Just off the Imagination- Review

LMC

My husband and I actually booked this trip for last year- right smack in the midst of Wilma. This was our rescheduled cruise. Now let me explain that we have cruised 14 times before, but never on a shorter than a 7-day. We really prefer the 10-11 day cruises, but thought this would be a a good getaway. And we have not cruised with Carnival since we did so with our children when they were much younger- we usually cruise with Celebrity or RCCL. So, we did not pay much for this cruise and we really did not expect much.

Embarkation went very quickly, I had done all of the registering online, so it was a matter of getting an imprint of our credit card, picking up our room keys, and we were there.

We were in room E121- we usually book a veranda room, but thought the OceanView would be OK for such a short cruise. The room was well divided, but I did not like to have to climb over my husband to get into the bed. There was more than enough closet and drawer space. The amenities were fine- but there was no body lotion (did not bring my own so I bought some on board).

We brought all of our own luggage on board, and that was great. They tell you that anything over 24" has to be left with a porter, but our largest suitcase was 26" and we were fine. As long as the suitcase fits through the x-ray machine it will be fine.

We immediately went to the buffet as we had travelled all day and were hungry. It looked VERY unappetizing- but I took some chicken anyway. My husband took some roast beef which looked fine, but was ice cold, as were the hot dogs. I ended up getting a salad at the salad bar and putting my chicken in the salad- was mediocre at best.

We did not eat the buffets the rest of the cruise- they truly looked awful. Thank God for the pizza and caeser salad buffet (those were great!). My husband ate mostly burgers at lunch. We ended up eating breakfast in the dining room, which was fine.

Dinners in the dining room were a real disappointment as well. The food was adequate but not of a caliber I am used to on a cruise. And the poor waitstaff was so busy that they were very inattentive.

We did go to the Mirage bar before dinner- there was a great piano bar there and the piano player was very entertaining. We attended an magic and comedy show that was terrible.

FYI- we docked in Key West at 7:30 am- my husband and I were off the ship by 9am. They should tell you that nothing opens on Key West until 10am- we could have stayed on board until at least then.

We were told that Playa Del Carmen was just as good as Cozumel to shop in-SO NOT TRUE!!!! We LOVE to shop in Cozumel, and PDC was a poor substitute. We did buy some stuff, but don't let anyone tell you that the shops are of equal caliber as Cozumel- they are not. We would have rather gone to the beach, and would do that next time. In fact, shopping on the ship was better than in port!

This cruise was not expensive, and we made the best of it. I do not think I would cruise with Carnival again, unless we got a great deal and it was a quick getaway. After all, Any cruise is better than No cruise, right???? I would be glad to answer specific questions- feel free to email me at mabeast2@aol.com.

Hmm.. I thought the Imagination was great. Our waiter and head waiter were very nice and very attentive. Food was good. The guy that did our rooms was nice. Though I think my mom had him spying on me and my friend, like when we left our room he'd always tell my mom when he saw us leave. :p I loved Club 02.

There was only one person that made me mad. It was one of the Lido deck bar dudes. He was only serving people that were getting mixed drinks and stuff. There was a bunch of us that had our soda cards out and wanting a soda. I finally left in a huff. After that we went to the bar on the Pramand deck.. seeing as that's where all the stuff we wanted to do was. :-D

Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. My DW and I have sailed on the Imagination in 03 and had a wonderful time. We are sailing her again in 09 as a family cruise. So far, we have found the Imagination is the best ship that we have sailed on Carnival.

I am glad that you are not giving up on cruising, just not liking Carnival. Guess that means more room for us when we book.

Sorry you didnt enjoy the Imagination, but I guess if you cruise Celebrity you become spoiled (sorry couldnt think of a better word) by what they have to offer. The Imagination was fabulous back in August, but that was my first cruise. I plan on cruising with Carnival again and would love to go on the Imagination again.

One question, other then the piano player was there anything else you enjoyed?

I will be sailing on the Imagination in Jan 07,, first time without a DH...and i plan on having a great time..I dont think anything can go wrong on this cruise for me!! ( unless ex finds out I am going and books the same cruise)

There was only one person that made me mad. It was one of the Lido deck bar dudes. He was only serving people that were getting mixed drinks and stuff. There was a bunch of us that had our soda cards out and wanting a soda.

Yes, I saw the Lido bar dudes... they were always coming by asking if someone wanted a drink... but they really want tips. Soda cards are not likely to result in tips, even though you pre-paid a 15% gratuity when it was bought.

When they bring a receipt, they tactfully explain the 15% gratuity on the bill is for the bartender, and they extra line is "just for them." So you may feel obliged to add another 15% for the server. Ouch. This is why we make our own drinks!

We were on the Oct 19 Imagination and our experience was 180 degrees from yours. We found the Lido food very good and never cold. Tables were bused very quickly and the staff was extremely friendly. The time in Key West really is a bust. But we found Xcaret in Calica to be an excellent time. I would be on the Imagination again tommorrow given the opportunity. This was our 11th cruise on 4 different cruise lines. The Imagination and staff are second to none.

Archived