of the cruise :rolleyes:

MIKE.....Thanks for the tip regarding Turismo Neuvo Mundo; we will contact them for our transfer from Santiago to the ship on the 30th.

• 3 weeks later...
We had previously arranged private tours in Santiago (which will take us to the ship via Vina del Mar, et al), and to an estancia in Buenos Aires. Also a post cruise trip to Iguazu Falls. These were all arranged through Turismo Nuevo Mundo. .

Mike S

We're booked on the Infinity Jan 28th Valparasio to BA. We're your neighbors to the south in Maryland. Do you have any interest in adding 2 more to any of your TNM tours?

thanks, john

Archived