Candles - Allowed or Not?

lls-con

And .... We live just a few miles from the fire in southern California where four firemen were killed this week. Own a membership in Silent Valley RV club where 400 were trapped the first day of fire. I spent several hours today with the a family of one of the firefighters who lost his life and in a critical stress debriefing with firefighters who lost a friend.

So sad about those firemen that lost their lives in that fire.:( My heart goes out to their families. And to think it was arson:eek: I hope they find whoever did it. We live in the inland empire so we are aware of what's going on. I'm thinkin you are pastor....I could be wrong. So sad!!!

So sad about those firemen that lost their lives in that fire.:( My heart goes out to their families. And to think it was arson:eek: I hope they find whoever did it. We live in the inland empire so we are aware of what's going on. I'm thinkin you are pastor....I could be wrong. So sad!!!

I am a pastor in Moreno Valley. I also work as a chaplain with Riverside Sheriff Dept.

Please, no candles! There are plenty of other "romantic" options. Many nicer spaces to enjoy than the cabin!

I don't want to get "flamed" (no pun intended) but it astonishes me that the ships permit people to smoke in the cabin. Where there's smoke there's fire. Plus, the smoke leaves residue for the next passenger, who may not appreciate it.

Still, I would think the safety issues are the most important concern. The greatest danger at sea is fire. The ship is not going to hit an iceberg and sink. But it may well catch fire and have great loss of life if people are allowed to strike fire as they please!

Please, no candles! There are plenty of other "romantic" options. Many nicer spaces to enjoy than the cabin!

I don't want to get "flamed" (no pun intended) but it astonishes me that the ships permit people to smoke in the cabin. Where there's smoke there's fire. Plus, the smoke leaves residue for the next passenger, who may not appreciate it.

Still, I would think the safety issues are the most important concern. The greatest danger at sea is fire. The ship is not going to hit an iceberg and sink. But it may well catch fire and have great loss of life if people are allowed to strike fire as they please!

I know people are allowed to smoke in their cabins but I also am surprised at this at the same time...a person can fall asleep in the bed with a lit cigarette and bam we have a fire and then the whole ship could be in trouble.

If not allowed, does anyone have any other suggestions for setting romantic lighting?

The suites have adjustable lighting. You can set the lights to whatever romantic level you want. Book one of those.

No candles or toasters.

No candles are not allowed on the ship but smoking a cig in bed is ok. The final report just came out on the Princess ship fire and the cause was a cigarette. Gee go figure.:eek: Im sure the ones yeling at you that its a fire hazard probaly are smokers also. That would be ironic.:D

I suggest you actually read the whole report. They suspect that the fire was probably (most likely) caused by a cigarette because they eliminated other probable causes. They also speculate that the cigarette was discarded from an open deck and did not come from the cabin/balcony occupants.

OP, I know you've already clearly acknowledged that you simply want to verify policy because you DON'T want to violate the rules, and I know any idiot would realize you wouldn't ask the question if you intended to break the rules... but still, I just... can't... help... putting my self-righteous 2 cents in to say that candles are wrong, wrong, wrong! :mad: don't do it! :mad: You could burn the ship down! :mad: Don't do it! :mad: Fire is bad -- everybody knows that!

Oh, your question about alternatives? I have no useful advice to offer.

:D

Everybody knows candles are a no-no. Try the new battery operated ones if it is an absolute necessity. QVC has some nice scented ones. Never risk the safety of others.

I have light sensor battery operated candles that I plan on bringing on the cruise - not a whole lot of lite, but enough that I can use the bathroom and not be blinded when I turn on the lite!

I wanted to bring a small votive candle for romantic purposes and for the good smell. Are candles allowed, or would they be considered a fire hazard? If not allowed, does anyone have any other suggestions for setting romantic lighting?

Is it too much to ask of some of you older cruisers (The ones that have been on here for EVER that think everyone should know everything about cruising , maybe some consideration that this is all totally new to them)? Good Lord, MAYBE she just did not know, and maybe she has not gotten her cruise documents yet! No wonder I have read several comments on other sites about people dropping off of here like flies!:cool: There are a lot of others that have helped so many people here and that is a huge help to us that have not cruised much!

I like the electric candle warmers as alternatives to lighting candles. I have one that has small lights that shine up through the wax, not exactly the same as a flame, but a whole heck of a lot safer. As soon as the wax melts the first time while the jar is on the warmer, I pull the wick.

I'm on call all weekend in a rural hopital. Sometimes hard to sleep with the 'hospital' odor... I enjoy the candlewarmer while here... very safe, with no flame.

