Does this make sense?

Ziggys

It's not just travel agents. I saw a post today where RCCL cruise air has booked somebody on a flight arriving at 2:30 for a 5pm departure on the Navigator. Since RCCL doesn't even follow their own policy that flights shouldn't arrive any later than 2pm, why should an inexperienced TA know any differently.

There is no underpopulation in the Land of Idiots, that's for sure, Wrona. :rolleyes:

Hmmm! Just finished a Cruise in Oct. 2006 was to arrive in LA to embark the Radiance to Hawaii. Everything was booked threw a TA and air was through RC also. Flight arrived in LA at 1:15pm. The problem was Rc buses to transport the PAX to the Port. The Rep from Rc stated only 10 people were allowed at a time on the bus, (now this was a big chartered bus) when we inquired as to why, since there were at least 75 PAX waiting for a bus transfer, we were told, it was a law in CAL. from the RC rep. I never heard of such a LAW. To the point, we got the next bus which arrive 2 hrs after the 1st bus, now there are still 50 PAX after us to wait for a BUS, when we arrived at Port the Muster Drill was in progress and we were told to go to our cabin (skip the muster drill) and the cabin steward would inform us where our Muster Stations would be, if needed for an emergency! I really didnt mind missing the Muster Drill, since I have Cruised 20+ times, but I was concerned for the other Pax who may have been still waiting for a BUS. There is no guarentee if you book through Rc, with the insurance you can get a free ride to the next port if you miss the ship, but if your 1st port is 4 days later, you still miss outon part of your Cruise! I have been in other situations (delays of the plane) and just made port by the skin of my teeth. Best to go the day before than to be Sorry.

Well, my friend was told (I was sitting next to her with the TA) that the ship would wait for her in the case that it was late since she booked through RCI. My aunt also experienced this when she took a cruise to Europe. Her plane had to turn around, land in Atlanta, wait on the tarmack (sp?) for 2 hrs while they fixed the plane, flew to NY and waited for 8 hours (insane) then they flew into Europe (can't remember the city) and the cruise ship waited until 11:30pm b/c they had flights through RCI. Now...she was told that if they had not got there by 12am that she would have simply recieved a refuned b/c they could not have waited any longer but that is an EXTREME case of being seriously delayed. Not maybe ppl experience that kind of delay.

Our agent has booked us out of Phila., 2 hours away, into Miami at 3:30; 12/24; Freedom of the Seas Xmas cruise leaves at 7 pm so he said there'd be plenty of time...plus Phil. is 2 hours away from our home--

(AND...it will cost us $40pp for a non stop flight!)

Going home we have to stopover in Charlotte, NC!

Should I pressure him for a flight 12/23 (Sat); how about the $40 surcharge pp for the non-stop flight? Is that standard procedure?

I thought cruising was supposed to be relaxing? It doesn't feel that way right now.

Eager for opinions and suggestions

You don't have enough time for your flights, especially if they are not non-stop flights. It doesn't matter if Freedom is leaving at 7. My general rule is that if you have to fly in day of, you need to land at least 4 hours before the ship departs.

As to flying from Philly on Christmas Eve, look for posts by Merion Mom about her non-cruise on the Jewel of the Seas Christmas 2004 due to US Air and Philadelphia International Airport.

Non-stop flights are usually more expensive than connecting flights because those are the flights everybody wants to be on.

Our agent has booked us out of Phila., 2 hours away, into Miami at 3:30; 12/24; Freedom of the Seas Xmas cruise leaves at 7 pm so he said there'd be plenty of time...plus Phil. is 2 hours away from our home--

(AND...it will cost us $40pp for a non stop flight!)

Going home we have to stopover in Charlotte, NC!

Should I pressure him for a flight 12/23 (Sat); how about the $40 surcharge pp for the non-stop flight? Is that standard procedure?

I thought cruising was supposed to be relaxing? It doesn't feel that way right now.

Eager for opinions and suggestions

I posted on your other thread, roxies10, but here it is again:

RUN do not walk to your TA's office and DEMAND that she change your flight.

I missed my cruise; don't miss yours.

I should have arrived in Florida before noon, plenty of time to make my ship, but I never even left Philadelphia!

USAir is notorious for flight delays out of Philadelphia, and the later in the day your flight is scheduled, the more likely it will leave even later.

And your baggage has a less than 50/50 chance of arriving with you.

JUST DON'T DO IT. :rolleyes:

Click on the link in my signature, if you dare. :o

On our recent cruise out of MIA - we flew in night before -- but, it took an hour and a half to get the luggage -- 20 minutes to get a cab -- there was a long line -- and about 25 min to get to the hotel - Holiday Inn Bayside - the port is another 10 minutes away.. NEVER cut it so close that is something goes wrong it will wreck your cruise....something all too frequently will go wrong with air travel - commuting, etc.

As an aside -- I know a lot of people use the cruise lines airport transportation - but this can cost time, too...you have to wait for everyone that is getting on the bus to get their luggage - board, etc.

It's quicker and generally not significantly more expensive - and maybe less expensive to get your luggage - walk out the door and get a taxi straight to the pier.

I checked Holiday this morning and there is no availability on the 19th of Jan.

If you are getting into Miami late enough that you won't have much time for sightseeing or carousing, you can try the Airport Holiday Inn or Embassy Suites. They have a free airport-to-hotel shuttle AND a free hotel-to-port shuttle the next day. The HI has a decent restaurant for breakfast, and of course, ES has their free breakfast.

Pretty convenient -- even though the area that they are in isn't that touristy (by the rental car service lots and industry), but you can cab it if you are really interested in going out. And if you factor in the shuttles, a good buy.

Archived