Good Deal?

mt_goodrich

Please forgive me if this is not the place or an appropriate posting. I am very new to this site and have been reading posts for days trying to get up the courage to take the next step of actually booking a cruise.

I finally sent a request for a price on a cruise for January 8, 2005 on the Grand Princess. I won't state the price, but I would like to know if the locations are good or not, since I am lost when "Category" is mentioned:

Outside Double, Category FF

Balcony, Category BB

Are these good locations? The price quote seemed along the lines of what I have been seening online and somewhat less. The quote also included $100.00 on board credit.

Cat FF are obstructed view non-balcony cabins on the Emerald deck. You will be looking at a shuttle/lifeboat. For less than a hundred dollars per person more you can get a Cat CC on the Lido.

Cat BB rooms, depending on the room number are located on the Aloha, Caribe, Dolphin and Emerald decks..

Myself, I am partial to balconies..

Don't be shy, only on rare occasions do we eat our young..:D

We are always happy to help. The categories you mentioned aren't locations but categories, they are both quite nice.

What deck the Cat BB is on will make a difference too. If you can snag a BB cabin on Caribe deck you will have a much larger balcony that is half covered as opposed to totally exposed to cabins above.

Hi,

I have read in several places that any cruise you can buy for under $100 a day (per person) should be considered a good deal. Of course, there are tons of variables figured into that (inside v. outside cabin, quality of cruise line, etc).

My husband and I are paying just under $100 per day for a balcony cabin on Dawn Princess in December. But we have sailed on Celebrity--which some would argue is a step above Princess--for as little as $55 per night for a window cabin during October and February.

The bottom line is this: Know your budget and know your vacation desires and then find a cruise to fit both. You'll never feel ripped off. Also, if you find a cruise you're interested in, check it often, often, often because rates can vary wildly day by day (including incentives of hundreds of dollars in ship-board credits). Sites like Cruise Critic can really save your hide because with all this information, you'll have a pretty good understanding of what you're buying.

Cheers

I figure in SBC then divide the Total price by the number of cruise days - (I do not include the insurance or air cost)

- If I can sail in a Mini-Suite for (approx.) $150 per diem pp :D - I consider that a good deal -

If I can sail in a Balcony Cabin - for (approx.) $125 per diem pp :D I consider that a good deal.

I do not book less than Balcony, so have no comparison there...but think per diem prices would be substantially less.....

This is for 2005 cruises----

I find that prices have gone UP substantially....

There is NO WAY I could ever repeat my $29 per diem pp Mini Suite sailing on the 30 day Regal Princess sailing April 2003 --spoiled me forever!!! LOL!!

Renee (aka GotToCruise)

We love the BB category for location.

Have had a BB on the Golden, sister ship to the Grand (i.e. ships are the same layout).

We were on the Aloha deck with a fully covered balcony. That means that no one above you can look down onto you when you're on you're balcony.

We never book lower than balcony cabins.

There is nothing wrong with an obstructed view room, you will have a window to let in the light and the obstruction may be minimal. The outside rooms are a little larger than inside. To know if you have a good price check several of the agencies mentioned on this board. Some people feel cabin location is of the utmost importance, frankly I dont.

You can go to the Princess website...many others too...and find your cabin location. Use the Cruise Personalizer and your booking number. Go to that deck and enter your cabin #. You can see what's around you and the entire ship for that matter.

I figure in SBC then divide the Total price by the number of cruise days - (I do not include the insurance or air cost)

- If I can sail in a Mini-Suite for (approx.) $150 per diem pp :D - I consider that a good deal -

If I can sail in a Balcony Cabin - for (approx.) $125 per diem pp :D I consider that a good deal.

Renee: Where are you getting mini's for $150 per day? Certainly not in Alaska in 2005. We got a really good deal on a Cat AC on 9/4/05 Sapphire at about $180.and change pp/per diem. I can see it in Caribbean, but that's about it. If I'm off, please tell me!!

I think mine came in at about $126 per day...but my math could be a little off.

I just know that I am happy to have just been able to make the decision and not have "buyers remorse".

Also nice to know that the TA brought up the fact that if prices go down, they have no problem, if they are able, to get an upgrade or a refund of the amount.

Archived