Daytime Luau?

PEFER33

Hey Phil. my brother lives in Peabody. I grew up south of Boston myself.

Well, Luaus are traditionally held in the evening because they like to do a ceremony at sunset (picture blowing conch shells, getting the roasted pig out of the ground etc)...plus its more exotic and romantic that way.

You can still get each of the elements while youre here. A luau dinner consists of kalua pig which you can get at any local eaterie. Fresh fruits, poke, and of course poi are also served at many places. There are quiet a number of 'free' hula type shows...and if your ship doesnt leave until after sunset, you can see one of these torch lighting/conch blowing events right in waikiki.

Many people dont like going to luaus here on Oahu because they feel mass produced and touristy (and the food is nothing to write home about) so if you absolutely cannot make one, dont feel like you totally missed out. You can catch some shows and local style plate lunches on every isle.

It sounds like youre not on one of the Norwegian Pride ships. If you are, I know there are overnighters in a couple of ports that might make a luau doable.

Pefer,

I'm afraid there aren't any daytime luaus. The nature of a luau is a feast and with the possible exception of say, a holiday or some cause for celebration, all the luaus we've seen are in the early evening.

It seems you have aleady made your cruise plans, so it's a moot point. That is, you won't be in port late. Some lines--Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, to name a few--stay overnight. We are on Maui right now and last week Celebrity's Summit spent thursday and friday in port. We've seen Carnival and I think, RCI do it as well. NCL is homeported here and once in a while one of their ships stays over and they have a luau at the Sheration Maui.

Failing this, I'd look into staying over a few days.

Better yet, ask a local who lives on one of the islands 24/7 (we're onyl part-timers).

SUEBEE: it's a small world, isn't it?

TO ALL: Thanks for the replies. We have some time and will continue to search. We chose the particular cruise because it includes our anniversary and my wife's birthday. One present - two occasions! Also, I'm not much for flying all the way out and/or back.

Phil

This probably isn't the place for this question, but hope I get an answer from someone who lives in the State or someone who knows something about it anyway.:)

Has anyone ever heard of Germaine's Luau on Oahu? Is this some place I could get an "luau" experience from without spending next years vacation funds, or should I just run, as fast as my little sea-leggs will take me, in another direction?

Thank you.

Archived