Coki or Sapphire for snorkeling?

rodbrod

we are taking the tour with sunny liston (thanks to all for info on his tour)in december. we are trying to decide whether to go to coki or sapphire to snorkel. we are not "beach People" but would like to snorkel. My wife is not a good swimmer so we need something easy and calm . I really dont think we can make a bad choice, but wanted to get some opinions. If this has already been discussed I apologize fo the duplication

we are taking the tour with sunny liston (thanks to all for info on his tour)in december. we are trying to decide whether to go to coki or sapphire to snorkel. we are not "beach People" but would like to snorkel. My wife is not a good swimmer so we need something easy and calm . I really dont think we can make a bad choice, but wanted to get some opinions. If this has already been discussed I apologize fo the duplication

There is snorkeling at both but the snorkeling is better at Coki. So my opinion if snorkeling is your priority go to Coki. It is not as pretty as Sapphire and it is more crowded though.

If a pretty beach is the priority, Sapphire is a lot prettier than Coki and it has been less crowded the times I have been there. There is snorkeling but not as good as Coki for that.

Also consider Trunk Bay on St. John. Good snorkeling and a pretty beach.

If your wife is not a good swimmer, then I'd say head to Coki. You don't have to go far off the beach until you see fish. The dropoff into the water is a bit abrupt, in that you'll step into water that's at least knee-high. All your wife needs to do is walk in as deep as she feels comfortable doing and stick her head under the water. You're never all that far from the shore and the water is calm.

Sapphire is also very nice but you need to feel comfortable negotiating your way around coral getting in and out of the water. Again, you don't need to swim out very far to see fish. And, as the previous poster mentioned, the views are GORGEOUS!

Trunk Bay is very lovely! But I would not recommend it for snorkeling for someone whom swimming is not a strong suit. The swim from the shore to the snorkeling area may be a bit daunting for your wife. The water is calm, but it's a bit of a long swim.

We were at Sapphire Beach last week. I have never been to Coki, but I have been to Sappire three times. The beach at Sapphire is beatiful, the view is great and the snorkeling is great too. I highly recommend it!

cruisegal40, We didn't use the restroom facilities, but it appeared that the regular restrooms were open. There is a small shop there that sells drinks, snacks, tshirts etc. and the restrooms were right next to the shop.

cruiseky, was anything open at Sapphire? We want to go there in two weeks. Bathrooms? etc. I heard they just had pot o toilet? True?

cruiseky is correct, there are regular restrooms that are open. i didnt see a port-o-let anywhere. you can rent loungers, snorkel equipment, buy a beer (if thats what you want) or cokes, snacks, souvenirs, etc. at the shop. We had loads of fun snorkeling at Sapphire. Its very easy getting into and out of the water. we didnt need water shoes and the water is very very calm and CLEAR!! we saw 2 sea turtles and loads of fish. I cant compare to coki, as we havent been there. can say, sapphire met all our needs, and then some!! view is undeniably spectacular!! :D

Where the restrooms part of the hotel? I keep leaning back to this beach, but the facilities are drawing me to Coki. Buttttt, Sapphire looks to nice and calm and relaxing. You said you can rent the lounge chairs? Is this through the hotel? Do you remember what the taxi charged to get there. Sorry about so many questions.

Hello,

The regular restrooms are open, they are right next to the bar/restaurant buildings, which is right on the beachfront. You can rent chairs, snorkel gear, windsurfers, kayaks etc. from the watersports booth on the beach - they are open. The shop is beachfront also and they have souvenirs and drinks/snacks. Taxi from Havensigh is $10 pp, ow.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Great. That sounds like a plan. Not bad for a cab ride either. Better than paying the cruise company for just a ride over too. I think we will do that and then head to Red Hook for lunch or something. Sounds like there are some good restaurants down there. Is it far from there do you know?

We were at Sapphire Beach last week. I have never been to Coki, but I have been to Sappire three times. The beach at Sapphire is beatiful, the view is great and the snorkeling is great too. I highly recommend it!

In my opinion the snorkeling is a good bit better at Coki than Sapphire. But Sapphire is much more of a gorgeous beach and I prefer to go to Sapphire because of the beauty and because it is less crowded. One won't go wrong at either beach.

I was just at Coki Beach on October 9th.

IT WAS GREAT....!!!!icon14.gif

EXCELLENT SNORKLING....!!!icon14.gif

The water is CRYSTAL CLEAR and EXTREMELY calm, placid water....icon14.gif

It is just a delight. We will be going back on our next cruise in April 2007.:D

I did my "research" and found that for the best snorkling, we had to be right next to "Coral World", and we were, it was just steps away. It is the FARTHEST RIGHT on Coki Beach as you can go.

Chaise Rentals were $5.00

A can of cold soda was $1.25

I did not need an umbrella because I was under some shade trees.

The taxi ride from the ship was $9.00 a person. I think they discount if you have more then four people in your party. It is about a 15-20 minute drive.

The Rest Rooms at that part of the beach were filthy, you can use the Coral World Rest Rooms for one or two Dollars.

There were a few "junk shops", snorkel rental and a snorkel class.

If you have any other questions, just ask.....

Oh, and bring (or you can buy for a couple of dollars at the beach) JUMBO DOG BONES....!!!! THE FISH GO INSANE FOR THEM.....!!!!

CaribbeanBound, why do you say that? That is the beach I am leaning towards, heavily. What did you like/dislike about it. I don't think you can go wrong w/ a beach in the caribbean, but I am still asking. Inquiring minds want to know.

Archived