Eden Rock

packedandready

Here is a link to some answers to a post I had some questions on earlier, that should give you a little information. Otherwise, if you just do a search for Edens Rock, you should get lots of information. It sounds very good. We intend to spend some of our time here in February when we're there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=382577

We just dove Eden Rock on our last cruise. The snorkeling is pretty good there. It is a fair swim to some of the nicer looking spots. I would not do it without a vest. Close in there is plenty of marine life to see though. When getting in the water I'd wear gloves or booties. There are LOTS of small sea urchens (sp?) that have lots of spines. Nothing to scare you off, but something to be aware of.

Have fun!!!

Wow' date=' thanks packedandready, I was just looking on-line to see how much they were. Also posted a ? on the Grand Caymen Boards. THanks so much for the info. Doesn't quite seem worth it to buy them then. :D[/quote']

As many times as I've rented them I could have bought a good one. :D Oh well, at least I don't have to pack it.

We snorkeled at Eden Rock last week and had a fantastic time. The snorkeling was incredible. We've been there three times before, and the last time conditions were not great and the currents were strong, and the other times were so long ago we'd forgotten.

This time seas were very smooth, not much (if any) current, and the sun was out. Wow! I'm glad we choose to snorkel there as it was very convenient.

We went to the Eden Rock dive center, rather than stopping at the Paradise restaurant - as Eden Rock seemed to have more space, had lockers available, and had a fresh water shower by the water. We rented fins there as we'd decided not to lug ours around. We have some cheap neoprene socks that help walking on rocky areas into the water a little, but have no sole, and also keep the full foot snorkeling fins from chafing our ankles & feet. The people at Eden Rock were very helpful and pointed out where the Eden Rock reef and the other different reefs were - which was also very helpful. We saw tons of fish, varied kinds, and some common ones (parrot fish and yellow snappers) that were larger than we've seen before. Also saw several large schools of fish.

After snorkeling a couple hours we walked about 10 minuites towards, and past, the tender pier to have lunch at Hammerheads. The food was just what we were looking for - a fresh fish lunch. BUT... we wished we had started earlier and had more time as Hammerheads is right in front of another snorkeling area where there is a shipwreck, (Cala?). We would have liked to try that too - and will plan to do both Eden Rock and the Cala next time we're in GC!

Thanks for the the post lsimon. This is still what we're leaning towards, but maybe we have to have a plan b if the seas don't cooperate huh? I am getting so excited though we do have to wait awhile yet. :) Did you rent dive vests too? and did you use dive buoys? or feel the need to have either?

Thanks for the the post lsimon. This is still what we're leaning towards' date=' but maybe we have to have a plan b if the seas don't cooperate huh? I am getting so excited though we do have to wait awhile yet. :) Did you rent dive vests too? and did you use dive buoys? or feel the need to have either?[/quote']

My wife and I have dove there proably 3 to 4 times so far, we are heading back next week. Their are channel markers to keep boats out of the area. At some points the rocks are only a few feet below the surface.

Roger

Do have the people at the dive store tell you where the good reef areas, including Eden Rock itself, are relative to the round buoys you'll see. While there is good snorkeling all around the area, the actual Eden Rock reef was the best. It is a fair ways out, but not too far to snorkel out to, so you need to know where to go.

Not that I have been there yet, my I know from other posts that you can bring your own equipment (as I am planning on doing ;) ). I'm just hoping for calm waters the day we are in port. :D Enjoy!

Thanks LSimon and Amanda and Roger for your additional help! I am so looking forward to this day. I even just got a new (to me) underwater camera just for this trip!

Can anyone tell me if this an exclusive area or can you just bring your own equipement to snorkel?

You can bring your own snorkel gear and go right in. Remember that shore facilities are provided for customer use, so rent a locker or buy a tshirt or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all this useful info on Eden Rock.

I too have a few questions please:

We bought a water wallet that we will keep our money etc in. Will it be safe to leave our beach bag on the beach with towels, hats etc in ? How safe is the area?

Cali Wreck : How far walking from Eden Rock is it ?

Thank you very kindly for any responses.

Thanks for all this useful info on Eden Rock.

I too have a few questions please:

We bought a water wallet that we will keep our money etc in. Will it be safe to leave our beach bag on the beach with towels, hats etc in ? How safe is the area?

Cali Wreck : How far walking from Eden Rock is it ?

Thank you very kindly for any responses.

I always carry my money, ID, ship cards and credit cards in a water wallet on my person. Isn't' that the purpose for a water wallet. I'll take a chance on the other stuff being stolen, but not my ID & credit cards! If you don't want to take these snorkeling with you then there are lockers available at Eden Rock dive center, which is the second place you come to walking from the pier.

