1st time cruiser on Pride... questions...

kaligirl121

Question about the dining... do we HAVE to do the formal dinners with the predesignated dining time? Just want to know for packing sake.

Does anyone ever get an upgrade at checkin?

I keep thinking I should bring seasickness meds... but I don't even know if I'll get seasick!

The spa onboard... can I book services now? If not, when's the best time to book?

Um, any other tips for a 1st timer???

:)

I am so jealous...we just got off the Pride a few weeks ago for our first cruise (read my review if you want)...had the time of our lives, you will love the Pride....

You do not HAVE to attend formal dinners, but I sincerely recommend it. You always have the option of eating at the buffet or ordering room service but I think its a really fun night to participate in. Its the best food nights, great picture opportunites and just fun to get dressed up once in a while, plus you get the free drinks and appetizers at the Captains party prior to the first formal night....its up to you...the formal nights are Monday night and Friday night...

I have heard of people getting upgraded at checkin but we had ours when we got our tickets. We had booked balcony Guarenteed and when we got our docs (about 50 days out) we already had our room assignment and correct luggage tags. Some get gray tags and do not have their assigned room yet though....we got an upgrade to an extended balcony on a higher floor.

I brought ginger pills for seasickness (we are drinkers so I couldn't get the real medications because it would haven't have been ok with alcohol) but we didn't take them ever, I mean you feel the boat moving but we didn't get sick at all...they say seasickness is alot of mind over matter anyway...

You can not book your spa appointment until after you board, they will give you a tour if you want and you can book as soon as you get on...I did the hot Rock message ($175) it was INCREDIBLE...truely one of the best messages I have ever had....you can find spa prices on this forum if you search...and they run different specials every day...I also got my hair done for one formal night and my BF got the teeth whitning, neither do I recommend....

Tips...make the most of it, we got very little sleep all week, but hey you can sleep all year...we did so much and yet there was still so much we didnt' get to try...take lots of pics...we took a few hundred and I wish I had taken more....and roll with the punches..inevitable something will go wrong but don't let it ruin your vacation...

Question about the dining... do we HAVE to do the formal dinners with the predesignated dining time? Just want to know for packing sake.

Nope. You can eat buffet all week if you want but you'd be missing out on one of the best parts of the cruise, your tablemates.

Does anyone ever get an upgrade at checkin? Hasn't happened to me yet. Anytime I have had an upgrade I knew about it beforehand.

I keep thinking I should bring seasickness meds... but I don't even know if I'll get seasick! Bring them anyway. Better to have them and not need them!

The spa onboard... can I book services now? If not, when's the best time to book? Don't know this one...

Um, any other tips for a 1st timer??? Do a search for keywords and read all of the member reviews, there are tons and some great ones.

NB

Does anyone ever get an upgrade at checkin?

I keep thinking I should bring seasickness meds... but I don't even know if I'll get seasick!

The spa onboard... can I book services now? If not, when's the best time to book?

Um, any other tips for a 1st timer???

:)

Yes, they come to your cabin and drag you to the formal dinner, it is mandatory and required (no, not really, just go to the buffet)

No upgrades at check in, if you booked a room, you have it, if you booked a gty, it can change up to that morning, but will be at least the min you booked.

Sea sick meds, I don't travel without them, but rarely need them, I use ginger root.

No spa booking until you are on board, go up there and tour when you board, watch for specials, they usually have them if you get service the first night.

Best advice, keep reading and learn to use the "search this forum" for questions that will come up, most likely they have been addressed.

Great thanks! I know we're going to do at least one formal night....

Another question I keep seeing debated around... are jeans ok for guys to wear if we eat in the buffet? Tennis shoes? Breakfast & lunch only? Or not at all?

The Lido buffet is pretty much anything goes......jeans, shorts, swimsuits, tennis shoes, flip flops, whatever. Very casual for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

Enjoy the Pride! We cruised on her 2 years ago and loved it! :)

I wanted to add too that if you are skipping formal night you can also eat at Pizza, grill or deli too...

As far as at the Buffet, you can wear anything, really I have seen people in the PJ's or bathing suits, jeans/tennies would be just fine there....

Even as far as formal night goes, you will see a range...some dressed to the nines in Tuxes and gowns, others in the middle with suits and cocktail dresses and even those who will wear jeans and Tee Shirts (not recommended though) so don't feel like you HAVE to pack all that differently....

Coming to you Live from Carnival's PRIDE docked here in re routed Ensenada Mx!

The other posters are right about formal, and there are two on this cruise. If your a first time cruiser, you may want to do this, just for the new-ness of it all. Makes for great pictures later on.

Most book spa services immediatly upon boarding, cause they can book up fast.

If your a first time cruiser, I would make sure to attend all the events in the Taj Mahal Lounge, especially the great shows

As far as upgrades are concerned, the Pride does tend to book up before sailing date, cause its such a popular ship and itinenary! So I wouldn't look for upgrades.

If your hubby has a hairy chest, make sure he is a contestant in the mens hairy chest contest, its so hilarious.

But anyway, yeah, we were re routed due to hurricane paul, so we're here docked side by side with Paradise, which is here on its regular scheduled stop.

Hope you have a good time when its your turn.

J.R.

Hi Southbayer

we will be on the Pride next month and hopefully not get re routed also, but what is your itinerary for the week? Have you been in ensenada since Sunday and if so have they said if you will be going else where? I think the blunt of Paul has passed so not sure how much more it will affect you there? Also did they let you know about the changes before you boarded and did they give you any type of credit because of the changes?

Sorry so many questions

totally personal preference...we had a balcony room and I proir to leaving I had envisioned breakfast on the balcony, watching the sunset and drinking champagne all the time...but in all honesty we hardly used it at all, we were always up where the action was...we were hardly in the room, however that said, I would still book one next time, we did use it some, plus there is something to say for natural light, plus clostrophobia etc...so it all depends on you guys...

Another Question!

Are interior rooms bad? I booked us an interior room thinking we wouldn't be in it all that much... would it have been worth it to get a room with a view?

Kali, don't worry. We had an interior stateroom on the Pride, and it was just fine. You really don't spend much time in your cabin anyway with all the fun things to do on the ship. I'll admit, we had an oceanview on our Miracle cruise, and I probably won't do an inside again, but for your first cruise an inside will be fine. Don't forget to take an alarm clock, because the cabin stays dark all the time and you can't tell when morning comes!

HINT: turn your TV on to the channel that shows the outside deck to see what the weather is like outside. Some people even leave the TV on all night with the sound off so that it will gradually lighten the room when the sun comes up in the morning.

Enjoy! :)

Archived