SKYAUCTION & HAL

1cruiselvr

Got a notice from SkyAuction that they are now offering 2005 HAL cruises. Checked a few out but I don't think their opening bid is any cheaper, especially when you read the fine print regarding additional charges. I wonder why HAL felt it necessary to offer their cruises on an auction site. By the way, HAL wasn't the only cruiseline addition - they also started selling Princess and MSC.

Happy Sailing!

Guest Anorak33

As a several times Sky "winner" I came to the conclusion that Sky buy blocks of cabins and then auction them. I did not think it was the cruise lines taking the risk of what they might or might not get for the cabins. Maybe HAL don't even know?

1Cruiselvr is right - you have to really watch the extra charges which may amount to more than the bid price. I noticed a Transatlantic on MSC Lirica yesterday when the charges were $433 port and taxes plus $15 for mailing the tickets. Last month the same cruise had "only" $395 and not $433. I know - I "won" one - 17 days - total $739. Not a bad overall cost.

I do not believe the extras are really the amount they should be - Sky always charge $195 extra for a weeks accomodation if its in Florida or if its in Dom Rep - where I am sure the taxes and service are not so high.

Sky have 2 sorts of auctions - the first is a no reserve start at $1 - and a buy it now at a not too cheap price .

How does promoting Sky Auction differ from the CC rule banning the naming of travel agents/agencies?:confused:

I really like CC's rule. I don't want to see it go down this slippery slope. There's too much promoting and lauding of specific TAs on other boards. We don't need it here!!

skyauction is not a TA. They are the middle man. There are wholesale travel agencies affiliated with the auctions. It's not always a "buy a block of rooms". It could be a special promotion from the cruiseline given to the wholesaler.

Not all cruise auctions posted are guaranteed. I've known a few people who found out after the end of the auction there was no availabilty. So for those taking this venue.. make sure all the paperwork is complete and confirmed before booking air.

skyauction is not a TA. They are the middle man. There are wholesale travel agencies affiliated with the auctions. It's not always a "buy a block of rooms". It could be a special promotion from the cruiseline given to the wholesaler.

I realize it's not a TA, but it sure ain't far from it. I'd hate to see CC cluttered with a lot of "I got it for$XXX on Sky Auction" postings, followed up by,"did you see cruisesforabuck.com, they're offering $YYY?".

I doubt CC management intended to differentiate between wholesale and retail when they asked us to keep these offers off their board.

I think my post was mis-interpreted. My intent was to inform CC MBers that HAL has now sunk so low as to offer their cruises on an auction site, like their sister company Carnival has been doing for awhile. It was not to advertise for them. I actually do not care for Skyauction. I believe they use the word 'auction' to attract people to bid thinking they are getting a deal, when in reality they are paying more than retail in most cases when you add up the additional charges listed in the bottom fine print. Buyer beware.

Happy Sailing!

• 2 months later...

I just won a bid for the 7 night western carribbean on Carnival Conquest. If you are careful and read the fine print (all the additioal fees) you can still get a good deal. I called Carnival the same day that the auction was ending and received a quote from them it was $914.00pp for an inside stateroom, I won the bid including taxes and port charges for $587.00pp for the same cabin.

I think you mean an inside cabin category which is a gty booking, the cheapest form. You are comparing it to a specific cabin booking, always more for that. I have a coworker that bids on skyauction cruises and always gets assigned the cheapest cabin category, so I don't consider it much of a deal. To each his own. Happy Sailing!

Archived