The wreck of the Cali is about as far to the left as you exit the pier as Eden Rock is to the right - about a five minute walk. The two are a good 10 minute walk from each other. Look for a restaurant called Hammerheads along the water and it is right there. I think there is public access just past Hammerheads. We haven't snorkeled there but ate lunch at Hammerheads (recommended for fresh catch seafood lunch near the pier) and saw it there - waitress confirmed that is where the wreck was. Might try saving time for that next trip.

I always carry my money, ID, ship cards and credit cards in a water wallet on my person. Isn't' that the purpose for a water wallet. I'll take a chance on the other stuff being stolen, but not my ID & credit cards! If you don't want to take these snorkeling with you then there are lockers available at Eden Rock dive center, which is the second place you come to walking from the pier.

The wreck of the Cali is about as far to the left as you exit the pier as Eden Rock is to the right - about a five minute walk. The two are a good 10 minute walk from each other. Look for a restaurant called Hammerheads along the water and it is right there. I think there is public access just past Hammerheads. We haven't snorkeled there but ate lunch at Hammerheads (recommended for fresh catch seafood lunch near the pier) and saw it there - waitress confirmed that is where the wreck was. Might try saving time for that next trip.

we are really looking forward to having lunch at Hammerheads...

anyone know if there is a dive shop near the wreck of Cali? I was wondering if there was any lockers near by?

Also people that use the lockers at Eden .... do you put your ID and other stuff in them or not?

I don't recall seeing a dive shop by the Cali - but wasn't really looking for one.

I haven't used the lockers at Eden Rock but did see them. They are all outside. I always wear a small waterproof case just big enough for our ship cards, drivers licenses, a credit card and some cash. Never leave it behind. We just left our towels and stuff sitting by a wall outside of the Eden Rock shop.

Actually this time we rented fins from the shop and they kept our ship cards until we returned the fins.

I don't recall seeing a dive shop by the Cali - but wasn't really looking for one.

I haven't used the lockers at Eden Rock but did see them. They are all outside. I always wear a small waterproof case just big enough for our ship cards, drivers licenses, a credit card and some cash. Never leave it behind. We just left our towels and stuff sitting by a wall outside of the Eden Rock shop.

Actually this time we rented fins from the shop and they kept our ship cards until we returned the fins.

Where did you purchase the waterproof case? Was it online? thanx

There is a dive shop near the Cali, but not sure of their hours or everything they offer, but you can email:

http://www.diversdown.net/shore-dives.htm

pHULnSCXaFIHchg+T2OfrNPqoZ1N0Os30300.jpg

Hammerheads backyard - you can enter the water via their ladder, I thought the beach behind Divers Down (to the left in the picture) was the easier entry - especially with all the crap that I carry. There was some glass around, so watch your step. I asked a waitress at Hammerheads if she would put my stuff behind the bar and she was ok with that. Of course, I tipped extra for the service.

FFWrxzt+pN53b4sc6OPNT6VU6HxwRlH00300.jpg

Lockers are also available at Abanks Dive @ Paradise Restaurant @ Eden Rock:

0uCc19qvwDFzVa04qIpE6drquV1O9Nbi0300.jpg

eK6m7PP0BiXlKiuA46EbkZb4tIwnKyZz0300.jpg

Where did you purchase the waterproof case? Was it online? thanx

Its a common type of small case. I think I bought one online once, but my current one I bought at a store in Hawaii when my other one broke. They were identical. I think the most common brand is Witz, but they are often sold without brand identification. Here is one link but most online snorkel/dive shops sell similar items: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_970/Context_965/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/WTZSS.html?Hit=1

Sometimes if you dive down more than about 12 feet or so they'll leak, but I've never had anyone not take wet cash in the Caribbean, and my credit/ship/ID cards are all waterproof plastic. If you keep the seal relatively clean and buy a new one when if the seal is cracked then they are less likely to leak. You can even buy similar items in the ship store most of the time.

The wreck of the Cali got beat up really badly during the hurricane (Ivan). It used to stand upright with the ribs of the ship still intact. It was a really cool wreck to snorkle. It created a great artificial reef that attracted lots of fish. Unfortunately the hurricane broke the wreck apart. Almost all the structure is gone, and so are the fish that were attracted to it. It lies in pieces now littered across the bottom. We were fortunate to have had the opportunity to snorkle the Cali before the hurricane (and after) and were very dissapointed in what we saw on our last visit after the hurricane. Even the shallow water corals took a huge beating and will take many years to recover. The corals close to shore at Eden Rock were also damaged but the reef out further (around the bouys) was in better shape. We shore snorkle GC whenever we port there. Now you need to swim out further to deeper reefs to get into undamaged corals.

Archived