Touring Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast

billrau

We are sailing on GALAXY, November 20th, out of Civitavecchia, and friends have strongly recommended a local guide for an all day trip to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast on November 30th.

I have booked the tour for the two of us, but six or 8 sharing reduces the cost per person, total 500 euros for 6, and 650 euros for 8, not including the cost of our lunch, or entrance fees.

We would meet the guide at 8 AM, on the pier, and return to the ship at least one hour before our 6 PM sailing. We would have a full two hours in Pompeii, and can choose to hire a Licenced Pompeii Archaeological guide, take the audio tour, or tour on our own. We'll then drive the Amalfi Coast including Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, and the Amalfi Drive. Lunch will be at a small, inexpensive restaurant, off the beaten path, in a hillside medieval village with extensive views. My friends tell me that the lunch was wonderful.

When you check your Celebrity Shore Excursion Guide you will see that this tour is fuller, more personal, and much more economical.

If you want to join us, please email me at billrau@aol.com. This must be on a "first come, first served" basis and is limited to the first 3 couples, or 6 people. I will confirm your reservation, and provide fuller details as I get them. GRAZIE.

I just did this very thing last week and it was great. I recommend you use the guide at Pompei, it makes a huge difference.

You might want to check the Roll Call board for your cruise for better results...also check the Europe Board.

We, too, did the very same excursion. Who is your driver? We had a wonderful day (the weather was just so-so, but we didn't even notice). Loved the lunch and limoncello (complimentary). Long but great day and Pompeii was amazing....

You want to drive an 8 passenger vehicle along the Amalfi coast road? Buona fortuna!

It's narrow and windy and its a 2-lane road. There's not a lot of room for large vehicles... As it is, things get really hairy when a large bus tries to get around some of the turns.

But it's a beautiful area so have fun and make sure you leave extra time as the drive from Civitavecchia to Amalfi is a bit lengthy.

We drove in an 8 passenger vehicle a couple of weeks ago and it was the perfect size. No problem negotiating the roads. They really should outlaw the large buses as they can't make the turns without stopping traffic. I would imagine they will be driving from Naples' port not Civittavechia. I think that's just where the cruise originates. We had two vehicles for our party of 15 and our drivers were Salvatore and Roberto from Drive Amalfi. They were just wonderful.

Billrau ~ Here is a link the roll call for your sailing. Requests for sharing tours should be placed within your roll call so others sailing with you can find it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=306642&page=15

I'll be moving your post to the roll call tomorrow so you know where it has moved to.

Archived