Is the Arcadia the original QV hull?

Cunard Cruiser

Is the Arcadia the original QV hull? It was reported on another website that Arcadia encountered rough seas on Oct 2th which caused several passengers being injured, at least one medevac from Ponta Delgado (Azores). In addition fire alarms were going off all the time.

If Arcadia was in trouble even with a double hull, I guess this gives us some insight of how the new QV, vista class design will weather in the Atlantic.

Does anyone know who designed the Vista class?

Arcadia was to have been the Victoria.

Apparently the "real" (sic) Victoria is a little longer and has been strengthened.

Will be a real laugh watching her bobbing around in mid atlantic!

Or even the North Sea (heh, heh, heh)????

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Arcadia as she sailed through some rough weather in October - one day of force 7, two of force 9 and a day of force 10. The Atlantic swell was long and fairly high (20-25 feet), and at times the wind over the deck was 60 to 70 knots. Naturally the outside decks were closed....

Arcadia barely rolled at all, and she rode the swell, pitching up and down in time with the waves with no real dramatics. At no time was she in any danger.... but care was required when going up and down stairs!

She was indeed going to be the Queen Victoria, I've got some photographs taken of her during construction at the Fincantieri yard in Italy, in which "Cunard" and "Queen Victoria" can clearly be seen.

James

Vampire Parrot, I'd sure like to see your photographs from the yard.

Cap'n Rhone,

I have a few closeups of her funnel under construction. When QV became ARCADIA the white wind scoop at the base of the funnel was removed and the rest of the casing was painted yellow. I understand that the weld line for the two Cunard 'stripes' are still visible.

Are any of your ship drawings available to view anywhere?

Stephen

Prinsendam, I have one picture from a few years back on Sam Warwick's QE2 website but other than that I haven't gotten anything else online. Once I get a scanner and draw a few more pictures I would be glad to show them to you. Speaking of Queen Victoria, I'll have to draw her too...

Archived