Who else leaves the world behind when they cruise?

flagger

I am beginning to think we are the only ones left who leave the world behind when we cruise or any type of travel. Laptops, cellphones all get left at home or at least turned off until we get to the airport in case of a flight delay. Anyone else not make a call or use a computer while on a cruise? It just feels so refreshing to cleanse the spirit.

On our very first cruise BCP (before cell phones), we realized that once we'd stepped foot on the ship, the rest of our lives had receded and we lived absolutely only in the moment. For us that's the best part of cruising -- we are ON VACATION and our only concern is what to do/not do/eat next! We are completely incommunicado; we turn off the cell phones and don't even take the laptop. For us, that's why a cruise is the very best vacation -- because we totally get away from it all.....

(And, boy, do we need it right now....!) :D

I don't really consider cell phones or laptops (as long as they are not work related) an annoyance...

I don't really use them on vacation...maybe for a DVD on the plane,etc or send a quick e-mail...

Cell phone is such a way of life now..With the Camera,MP3 etc...Its just kind of a way of life,heck its pretty much the only "watch" I have now...Its as much a part of my daily routine as my purse...

Not dependent on it or addicted or whatever...But its not a burden either..

I mean,we have TV's etc all over the ship...And PC's and Cells are just part of the lifestyle of today..

Now if you mean trying to use these items to stay in contact with everyone,everything,work etc no...I don't...But....

as soon as I can get

www.slingbox.com I am in trouble.:rolleyes:

On our last cruise we had all the gadgets listed, but with a purpose.

Laptop: to download photos from the camera to save space, or to watch a movie.

Cell Phone: to see the time and get back to the ship on time, and to call each other in case we got lost in port.

Not once did I check "myspace" e-mail or even cruise critic...but it did come in handy when booking our next cuise so I could see what dates would work.

The only business I did while away as pay a bill on payday that I forgot to schedule...and I could havedone that anywhere as it was a port day :D

Most of these things are a part of everyday life...sometimes I forget that there was a time before cell phones when I was unreachable...but having said that, when I'm on the ship, the laptop never leaves the cabin, and the phone is off and in the safe...i mean really, how long can someone really stay lost if they are on a cruise ship...they have to go back to the cabin eventually, right??

Cell phones are a HUGE No - No for us. We do bring our laptop only for movies and to load pics from our camera we will NOT be subscribing to in room Internet. My daughter might send an email or two to her soccer team and friends to say hi from the Caribbean but work is absolutely off limits :) After all we are on vacation!

I take my mobile but thats only encase of emergency other than that no internet access, no phonecalls home - nada...I dont care about anything else apart from my hols until I get home. If its a major emergency like a severe hospitilisation then family can reach me on the ship and if my house burns down then I dont want to know until I get home - nothing spoils my week of paradise a year :D

We take our cell phones, but they are only taken with us for the flight to and from port. Never use them once we board the ship. Same for the i-pod or portable CD player. We have never used a computer on the ship.....we both spend every work day tethered to a computer and NEEEEEED a break!

That's what I love about a cruise......no one can reach me without some effort!!

I do take the laptop and cell phone with me. The cell phone generally only gets used to tell my folks we are on board. I've never used it beyond the home port as anything other than a clock..it'll be in airplane mode on the ship so no calls can come through. As for the laptop, we use it mainly for photo and video storage but last year while we cruised we had a friend who was gravely ill and died, and I had a niece born so I wanted to have some connection to the world. Plus I have a personal message board of friends whom all met because our kids were born around the same month and each night I'd make a photo signature and show where we'd been that day. They got to cruise vicariously. :)

What world on a cruise ship were out of this world an out of our minds. never had a bad time on a cruise ship, even the time i left dw suit case in rental car . she was mad at me for 2 minates, but i have this secret way of making here happy...... Know not that, i give her my charge card an she was the best dress chic on the cruise ship. Frankie Cruise:cool:

Personally I organise the trip, control all insurance, hotels, passports etc and get DH & DS to the ship. After that I put my bag & phone in the safe and refuse to do anything for the entire duration of the holiday :D

I carry my seapass with me and a $20 note in case of emergencies but I let DH do the worrying while we're away - the change is good for him :D

On our last cruise (which was our first) we didn't turn our cell phones on at all, just had them when we stayed overnight in Ft Lauderdale. We don't own a laptop so that wasn't an issue, however, I did send my kids a couple of emails just to let them know how we were doing and to check on them.

A laptop is good security for digital pictures in case the memory stick fails. That being said, I have only taken the laptop once.

No news is good news. Therefore I will not turn on the TV in my stateroom for anything other than to see the ships position or what is on the menu.

In case of emergency, someone can contact RCI directly and get word to us somehow, I'm sure.

I am beginning to think we are the only ones left who leave the world behind when we cruise or any type of travel. Laptops, cellphones all get left at home or at least turned off until we get to the airport in case of a flight delay. Anyone else not make a call or use a computer while on a cruise? It just feels so refreshing to cleanse the spirit.

Yes for the most part! I'm considering bringin my laptop just to take the pictures off my camera if I run out of room on my memory cards. I know it's REALLY unlikely, but I'd hate for something to happen and lose my pictures!

I love vacations. Does anyone get that surreal "this really can't be happening" feeling along with the "please don't let anyone go wrong for me to miss this experience" while cruising? I've never done drugs but I bet it's a similar feeling... I CAN'T WAIT !!

One of the reasons I like to cruise! If I wanted to keep in touch, I would just go where I am easy to reach. I refuse to take my laptop, I do take my cell, but it gets put away, I seldom ever even log onto the ship board internet. I cruise to escape, to get away from phones, faxes, email, etc, why take it all with me? I dont watch much TV on board either, I can watch TV at home.

I always wonder why people feel the need to take movies, dvd players, playstations etc on a cruise, but to each his own. We all travel for our own reasons.

Not only did I leave my life behind...I left my DH behind....yup..really did....I was pissed about some stuff...and cancelled him..10 days of serenity ....

I always leave DH behind! We have NEVER been on a cruise as both of us passengers together. He worked on the ship when I met him. I cruise without him now and did then too! I love vacations without complications!

Nitra - what ship is your hubby on?

When I met him he worked on Rhapsody, started on Explorer. He left RCCL 5 yrs ago when we got married, due to immigration processing. Now he works for NCL America on Pride of Hawaii, started on Pride of America. He is home on vacation right now but goes back for his next contract in 3 weeks!

Archived