Flightsee McKinley or Don't Flightsee McKinley?

tapia

If you want to see if it works before actually waiting until you're on vacation, I would suggest a test run. Take one in the morning, then take a drive, preferably on some hilly winding roads. If you can get someone else to drive, sit in the back seat. That should do it. [grin]

Eh! Not sure if I want to test it!

But, I will mention it to my doctor before then & try to get one.

Thank you!

I

If you want to see if it works before actually waiting until you're on vacation, I would suggest a test run. Take one in the morning, then take a drive, preferably on some hilly winding roads. If you can get someone else to drive, sit in the back seat. That should do it. [grin]

Linda

At first I thought you were suggesting she take a Bonine and then drive on a hilly winding road! :eek: Glad you qualified that!

If the Bonine works for you, and there are several travelers who will also take it and/or you cruise several times a year - you might want to buy the generic Meclizine from your pharmacist. I bought a bottle of 100 from the Sam's Club pharmacy last March for ~ $6. A box of 8 Bonine tablets costs $4.29 at Drugstore.com (16 tablets are $7.69). I'm sure Wal-Mart would be less.

I tried something in January that worked fantastic for motion sickness. Although expensive (I was told between $100 and $200), if you get that queasy feeling a lot, it would be worth it. I don't normally have motion sickness problems, but we went sailing in PV on our anniversary last year. I had celebrated way too hard the night before, and didn't even really want to go on the boat. There was not enough wind for the sails, and the bay had large swells. Just when I was wondering how I was going to get through the day without ruining everyone else's time, the owner of the boat offered his new (I don't even know what they are called) electronic motion sickness wristbands. After he explained what they were, I said, "I think I'll try it." He said, "Tell me when." And I replied, "Right NOW!" 90 seconds later, I felt great. Whenever I started to feel the least bit uncomfortable, I'd press the little button on it, and "zap", and I felt fine. I was skeptical of the device, but desperate. And so thankful that it was offered to me and it worked.

I don't know if there are different brands, but I see them for sale on the internet for under $100. Although "Mythbusters" apparently showed they don't work, I see testimonials from quite a few people; here is a study of their use on pregnant women http://www.wstm.com/global/story.asp?s=1341354&ClientType=Printable

I almost bought one for my pregnant daughter a few months ago, but fortunately her naseau didn't last long.

If you try it, I sure hope it works for you. I have a friend we travel with frequently who gets motion sickness on every conveyance we try. I hope she has one for our next trip together.

I think my family is one of the few who was a bit less than thrilled with the 8 hour bus ride. Denali NP just wasn't what we expected... I'm very happy we went once, but I find there is much more spectacular scenery in other areas of Alaska than the DNP tundra. Perhaps we were just too early in the season for things to have 'greened up', but the park interior was mostly shades of brown. (And maybe it's because I'm so tired of brown due to the drought here that I can't see straight!) We did see quite a bit of wildlife... very nice, but we likely will not visit again anytime soon. I find coastal Alaska to be much more scenic.

However, I wouldn't have wanted to miss our view of Mt. McKinley (Denali) for anything, and as recommended, we wanted to take full advantage of being at DNP while there.

My photos from early June 2006, including wildlife, scenery, buses, and road can be seen here:

http://smar10.mysharedphotos.com/alaska%202006/layout2/120.htm

Half of page 6 and all of page 7 are Denali area. They are captioned.

This is my opinon, and my preference only. I'm not in anyway putting down what other's view as a highlight. That's one thing about Alaska... it offers so much that there's something for everyone!

Friends traveling with us LOVED the park. They can hardly wait to go back, and take more friends and family!

Having traveled in August to Alaska, I can definately recommend the flightseeing tour of Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna. When on the cruise we were unable to do any flightseeing tours due to weather conditions so we planned to view McKinley with K2 airline once our land tour began. K2 airline is awesome and we were even able to land on a glacier. The views were breathtaking.

Happy traveling:p

Thank you everyone for the information. I truly appreciate it.

Just wanted to let people know if they didn't already: Talkeetna Aero will not upgrade the toursaver coupons to the Anchorage flight - Day in Denali.

I will keep researching & see if we want to do the day trip from Talkeetna or use other means.

Thanks!

@sym: Those pictures look gorgeous. I can't wait to go to Alaska!

Do you know what kind of brand you used?

No, I don't, but if you aren't in a hurry, we're cruising next week with people who are relatives of the guy who loaned them to us. If I remember to ask them, I'll get back to you in about a month:)

Do you know what kind of brand you used?

No, I don't, but if you aren't in a hurry, we're cruising next week with people who are relatives of the guy who loaned them to us. If I remember to ask them, I'll get back to you in about a month:)

That would be great. Thank you!

Archived