Fort Lauderdale Grande

Dorie7

:eek: $1000.00 per night! eek!

No, I'm paying $249.00, which I have heard is a good rate for the Atlantic?

The Grande is only $99.00 per night, so it is a reasonable saving there, providing that the hotel is nice.

Thank you for your replies,

Dorie

Does anyone know if the location is as good for the Atlantic as it seems to be for the Grande?

A nice hotel in a great location beats a great hotel in a lesser location for us, especially if there are significant savings. we might just stay at the Grande for both nights...unless you think that the Atlantic is worth splurging for.

Thanks again,

Dorie

We just returned from Lauderdale with 2 nights pre-cruise at the Atlantic and thought it was a fabulous hotel. Several years ago we stayed at the Grande when it was the Marriott Marina - thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Personally, I"d return to the Atlantic in a flash for the proximity to the beach and the overall ambience. This is a true luxury hotel - we did it on SPG points and were upgraded to a 1BR oceanview on the 9th floor - the rack rate on the door was $969/night! The amenities and overall service were outstanding. As for location - we were a ten minute walk to Seville St. to pick up the water taxi and the Trolley stop was right across the street from the hotel. Although we aren't big beach people, it was really nice to walk across the street and walk along the ocean or just wander up and down A-1A or to simply sit down and people watch. For good dining, we went down to Las Olas - for us, this was a preferable location to the Grande although it is really close to the Port. When we left for the ship, it was a $14.00 cab ride + tip to the pier.

In summary, we'd return to the Atlantic tomorrow without hesitation and I'd say your rate is exellent for the experience you'll have. The staff at the Atlantic were extremely friendly and accomodating.

Have a great trip!

Rob

We stayed at the Grande one night prior to CB on 9/29/2006. The pool and room were great. I loved the bed. The shuttle to port was free and roomy. However, there is only bar food available in the evening, and no hot breakfast in the AM, unless from room service. We walked to the Renaissance (a few blocks) for yummy, expensive breakfast. It is very convenient to port, you can see ships, and Walgreens is within walking distance. Our rate was great, I loved the bed and would stay there again. DH didn't like it to kick off our vacation. It is undergoing 50 mil renovation, but no noise or anything as we were there on a Friday night. The staff was very friendly, and if it doesn't have to be perfect as far as food etc, you will be fine there. Our room had a nice balcony overlooking large lagoon like pool.

Robroy,

Thank you for the reassurance on the Atlantic! it seems a little pricey to us but I understand from you and others that it is well worth the expense. We are looking forward to a comfortable stay here.

Comfortcove,

Thank you for letting us know about the renovations and food issue. This may make a difference to us. What did you think of the Renaissance as an option? Was it too far away from everything to be convenient?

Thank you everyone for your replies! They are very helpful, especially when you are visiting a location for the first time.

Dorie:)

The Renaissance looked very nice, restaurant was good, it is only 2 or 3 blocks away. You cannot see port from it, however. I would stay at the Grande if you don't mind dining out. The bar is like a big grass tiki hut by the lagoon pool. The yacht club is right there and you can see amazing yachts from your balcony. Both are very convenient to the water taxi. DH just likes to chill in a nice hotel, and considered it inconvenient to go to breakfast elsewhere. Just depends on your priorities and budget. I got the Grande for $69 on Travelzoo, our room had just been redone and it seemed like a huge bargain to me. They do have pastries, juice, Starbucks cafe in the lobby, but we slept late (for us) and wanted a big breakfast. We had fantastic crabs at a local place the night before. Can't recall the name, but will ask DH. If you stay at the Grande definitely ask for a tower room overlooking the pool. They have all just been renovated, and I would buy a bed just like that if I could find it.

I wouldn't discount the Grande because of not being able to eat there. There are so many great restaurants within walking distance, and the other advantage of the Grande is that the water taxi stops there, so you can take that anywhere to dine out.

BTW, what happened to the restaurant at the Grande. There was a nice restaurant there when it was the Marriott Marina. They had a very good hot breakfast buffet. When we were there in February it was still there.

The main dining area were all being redone when we were staying. They may be complete now, they already had furniture, so call and check. We had planned on going out in the evening, the surprise came when we came down for breakfast and they were not open. They looked like they should be open, so maybe up and running now.

Comfortcove, we have the Grande booked for Nov 21 - 24, 2006 we booked this about a month ago, $99.00 a night which I think is a great price.

I asked if the tower rooms were available yet knowing that renovations were being done, and we were told that the tower rooms are not available until January 2007.:confused:

What should I say when I call back and request a tower room and this is the answer I get, or should we wait, and when we are at the hotel ask for a tower room then?

Looking for advice.

Thank you

Wendy

Wendy, Sorry, I got that wrong. It is the East Wing we stayed in, directly across from the tower rooms, over the pool and yacht basin. We were on third floor (highest for that building). I would call and ask for that building. The tower rooms are not open. We had a nice balcony, and interesting view. The landscaping around pool is beautiful. Have a great trip.

Hi Wendy, I don't have any knowledge of west wing rooms. You could call and ask the hotel. In order to see port from your room you would have to be facong the busy street in front of the hotel. The east wing balconies face the pool courtyard. If you walk out front you can see the port. Have fun, Nancy

Thank you everyone for the information!

Wendelle,

I called the Grande and asked about the east and west wings. We were paying 99 per night for the west wing which does have a view of the cruise ships. However, the rooms are not renovated. So we erequested to be upgraded to the east wing where the rooms are renovated. This is now going to cost 119.00 per night.

Hope this helps,

Dorie

we stayed at the Grande in sept. had a nice time precruise cab fare from the airport was about 18 dollars with tip. we did have some trouble finding a place for lunch without walking 5/6 blocks.we found a diner in a strip mall.it was very good and the next moring we went there for breakfast as well. we took the trolley to the beach for free it runs in front of the hotel every 15 mins or so.The hotel is very spread out.many wings and the towers were closed. But the beds are the Best. Shuttle to the port was fast.

Archived