I like the electric candle warmers as alternatives to lighting candles. I have one that has small lights that shine up through the wax, not exactly the same as a flame, but a whole heck of a lot safer. As soon as the wax melts the first time while the jar is on the warmer, I pull the wick.

I'm on call all weekend in a rural hopital. Sometimes hard to sleep with the 'hospital' odor... I enjoy the candlewarmer while here... very safe, with no flame.

Great idea!! Thank you:)

Is it too much to ask of some of you older cruisers (The ones that have been on here for EVER that think everyone should know everything about cruising , maybe some consideration that this is all totally new to them)? Good Lord, MAYBE she just did not know, and maybe she has not gotten her cruise documents yet! No wonder I have read several comments on other sites about people dropping off of here like flies!:cool: There are a lot of others that have helped so many people here and that is a huge help to us that have not cruised much!

There is one self-righteous, know-it-all poster who will never change. You'll just have to accept her. The others are great. ;)

I just have to say something....read it or not...

Why is it that every freaking question becomes a fight with so many of the "seasoned" posters here?

A simple question "are candles allowed"....becomes a fight and drama about smokers and drinkers and burning down the house.....is this necessary? Ive noticed its "total" drama with a handful of you.....have you met each other and just "dont like each other?" Is it like a say "jump" im gonna "sit" kinda thing.....I wish the controversy would stop.....people here are usually getting ready to go on a fabulous holiday.....if they come back to share what is learned GREAT....if someone comes and asks what you think is a silly question answer it because you want to help....dont belittle a silly question because of you KNOW!

You dont like cigs.....you dont like drunks....you dont like the buffet after day 2....why are some so freaking critical.....have you EVER had a perfect holdiday??????? Packing drive to airport, port, service, embark, disembark, can you not overlook ANYTHING that makes you uncomfortable? Ive been on holiday a lot these past years....its never 100% but the good ALWAYS...makes me forget about the little irritations.....GET OVER IT....MYYYYYYYYYY God! Im done......no Im not.....STOP ARGUING over stupid stuff just because you dont care for a member here.....your gonna start scaring people away!

Back to the point of this thread....I did bring "votives" on my first cruise.....(I simply did not know) AND I didnt read my package cover to cover....my steward informed us (after seeing the empty on the table) on day two that candles were not allowed.....ok.....Oh geez so sorry am I in trouble, no just no more......had a twelve pack....left with 11. Not a silly question at all!

I took a cute little night light. It had a little fish motif on it. I plugged it into my power strip with the light side down on the desk top and it gave out the same type of ambient lighting as a candle.

I usually take candles when my husband and I go to Las Vegas for the same reason, romance, etc. So when I found out about no candles for the ship, I used this instead. I got a little glade glass square air freshner that worked just like the scented candles. Add a bottle of champagne (which the steward was more than happy to provide a bucket of ice for!) and some scented massage oil and ta-da! Romance on the ship for two!

Have a great time - we did!

Kappy:)

Cant we all just "get along" sheeshhhhhhh.....where are all the flies going.....this is the only cruise community I am aware of....

Im so all about fun.....oh and should I add....yes I do smoke (I am a considerate smoker)....and yes I do drink..(and on occassion can make an extreme fun "joke on me" scene).....but always have so much fun...and have not one complaint about anything at all.....even a freakin stinky stopped up toilet that 5 cabins suffered through.....no problem....fix it....when I get back make sure the mess is cleaned up....did I demand a refund no....did I write a letter no.....I simply didnt let this ruin my cruise...."sh@t happens! Some people here need to lighten up and stop the arguing! Its getting so very old!

P.S.......Brought votives on my first cruise....Im guilty I didnt read cruise package cover to cover....was informed by our sweet Yolanda on day two, when she saw the "empty" on the table...no candles...so I brought 12 and left with 11.....the glade plug ins work great! Not a silly question, but there are so many alternatives!

Happy Cruising!

I just have to say something....read it or not...

Why is it that every freaking question becomes a fight with so many of the "seasoned" posters here?

A simple question "are candles allowed"....becomes a fight and drama about smokers and drinkers and burning down the house.....is this necessary? Ive noticed its "total" drama with a handful of you.....have you met each other and just "dont like each other?" Is it like a say "jump" im gonna "sit" kinda thing.....I wish the controversy would stop.....people here are usually getting ready to go on a fabulous holiday.....if they come back to share what is learned GREAT....if someone comes and asks what you think is a silly question answer it because you want to help....dont belittle a silly question because of you KNOW!

