Why is Karaoke 18 and over?

We just did two weeks on the Navigator in September and we tried to go to Karaoke every night if we had the chance. It was held in the lounge fairly early in the evening, not as late as some ships have it. More than once, there were young children signing when we saw it. There was also a father and his little daughter. She was really young and he held her as they sang.

I was trying to think of the reason for this too. I'm a karaoke host and I have three gigs at local restuarants/bars. So the age is an issue because of drinking obviously. But one is a restuarant that serves food all night, so young ones can stay with parents. In the summer, (on the deck outside/big crowd), we get alot of tourists and families. The kids go over really big in small doses! When it starts to be a kidfest, the adults feel somewhat stiffled and tend to leave.

This particular owner asks me to really watch how many kids get to sing. I'm thinking that RCCL might be thinking the same thing.

I was trying to think of the reason for this too. I'm a karaoke host and I have three gigs at local restuarants/bars. So the age is an issue because of drinking obviously. But one is a restuarant that serves food all night, so young ones can stay with parents. In the summer, (on the deck outside/big crowd), we get alot of tourists and families. The kids go over really big in small doses! When it starts to be a kidfest, the adults feel somewhat stiffled and tend to leave.

This particular owner asks me to really watch how many kids get to sing. I'm thinking that RCCL might be thinking the same thing.

I agree with this thought. When I want to go watch karaoke, I go to see adults sing, not a kids show. I can go to adventure ocean for that, or go to any of my child's choir recitals at school. There are always going to be the parents who think little johnny or little susie singing is the cutest thing in the world, however not many others do. I'm glad there is an age limit set.

I agree with this thought. When I want to go watch karaoke, I go to see adults sing, not a kids show. I can go to adventure ocean for that, or go to any of my child's choir recitals at school. There are always going to be the parents who think little johnny or little susie singing is the cutest thing in the world, however not many others do. I'm glad there is an age limit set.

Most people feel the way you do. And it's hard to be me when the MOM comes up and says, "you have to get my son/daughter up soon we have to leave, and everyone will love them." (and then they don't really leave, the put up another song <sigh>) Then you try to get them up and it's like novacaine! LOL Recently there was this one kid who asked if he could use my headset? I said, he could use one of my wireless mics, and he said, "But I don't wanna drop it when I dance." I had to see this! I let him wear it, and I'm so glad I did. This kid sang a rappy song, although it wasn't rap per se' just a fast song. (can't remember) but he got down and did break dancing and was just fantastic! He was so entertaining. So yeah he added to the show and everyone liked it.

He however is the exception, not the rule. I think it's good to have youngsters karaoke and grown up karaoke seperately. Although a little mix is ok.

18 and older refers to those who are allowed to sing. Only one person at a time can sing. Families can still watch the show. There are also separate family karaoke nights on the ship where the kids or groups can sing.

Thats great that they make special nights for family to sing and then other nights for the adults. That way everyone is happy :)

Cali:)

Voyager W. Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT 1688"

Voyager E. Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

On most of the ships I've been on, Karaoke has been a competition so that may be the reason for the 18 and up age limit.

Also, this isn't always the case, but where I've seen no age limit for karaoke it gets really filled up with kids, and usually the same kids over and over again.

I have seen it on ships with the 18 and up age limit, that if not many adults showed up after they sang, they then allowed kids to sing.

I don't tolerate profanity at my shows, and announce it often times if need be, but as you can imagine some adults will ignor it and sing or say whatever they want. (Buffet songs often elicit that response, ;) ) If I'm near the board I can shut them off, but often times the words are out and long gone. I think that might be an issue to in separating the adults from the kids.

Sometimes adults will change the lyrics of songs and put in their own "spin" on the words. The new words tend to be explicit and are not suitable for the under 18 crowd. On the Enchantment the adult karaoke was at 10 pm, and definitely was adults only.

On the Majesty of the Seas in April they enforced the 18+ rule. They did, however, offer 'family karaoke' one night......while the adults did 'rockaroke' at a later time. I have to agree with the 'drinking' theory. There were some pretty drunk singers with some pretty colorful language (and one woman that liked to bare her skin as she sang the chorus to "I Will Survive"). lol

On the Majesty of the Seas in April they enforced the 18+ rule. They did, however, offer 'family karaoke' one night......while the adults did 'rockaroke' at a later time. I have to agree with the 'drinking' theory. There were some pretty drunk singers with some pretty colorful language (and one woman that liked to bare her skin as she sang the chorus to "I Will Survive"). lol

Did they ask people to leave who were watching? We don't want to sing, just watch and they are older teens but would probably be embarrassed if asked to leave.

I didn't see anyone asking anyone to leave. A few people got up and left on their own when the woman was doing her 'striptease', but otherwise everyone just stayed and laughed.

There was a group of about 6 teens (I'd guess they were between 17-19) that were there.....and 4 of the boys even sang. I think that part of the reason they were allowed to participate was because they were handling themselves in a mature manner.......and when they sang it was hilarious. They sand 'What is Love' from Night at the Roxbury. They had sunglasses and bobbed their heads, among other things.

By the way......RCCL also had a Family Feud game that was good for the whole family and those same teens that I mentioned above were also participating in Quest. Again, I noticed that they weren't being 'immature' so that might have helped. Well, they were as mature as anyone gets in Quest. lol :p

I'm sure they won't ask your teens to leave. Go and have a blast! All of you will enjoy it. :D

Archived