Independent Tour Guides?

teacherman

We will be on Grand Princess in February stopping at Belize. We are interested in a nice tour of the area with a stop for lunch. Not really into ziplines or tubing. I have heard there are independent, licensed tour guides that do this. Does anyone know how to contact them? Is it something you do ahead of time or do you just hook up with someone when you get there? Any info is appreciated.

We will be on Grand Princess in February stopping at Belize. We are interested in a nice tour of the area with a stop for lunch. Not really into ziplines or tubing. I have heard there are independent, licensed tour guides that do this. Does anyone know how to contact them? Is it something you do ahead of time or do you just hook up with someone when you get there? Any info is appreciated.

Gilbert Young is a licensed tour operator that is "inside the fence". He has a "kiosk" (I joking call it that...it is a folding table) in front of a restaurant called the Wet Lizard. Everyone calls him Gilly. His email address is gillytours@yahoo.com

Tell him that Linda from Cruise Critic said to take good care of you. He and I talked for a long time this month when we were there and he and other licensed tour operators are working hard to make the cruisers feel comfortable. I told him to 2 most important things were that we wanted to feel safe and we wanted to make sure we got back to the port on time.

His table is to the right as you get off the tender. If would email him with an idea of what you would like to do and get some prices and then if you still aren't sure....you can still play it by ear when you get to port. Make sure you keep your watch on SHIP time. It varies from port to port.

I would not go beyond the fence without a tour of some sort...be it independent or ship. For those who don't know, Belize is the only English speaking country in Central America....so lanuage will not be a barrier.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful day in Belize.

Archived