Who else leaves the world behind when they cruise?

flagger

One of the reasons I like to cruise! If I wanted to keep in touch, I would just go where I am easy to reach. I refuse to take my laptop, I do take my cell, but it gets put away, I seldom ever even log onto the ship board internet. I cruise to escape, to get away from phones, faxes, email, etc, why take it all with me? I dont watch much TV on board either, I can watch TV at home.

I always wonder why people feel the need to take movies, dvd players, playstations etc on a cruise, but to each his own. We all travel for our own reasons.

I agree 100% with you. I don't want to think about work or about the problems in the world when I'm on vacation. I cruise to get away from life's stress, not to bring it with me.

I only bring my cell phone so that when we get on the ship, we can meet up with others in our group who arrived at port at a different time. Then, no more cell phone until the last day, when we are back in port, to find the others and want to meet up to say good-bye.

As for email, forget it. I know I can easily buy a package, but then I'd be doing work for hours. So, I make this a "no computer" week too. Got a laptop this year, but still won't bring it on my cruise. This is a GETAWAY. The people I work with (and my clients) know ahead of time, there is no way to reach me so they will just have to wait!

The kids do bring a portable DVD player... but last cruise, they forgot the charger! So no technology for them either!

For me, electronics have no place in the mix with sun and fun!

ROFLOL. I have certainly felt like that before, though I would never have to guts to do it.

I had the guts......everyone I told was shocked....but I paid for it..and I am not having my time ruined....

and......I didnt call home for the whole 10 days...boy was he pissed......

but I had 10 daysof serenity.........

I am beginning to think we are the only ones left who leave the world behind when we cruise or any type of travel. Laptops, cellphones all get left at home or at least turned off until we get to the airport in case of a flight delay. Anyone else not make a call or use a computer while on a cruise? It just feels so refreshing to cleanse the spirit.

I have a cell phone at home, but use maybe 100 minutes a month. And I'm a lawyer. And I dont text message, dont get the internet or my email on my phone, even at home. I do none of it on a cruise. Maybe when we get on board, and we're still in port, we check in with the dog sitter to make sure she has found everything okay, the key worked, etc. Then put the cell phone away until we drive home after the cruise.

I tell my clients and opposing counsel that I will be out of the country and will not have access to internet or email or phone. I tell them in an absolute dire emergency they can call the ship, shore to ship rates of $8 or 9 a minute charged to their visa or mastercard. and no one has ever found the emergency to be worth the call.

DS watches the DVD player in the car on the way down to the port, but not on the ship. he can have his hand held game boy thing, but must turn the sound off.

i go on a cruise to relax. if others want to cruise in another fashion, thats their right--but dont talk on the cell phone so that i can hear the conversation, please do that in the business center or in your stateroom, and hopefully not on the balcony next to mine.

We have taken a laptop along in the past, to watch movies. But we found it was too much hassle, too heavy and cumbersome and we just will get a pay-per-view now if we really need to. I have a tablet DVD/CD player now, it's much smaller and lighter in weight. But, I think I'll only be taking it on trips where we drive.

I'd rather take an extra memory card rather than a laptop, I can wait until we get home to look closely at our pics.

We take one cell phone, turned off, only for travel emergencies, or to call home if the kids aren't with us.

We both, fortunately, have the type of jobs that we can absolutely leave behind. I know there are many who do work, some just a bit, some a couple of hours a day. But to me, it is no vacation if you have to even give a second thought to your job. Vacations are for relaxation and a time to reconnect with the human side of yourself and your family.

I am beginning to think we are the only ones left who leave the world behind when we cruise or any type of travel. Laptops, cellphones all get left at home or at least turned off until we get to the airport in case of a flight delay. Anyone else not make a call or use a computer while on a cruise? It just feels so refreshing to cleanse the spirit.

You are so exactly right. I won't criticize people who have to use the internet or cell phones on their trip, but getting away from the world for 7 days was exactly what I needed and it was wonderful. During my trip, the only thing I wanted to know about was the NFL draft, and I caught some of it in a sports bar onboard.

PS- I'm a Network Administrator/IT type person too many computers and too many cell phones everyday. This was my reason for cruising.

I leave everything behind!! We never call home, use the internet....etc...the only electronic devices we ever bring are our cameras although this time I'll be bringing my Ipod to watch movies/shows/music on the plane and to hold pics. I'm not gonna lie though, when I was on a 12 day mediterranean cruise w/mom this past May I attempted to keep in touch with my boyfriend (we've been together for 9 years so it was a long time to not talk to your best friend!) by bringing my cell and lo and behold it didn't work EVER!! It must have known that that's just the way I roll :D . I think I used the internet once to let him know we indeed made it to Rome - that's the most I've ever communicated while on a cruise. I really try to take myself off the grid!

Laura

Archived