Best Beach?

Caribbean Fun

Is Grand Anse really the best beach in Martinique or is it over rated? I would like to visit a gorgeous beach there for our short day, one where there's a beach bar, some hammocks, swaying palm trees, chairs, clear calm water and scenery, maybe some snorkeling?. I've read other threads about Pointe Du Bout and saw some pictures that didn't look dreamy looking. Which is the best beach in Martinique considering the above standards?

Take an excursion to Salines. It's picture perfect. Don't go to Point du Bout or any of the others on the bay and expect a Caribbean quality beach. They are ok for those who have never been to the beach or just don't care. If you want a nice beach go to Salines. Second best is the one next to Club Med. You can use the Club Med beach while there. Since this is France there are no private beaches so they must share.

All of the beaches on the bay of Fort de France are tourist traps but ok, if you have no taste. Anse Mitan is my favorite on the bay. Very touristy but great sand, long and reasonably clean water. Good for cheap day trip.

Also, the Ferrys run from downtown Fort de France across the bay to all points. One to Trois Ilets Bourg (downtown - no beach), Point du Bout (tourist trap/marina/shopping/man made beach), Anse Mitan/Anse a L'ane (best is Anse Mitan, this one hits two beaches then returns downtown). Fares about 3 euros roundtrip. Tickets bought onboard. When the guy comes to click your ticket, just give give him some euros and he'll give you one then click it. Don't expect them to speak english. Look for a sign on standing up on the bow of the boat giving destination.

If you have to ask write it on a piece of paper or ask Anse Mitan (ahnse metahn), Trois Ilets Bourg (twahs elay borg), or Pointe du Bout (pwahnt do bow). That's how you pronounce them. The ferrys are mostly for locals so not much on signs or english.

They are frequent up until about 7pm on weekdays an Saturday morning. After 7pm on weekdays they don't exist. On Sundays and Saturday afternoons they are just less often.

Don't expect to see the real Martinique either downtown or across the bay. It is friendlier. prettier and cleaner away from the cities.

Don't miss www.martinique.org .

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you VERY much for the information! I really appreciate that. Is it expensive to take a cab to Salines? Will there be other cabs near when we want to go back to the ship? I think our ship is in port only until 3:00pm. Hope I don't have to settle for Anse Mitan.

• 2 weeks later...

sferuson98:

Ended up going to Anse Mitan because we didn't think there would be enough time to go to Le Salines (45min ferry ride each way) so we went to Anse Mitan

Anse Mitan was probably one of the ugliest beaches we've ever visited. Why would you reccommend that beach???? IT was really bad.

I saw some pictures of Pointe Du Bout and they looked much prettier than Anse Mitan. What were you thinking???

Archived