NY City Marathon

zadina

Hi everyone. We are cruising on the Dawn on Nov 5th. Does anyone know if the ny city marathon is going to effect getting to the port from NJ? What time do you think we should leave in am? Thanks for the help!!:confused:

Although the race goes nowhere near the pier I would expect some delays depending on where in NJ you are coming from. Keep in mind the with the Narrows bridge closed early folks are going to have to find alternate ways to cross. I would be more concerned for anyone cruising out of Red Hook.

Check the radio for times at all the tunnels and bridges. It might be faster to take the Holland if the the Lincoln is backed up. The good news if you plan to arrive at the pier around 11 am you have 4 hours to cover any delay and still make the ship.

Should be far easier then fleet week :)

Hi everyone. We are cruising on the Dawn on Nov 5th. Does anyone know if the ny city marathon is going to effect getting to the port from NJ? What time do you think we should leave in am? Thanks for the help!!:confused:

The 59th Street bridge will also be closed.

You should be fine, just leave in the morning. If you have extra time you can always watch the runners on Central Park South.

Neither the 59th street Bridge nor the V-N are closed. The V-N upper level is closed but the lower level remains opened. The Marathon goes down 4th avenue in Brooklyn and leaves the Bridge before it merges back with the BQE. Simarily the 59th street bridge remains opened but personally I stay away from both on Marathon days as do most NYers and its why traffic won't be that bad that day---no one drives if they can avoid it. As long as you stay on the west side of Manhattan or use the Midtown tunnel and go immediately to the west side it should be of little concern.

Neither the 59th street Bridge nor the V-N are closed. The V-N upper level is closed but the lower level remains opened. The Marathon goes down 4th avenue in Brooklyn and leaves the Bridge before it merges back with the BQE. Simarily the 59th street bridge remains opened but personally I stay away from both on Marathon days as do most NYers and its why traffic won't be that bad that day---no one drives if they can avoid it. As long as you stay on the west side of Manhattan or use the Midtown tunnel and go immediately to the west side it should be of little concern.

From www.INGNYCMarathon.org.

Street and Bridge Closings

Most streets and bridges along the marathon route will be completely closed to traffic during the race. Plan your travel—and have your friends and family plan theirs—accordingly.

The following closing times are among those planned for Sunday, November 5. These times are subject to change.

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, Staten Island-Brooklyn

• Upper level (both directions): closed 12:01 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
  • Lower level, Staten Island-bound side: closed 7:00 a.m.-12:00 a.m.
  • Lower level, Brooklyn-bound side: closed 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
  • Please note that the bridge allows vehicular traffic only. No spectators or pedestrians (other than marathoners) are allowed on the bridge.

Fourth Avenue, Brooklyn

Closed 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

Pulaski Bridge, Brooklyn - Queens

Closed 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

Queensboro/59th Street Bridge, Queens - Manhattan

• Lower level: closed 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
  • Upper level will remain open

First Avenue, Manhattan, 59th Street - 125th Street

Closed 9:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

Willis Avenue Bridge, Bronx - Manhattan

Closed 7:30 a.m.-4:15 p.m.

Madison Avenue Bridge, Bronx - Manhattan

Closed 8:00 a.m.-4:15 p.m.

Fifth Avenue, Manhattan

Will reopen to vehicular traffic after 4:30 p.m.

Central Park Transverses

• 79th Street Transverse: open to motor vehicles and pedestrians all day.
  • 86th Street Transverse: open to motor vehicles and pedestrians all day.

whoops....I have a distinct memory that the lower level on the V-N was always opened in the past but I could be wrong, clearly the 59th street bridge is not closed as reported elsewhere. As I said I wouldn't go that way anyway. In any case the west side of Manhattan is hardly impacted and the Queens midtown tunnel is never closed. Traffic tends to be light on this day as people stay away from driving from my experience.

Archived