What can Cruise Critic do better?

editor@cruisecritic

When you do any other site regards UK Ports can you PLEASE not put Southampton London UK.

Southampton is NOT London it is quite away away and London does have its own docks.

Southampton is in Hampshire NOT London.

Many of the cruise sites and magazines from the United States always put Southampton London UK.

Thanks

Yes! I would agree totoally!! It's so annoying!! Hampshire is a long way from London. It's almost like our American cousins assuming that we all live in London and know the Queen...!!:eek:

But it must said, in all fairness, that for North Americans who are cruising out of one of the U.K. ports, London's the big draw.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Most US cruisers who are sailing from Dover, Harwich or Southampton never get anywhere near London.

So describing London as "the big draw" is like suggesting that anyone flying to Newark to get an RCI cruise from the New Jersey cruise terminal is being attracted to New York as a vibrant and fascinating city.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not sure I agree with this. Most US cruisers who are sailing from Dover, Harwich or Southampton never get anywhere near London.

So describing London as "the big draw" is like suggesting that anyone flying to Newark to get an RCI cruise from the New Jersey cruise terminal is being attracted to New York as a vibrant and fascinating city.

Actually your analogy (NY) is good.

Folks from the West Coast of the USA usually fly into an east coast departure port a day or two before a sailing because of the 3 hour time change and the kegitimate concerns about flight delays and lost luggage.

While there are good hotels in and near Newark airport, most would say that the way to do the trip is to visit NYC for a few days to acclimate to the time change and see some of the sights.

But NYC is only 10 miles or so from Newark and from the port and easily accessible. The analogy to Harwich is apt as it is not much of a destination city on its own.

Comparatively, however, Southhampton and Dover are more analogous to Boston Mass. or Norfolk Virginia; both are major travel destinations in and of themeselves and are far enough away from NYC to require some careful planning to get to the port when arriving in NYC (or Washington DC).

Have y'all noticed we now have created separate boards for P&O Australia and P&O UK? Check 'em out. And thanks for the great feed back. Particularly about the destinations -- Norwegian fjords are definitely on our list as are Atlantic islands. Madeira, by the way, just launched this week and we're featuring the Canaries very soon....

Carolyn

what would be really good imo, but is a bit more fundamental than content, would be if the individual forums could be timestamped with the 'last visited' date & time, rather than the whole board - I often pop in for a few mins to check a thread I been reading, but don't always have time to visit all the forums that I read. This makes it difficult to see 'new' messages, and to 'read last' (?)when I DO get time - and when the boards were down recently, it picked up the time i visited but got the 'boards not available' and couldn't read anything - when I came back next day, I had to check the date on every message to check 'did I read that one friday' (when in fact I last visited thursday - so i missed some anyway:D )

Karen

what would be really good imo, but is a bit more fundamental than content, would be if the individual forums could be timestamped with the 'last visited' date & time, rather than the whole board - I often pop in for a few mins to check a thread I been reading, but don't always have time to visit all the forums that I read. This makes it difficult to see 'new' messages, and to 'read last' (?)when I DO get time - and when the boards were down recently, it picked up the time i visited but got the 'boards not available' and couldn't read anything - when I came back next day, I had to check the date on every message to check 'did I read that one friday' (when in fact I last visited thursday - so i missed some anyway:D )

Karen

I do that by tagging the P&O Board (and the others that I host) in "My Favorites" so when it pops up, it shows all new posts immediately.

Unfortunately, it won't work for the situation that KarenR_UK experienced (as did I): Once you visit any of the boards, your "last visited" time for the whole of the CC boards is updated. So if the boards break down during your visit, you will lose all of the "new post" markers between the previous successful visit and the next visit after the boards return.

AFAIK, the boards work by setting a single cookie for a logged-in visit to any CC boards page, so what KarenR_UK would like is probably not possible without some serious software engineering by vBulletin.

so what KarenR_UK would like is probably not possible without some serious software engineering by vBulletin.

I suspected that which is why I didn't post about it before & just after a board update is the most inappropriate time one should make such request :D

but after last week I thought I would at least raise the issue in case it could be achieved :)

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Globaliser. Regardless of whether folks stay in London and take the train or bus down or come straight to Southampton, we're just going to give people info on doing both (though our hotel options and such will focus more on Southampton).

Wait til you see it. Then if you find it off...drop me an email (editor@cruisecritic.com) and let me know. We're looking at a late Feb. launch.

Carolyn

Archived