How far is it

tigerdadky

I have been to Key West several times but never by ship. I believe the cruise ships dock at the old naval base. IIRC there are two piers there. One begins near the north end of Duval street which is where the tourist stuff is, but the other pier runs opposite on the other side of the channel closer to the southernmost point.

If two ships are in port and these two docking positions are used, does a shuttle take passengers from the far ship around? Or does one simply "hoof it" ?

You know the Carnival forum isn't the only place for info:

www.mapquest.com would have answered your question and www.yahoo.com has a good maping and direction section as well.

?? - not quite sure why you posted your comment this way...

of course we all know that the Carnival forum isn't the only place for info.

But it IS a place to ask a question. And, although I use mapquest, google, and yahoo all the time for directions/estimates, they are not perfect - I'd rather ask a person with actual knowledge. Silly me.

If you are docked right at Mallory Square, it's an "easy" walk from Mallory to Southermost point - less than 1 and 1/2 miles away ("easy" being a subjective term - I just did 8 miles up in the mountains yesterday...). It's basically flat. And there is plenty of shopping along the way (although some of it may not appeal to some, and might be offensive to some). Great way to scope out where to stop for a meal on the way back.

If you are in the Navy yard you will need to get a transport from the ship (I believe they provide something . . .

oooh - try google earth for a great view of Key west:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=duval+street+key+west&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.555544,106.523438&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=24.554345,-81.797676&spn=0.016668,0.026007&t=k&om=0

When docked at the Navy Pier you have to take the shuttle trolley. Since it is a navy area they don't allow people walking and roaming the pier. The Trolley will pick you up right at the ship and takes you to Mallory Square.

When you are ready to go back to the ship you head back to Mallory Square and get on a Trolley for your ship. They were constantly coming and going. There are several Trolleys running so just ask the drivers to point you to one that is going to the ship.

There are some photos of the process at my photo link below in the album titled Carnival Glory Cruise - Sunday.

i've never docked at navy yard, so it's always been walking distance for us. we do a lot here (without any excursion) and we do it in only the few short hours we were in port. i talk about our walking tour in Key West Port of Call forum in the "Need Sloppy Joe's info" thread, if you're interested.

You know the Carnival forum isn't the only place for info:

www.mapquest.com would have answered your question and www.yahoo.com has a good maping and direction section as well.

I was a bit surprised by the tone here. these are obvious resosurces. Like the OP I was reading to hear first hand accounts. map quest has led me wrong before. thanks to everyone for their input.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are docked right at Mallory Square, it's an "easy" walk from Mallory to Southermost point - less than 1 and 1/2 miles away It's basically flat. And there is plenty of shopping along the way (although some of it may not appeal to some, and might be offensive to some). Great way to scope out where to stop for a meal on the way back.

I'd say this post hit the nail on the head. My son and I walked from the Mallory Square pier to the Southernmost point, then over to the big cemetery and then back to the ship via the William Street seaport area. The walk was long, but flat and very enjoyable.

After that walk, we met up with the rest of our family and did the trolley tour. Followed that up with lunch at the Hard Rock and then checked out the shops & historic markers around Mallroy Square before re-boarding the ship.

LizaMM I enjoyed your pics as well as any I have viewed on here. Even though I will be on the celebration, I still enjoy seeing other ships. I will be going to Key West though so those were especially interesting. TY and glad you enjoyed your cruise.

DH & I were in Key West last week. We ended up taking a cab from pier to the point because of time, we were only there from 7 to 2. Then we walked Duval Street back to the ship. It was a nice walk. We shopped and stopped at the Blonde Giraffe for Key Lime pie (sooo good) and Margaritaville to eat.

Starrluna

Dont know if this question will survive or not, but can anyone tell me how far it is from where the cruise ships dock to Duval St. in Key West. And how far is it to the Southern Most Point marker.

This depends on what cruise line and ship you are on. If you are on Carnival, you have to take a trolley ride into town. Otherwise, Duval St. is steps away from the pier.

The Southernmost Point is on Whitehead St. Whitehead St. parallels Duval St. and the Southernmost Point is 1.5 miles from the pier.

Archived