You dont like cigs.....you dont like drunks....you dont like the buffet after day 2....why are some so freaking critical.....have you EVER had a perfect holdiday??????? Packing drive to airport, port, service, embark, disembark, can you not overlook ANYTHING that makes you uncomfortable? Ive been on holiday a lot these past years....its never 100% but the good ALWAYS...makes me forget about the little irritations.....GET OVER IT....MYYYYYYYYYY God! Im done......no Im not.....STOP ARGUING over stupid stuff just because you dont care for a member here.....your gonna start scaring people away!

Back to the point of this thread....I did bring "votives" on my first cruise.....(I simply did not know) AND I didnt read my package cover to cover....my steward informed us (after seeing the empty on the table) on day two that candles were not allowed.....ok.....Oh geez so sorry am I in trouble, no just no more......had a twelve pack....left with 11. Not a silly question at all!

Welcome to CC! You'll just have to get used to hot topics around here... it's not going to change. There are alot of people on this board and there are hot topics that are always going to be hot. You sort of need thick skin to post on the net... take everything with a grain of salt.

True, not everyone puts it together that an open flame on a rocky ship might not be a good idea... it is always a good idea to read through the contract and see what is allowed and what isn't. Worse comes to worse, ask here... regardless of how one answers a question, the OP got the answer they needed. Not everyone is a ray of sunshine all the time on the boards, and there are many that have personalities that you just learn over time. Don't take it personal...

There is one self-righteous, know-it-all poster who will never change. You'll just have to accept her. The others are great. ;)

Petro772, I have had enough of you claiming, blaming, and insinuating. I had e-mails from others telling me who you think I am! I AM NOT THAT PERSON!!

Go play detective with someone else!!!:p I am not interested in playing childish games! :cool: I am not being self-righteous, just trying to join in with the others that have also made the same complaint BECAUSE I fully stand by what I said! I have read some of your post also and it appears you are getting me totally confused with yourself! :p

Petro772, I have had enough of you claiming, blaming, and insinuating. I had e-mails from others telling me who you think I am! I AM NOT THAT PERSON!!

Go play detective with someone else!!!:p I am not interested in playing childish games! :cool: I am not being self-righteous, just trying to join in with the others that have also made the same complaint BECAUSE I fully stand by what I said! I have read some of your post also and it appears you are getting me totally confused with yourself! :p

Um, OB... I don't think Petro was referring to you :p LMAO...

Oh....I have the perfect answer. :p Take a little night light and replace the bulb with a RED Christmas bulb. Don't forget your extension cord and powerstrip. This one little light will give the room a romantic red glow.

That'll work. :D

Works for me. ;)

Um, OB... I don't think Petro was referring to you :p LMAO...

This is exactly what I have said and still am saying along with many others and believe me so many others are coming forward with this type of posting!

I don't think it is funny or humorous in any way, I think it is sad, judgmental, and certainly very childish!!!! :p And again, that is the reason why so many have complained about this type of behavior and ARE not coming back to this site! You sound like you have had a really bad day, go get some sleep and maybe things will look a little brighter tomorrow!:rolleyes:

This is exactly what I have said and still am saying along with many others and believe me so many others are coming forward with this type of posting!

I don't think it is funny or humorous in any way, I think it is sad, judgmental, and certainly very childish!!!! :p And again, that is the reason why so many have complained about this type of behavior and ARE not coming back to this site! You sound like you have had a really bad day, go get some sleep and maybe things will look a little brighter tomorrow!:rolleyes:

So now because I told you that a poster was not referring to you, I am evil and have had a bad day? ***** lately??? :p Believe me, I know the other sites... I KNOW them WELL. People aren't dropping like flies here. There are still nearly 200K members here... still the largest around. There are alot of great sites out there, I am members of most of them... but you act like everyone is getting banned and leaving here. I am telling you, this site is growing... you seem extremely bitter about something, not sure what... perhaps it is YOU that needs to get some sleep :rolleyes:

VIPBY40,

Yes welcome to CC's. Thank you for speaking up, as I notice you are a new member. I have been reading these post for about 4 months and just recently signed on. Some of the Threads are very helpful, and some are as you explained. Flames will be thrown here so I hope you have your fire shield :p . I am thankful that I have met wonderful friends on the cruises we have been on. And certainly very Thankful that I have not run into some of the people that continue to post as they do! There is more good than bad on here so stick with it. I will for a while until I get sick from laughing so much! :p

Archived