Which would you pick...?

jimbug

If you could go on a 5-night HAL Zuiderdam cruise including airfare in a balcony cabin....for the same price as a 5-night Carnival Ecstasy cruise suite (don't need airfare--can drive to Galveston)...which would you pick?

I figure it's a no-brainer posting this on the Carnival boards, but I'm hoping someone out there has cruised both and can give me some insight. It would be a Christmas vacation cruise for my mom and I...I am 22 and have cruised only Princess before...it would be my mom's first cruise.

Thanks!

ONLY because I wouldn't want to drive from OK to the TX coast - I would choose the HAL cruise. If it includes air, sounds like you're getting a really good deal for a balcony. It's the SAME price as Carnival Ectasy w/o air?

I LOVE Carnival, but.....this would be a no-brainer in the other direction to me!:) I'll be curious to see other replies.

I think I'd choose the Zuiderdam also. I haven't stayed in a Carnival suite yet (probably won't for a looooong time, too, due to not winning a lottery yet!) but I've seen several postings that indicate the suites aren't ALL that great on the older Carnival ships & you don't get perks or benefits from being in a suite like you do on some other lines. And I don't know my HAL ships that well, but I'm thinking the Zuiderdam is pretty new, plus I agree that the airfare & balcony would help swing it that way for me. Not a cruise veteran here, so take my .02 with a grain of salt!! :p

They both sound like very good deals, I can see your dilemma. I think where the ship was going would make a big difference for me. Some ports of call are better than others. A suite sounds really nice! Though I agree with Cotton on the drive. I live in Texas and the drive from Ok to Tx would be a pain in the behind. We live in the Fort Worth area of Texas. It is about a four hour drive for us to get to Galveston and that's enough! If I had to drive any further, I think I would go insane. If it weren't for the long drive I would say take the suite. But Cotton's right. Hal is a good deal and you can fly there.

I would choose HAL because it is a newer ship and the balcony cabins are very nice. Passengers will probably be a bit older on HAL and overall it will be a quieter, more relaced cruise. Depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. You would probably find more people your age on Carnival.

I would be happy with either one and, like you, have never sailed either line. I would make the choice after making some comparative decisions.

Carnival vs. HAL

1. Carnival = long drive; HAL = flight, airport hassles
  2. Carnival = 2 sea days; HAL = 1
  3. Carnival = 2 Mexican ports; HAL= Nassau, Private Island, Key West
  4. Carnival = Suite; HAL = Balcony
  5. Carnival = 13 year old ship; HAL = 2 year old

For me I would give HAL the nod on #1 and 3 and Carnival #2. #4 would be a tossup. #5 Makes no difference (to me).

Based on this, for me, it would be HAL.

If you could go on a 5-night HAL Zuiderdam cruise including airfare in a balcony cabin....for the same price as a 5-night Carnival Ecstasy cruise suite (don't need airfare--can drive to Galveston)...which would you pick?

I figure it's a no-brainer posting this on the Carnival boards, but I'm hoping someone out there has cruised both and can give me some insight. It would be a Christmas vacation cruise for my mom and I...I am 22 and have cruised only Princess before...it would be my mom's first cruise.

Thanks!

The estacy is my wife's fav ship, so if I was taking her (which I would,) that would be our choice. It is a very good ship even with its age. I would also rather go to the ports that it goes to rather than the bahamas. However I would like to try Holland once also. My advice is don't worry about your choice just make it and have a great time on either.

I have never been on HAL, but from everything I heard, it's the geriatric line. I'm not sure if there will be much for a 22 year old to do. Maybe I am wrong, but I picture a cruise on HAL like a 5 day trip on a floating fancy nursing home. But, who am I to judge? I have never sailed with them, and maybe a 5 day sailing if different.

It seems like the two ships/cruises are worlds apart. I have never been on a 5 day, but I heard that a younger, more party oriented crowd sails on the shorter Carnival cruises.

So, if you are looking for a raging good time, I would choose the Carnival cruise. IF you are looking for a more relaxing, sedate cruise, I would choose the Holland America cruise.

Good luck!

Holly B.

I agree with what Littlegoo said. It depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. HAL will be more sedate.

If you do cruise on HAL...please get back to us and let us know (from a 22 year old's perspective) how it was!!

I've seen several postings that indicate the suites aren't ALL that great on the older Carnival ships
I would agree. I saw the Owner's suite on the Sensation. While it was huge and had a balcony and yes it was nicer compared to regular Carnival cabins... I was expecting more. Overall I wasn't that impressed and I certainly wouldn't fork out the money for it.

I have cruised both lines, and I say it depends on what you want. If you want a quiet, relaxing trip go HAL. If you want to party till all hours of the night, go Carnival.

Either way, it is a problem I would like to have.

Sounds great...thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I think we are leaning towards HAL...for several reasons. For one, the drive to Galveston wouldn't be too bad, as we would be leaving from my parents' house in TX...but I think my mom would enjoy HAL a lot more, plus the itinerary is much better. However...all that said...the main reason that is pushing me over to HAL is the fact that Carnival does NOT give perks for staying in suites. Too bad, wish I could afford an S suite on HAL or one of Princess' great ones.

Thanks again!

Archived