Have you noticed any changes?

Howie from MD

We just got back from our 8th Princess cruise (Sapphire/Alaska) and have started to see/feel/experience changes (not for the good). Some examples:

1) Ship holds 2,600 people and we had 3,100 people.
2) Was difficult to get reservations at the restaurants.
3) Ice cream used to be Haagen Dazs, yet now they use generic brand (and charge the same).
4) Appeared that they were short on staff (dining room, bar, etc.)
5) The quality of food in all restaurants appeared to have declined. My wife is a Registered Dietitian and noticed things like : lower quality/cut of meats, instant potatoes, re-use of food and deserts (from dining room to buffet), many high sodium products, etc.
6) Very limited room service breakfast.
7) No show last night of cruise.

When I spoke with ship staff and my travel agent they all attributed it to the "Carnival Influence."

Has anyone else noticed changes as of recent? The ship was beautiful, the cruise was great, it is just that we (as well as other passengers we spoke with) noticed a decline.

Thanks,

Howie

Howie - Princess [u]is[/u] short on waiters right now. One of my friends on the Caribbean Princess was offered a deal he could not refuse. Instead of his 8 month contract he's working 6.5 months getting paid for the 8 months, still gets at least 1.5 months off, but is working a lot more tables as a result.:eek:

Well, here's my take.

1) A sold out ship should not have been unexpected during the peak of vacation season. That's why it's called high season.
2) A result of 1.
3) I get my fill of ice cream at lunch and/or at supper. It is homemade and superior to anything else I've ever had. And it's free.
4) Probably the only one of your observations that I could say I have also experienced. The introduction of three new ships this year has resulted in staff shortages. It is clearly evident in the bar service.
5) The food on our last two cruises in April was as good as we've ever experienced on Princess, and much better than what we'd had during cruises during 2002. I think we lucked out with great chefs last April on both the Caribbean and Golden. Friends of ours with plenty of Princess experience (13 cruises) sailed Carnival for the first time in years and said the food on Carnival was better than Princess. Go figure, it's entirely subjective anyway.
6) This has been in place for quite some time. I think the room service menus were changed prior to the merger.

I'm surprised the staff on the ship would make any comments.

I respectfully disagree that anything you observed is a direct result of the CCL/P&O merger.

Although you just returned from your 8th Princess Cruise you didn't mention when you last sailed with them? That might help to figure out why you feel they have changed so much. Also, have you sailed with any other cruise line since your last Princess sailing? That could come into play also. (just wondering)

Definitely during high season the ships will be full to capacity, kids out of school and vacations, that is why summer is much more expensive to cruise, it is in high demand.

We haven't noticed any changes in the room service menu, we have sailed Princess for over 11 years and it is the same as it used to be back on our first cruise with them. That confuses me a little bit. :confused: Except now we can call down for a room service menu during meal hours (including breakfast) and have anything delivered to our cabin that is on the menu, that was not like that before, so to us we feel it has improved.

Never have visted the Haagen Dazs so can't comment on that one.

I can still remember a cruise back in 1993 when the buffets were mostly left overs from the night before, so I am also confused on that point.

Alternate dining reservations have to be well thought out ahead of time. Think about how many passengers they seat in them compared to how many are sailing on the ship? Yep, need to plan way ahead of time to get the desired time, we usually make reservations the first day for later in the cruise.

Which leaves the food quality and short staffing. Since I was not on the ship with you, it would be hard for me to say what you encountered, but we have been very pleased with the food on Princess and have sailed with them over 50 days in the last 12 months. Definitely haven't seen any decline in any of the areas you mentioned that we are acquainted with.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=black][font='Comic Sans MS']I don't think the dreaded "Carnival Influence" has resulted in any of the points made. I’ll agree that in some areas, there has been a drop in quality and as already pointed out, bringing three large ships on line in one year would be a little taxing on the staffing levels, I’d think. As others have noted, I felt the food on my last Sun Princess cruise was as good as or better than before the Carnival merge. [/font][/color]

[color=black][font='Comic Sans MS']What the merge with Carnival has done – really – is allow for an influx of capital for Princess Cruises. If it hadn’t been a Carnival merge, it would have been one with RCI and then we’d all be lamenting. I don’t think any cutbacks are due to Carnival – if anything, they are due to the travel industry slump – which is easing – and the fact there is a glut of ships out there and there is a need to sail them full. Prices for cruises are very low and something has to suffer. Unfortunately, sometimes that’s in quality or service. But it’s not just a Princess phenomena. [/font][/color]
[color=black][font='Comic Sans MS'][/font][/color]
[color=black][font='Comic Sans MS']Now if everyone would just buy their share of premium ice cream, maybe the increase in on board revenue would encourage some change :rolleyes: [/font][/color]
[/font]

[b][color=black]I am sorry to say that I think cruising in general has had MINOR reductions in many areas, and that was predictable with the decline in costs. I am booking at much lower rates than 5 yeas ago. That trend maybe ending as the '05 rates are up noticably. [/color][/b]
[b][color=black][/color][/b]
[b][color=black]As to the OP's points, the reason you were at 3100 was children as 3rd and 4th passengers. Peak sailing means peak crowds. Sapphire is brand new with less than 10 salings and food is hugely subjective. I don't believe you will find instant potatos on Princess and the Carnival "influence" as has been pointed out was largely CASH.[/color][/b]

We have noticed slight changes in the Cruising Experience over the last 10 years. I am sure that these changes have been the result of the world events, the current economy, and the expansion of the cruise industry(addition of several ships a season). Our solution - switch to Princess!

We have been cruising since 1981 (Norway), and these days we are paying alot less for our cruises than we did years ago. I'm sure if there are changes, it has to do with the cost and the number of ships out there. ;)

I thank all of you for your comments. Obviously, everyone has a difference of opinions, and I certainly respect all of them. The one thing that I really forgot to say was to be truthful, that the cruises (15) I have taken (not only Priness, but also Celebrity, and Royal Carribean) have been relatively inexspensive. We usually get a balcony or mini-suite and usually end up spending $ 1,200 - 1,800 per person. When you consider that includes food, enetrtainment, room etc. maybe my expectations are just too high. When I compare it to the better lines, Radisson, Crystal, Oceance, Seabourn), they have been a steel.

Howie

Archived