Repairing the Oosterdam

bigred12

I know that those of use scheduled to cruise the Oosterdam in the next few weeks would greatly appreciate any update. Is there any reduction in port time? Is there a letter from the captain in the cabin upon embarkation explaining the situation? Are they still giving onboard credit?

Thank you in advance.

Just back from the October 21 cruise...will post about our trip when I get some time, but the azipod is still not fixed. It will still be about 3 more weeks...they are basically waiting for the right "parts." $25 shipboard credit was given and the times are adjusted slightly...I don't remember what the times are as ours where totally changed due to Hurricane Paul.

Just back from the October 21 cruise...will post about our trip when I get some time, but the azipod is still not fixed. It will still be about 3 more weeks...they are basically waiting for the right "parts." $25 shipboard credit was given and the times are adjusted slightly...I don't remember what the times are as ours where totally changed due to Hurricane Paul.

Welcome back, bonstersd! I hope your guys had a great time!!

Not sure if you got to see the Chargers game, but it was tough one to watch against the Cheifs anyway. 53 yard field goal. :( But they made up for it yesterday against the Rams! Yes! I was at the game, and then my friends and I went to McGregor's after... (maybe your husband was workin'). Good times.

I'll be looking forward to your later post about the trip. Anxious to hear about the sports bar, the azipod update, etc. Hopefully you guys were able to make the best of avoiding the hurricane, and had good surf, a fun time and a good trip!

LoboJ

Lobo: My husband was working at McGregor's yesterday after that incredible game! Bad news about the sports bar on the O. They only show ESPN and CNN in there. They said they have some kind of a contract with ESPN...even after being bombareded by begging and pleading Chargers fans. We had to watch bowling, pool and a dog show on Sunday... We had no baseball at all and could only see the Monday Night game. No other TVs had any football or baseball either, only TNT (2 channels), 2 movie channels, cartoons, ESPN, CNN, and ship TVs. So, now you know..you'll only get to watch the highlights on Sportscenter.

As far as the Azipod, I'm guessing (but do not know for sure) that one of the future cruises will be shortened by having to go into dry dock to fix the Azipod.

I would hope that those passengers scheduled on the Oosterdam in the next few weeks would be notified about the status of the ship and port schedule - either with documents, via email or through TA's. It bothers me that those of us on the CC HAL board are aware of the problem that happened with the Azipod but a majority of the cruisers that are boarding the ship are not aware of the problem until they find a letter in the cabin. It bothers me that a cruise line that I really enjoy and have had such respect for has not chosen to address this issue with soon to be passengers.

If I didn't know about the problem on the Oosterdam as I do now,and I found out once I got to my cabin, I might assume it was a recent development that took place perhaps a day or two before my cruise and may or may not be concerned. However if I found out that the problem occurred well before my cruise and I had not been notified of schedule changes or a mechanical problem - whether or not it was a safety issue, I don't think I would be a happy cruiser. I would probably chose not to travel again with the cruiseline that didn't provide advance notice of a problem not easliy corrected so that I wouldn't be caught by surprise after boarding.

People book cruises expecting that the ship will be operating at 100% unless there are weather related issues or other natural disasters (i.e. earthquakes). It seems only fair that cruisers should be informed of a potentially long term problem - however minor it may seem to some - and then be allowed to make a decision as to whether or not to take the cruise or cancel and rebook on another ship or at a later date. IMO advance notice of the status of a problem that would impact my cruise seems to be only fair and would considerate of all cruise passengers.

Not knowing what is going on lessens the excitement of our December cruise. Will it be fixed? Should we book shore excursions? Will our cruise be cancelled, shortened or delayed?

Duck Tune: I feel for you, but, in all honesty, the ship is running just a little slower than normal. The ship should hit all its ports of call (assuming no hurricanes as we had). If they told you you had 3 less hours in one port or 2 less in another, would you cancel? What if the azipod is fixed by then and you canceled for nothing? As always, there are no guarantees and you have to go with the flow...as we experienced during our cruise with the hurricane, our plans changed almost every two hours! We just kept joking, okay, time to go back to Cabo! December is still five weeks away...I heard it would be fixed in about 3 weeks....Keep your fingers crossed that your cruise will be nothing but smooth sailing!

I would hope that those passengers scheduled on the Oosterdam in the next few weeks would be notified about the status of the ship and port schedule - either with documents, via email or through TA's. It bothers me that those of us on the CC HAL board are aware of the problem that happened with the Azipod but a majority of the cruisers that are boarding the ship are not aware of the problem until they find a letter in the cabin. It bothers me that a cruise line that I really enjoy and have had such respect for has not chosen to address this issue with soon to be passengers.

If I didn't know about the problem on the Oosterdam as I do now,and I found out once I got to my cabin, I might assume it was a recent development that took place perhaps a day or two before my cruise and may or may not be concerned. However if I found out that the problem occurred well before my cruise and I had not been notified of schedule changes or a mechanical problem - whether or not it was a safety issue, I don't think I would be a happy cruiser. I would probably chose not to travel again with the cruiseline that didn't provide advance notice of a problem not easliy corrected so that I wouldn't be caught by surprise after boarding.

People book cruises expecting that the ship will be operating at 100% unless there are weather related issues or other natural disasters (i.e. earthquakes). It seems only fair that cruisers should be informed of a potentially long term problem - however minor it may seem to some - and then be allowed to make a decision as to whether or not to take the cruise or cancel and rebook on another ship or at a later date. IMO advance notice of the status of a problem that would impact my cruise seems to be only fair and would considerate of all cruise passengers.

Not knowing what is going on lessens the excitement of our December cruise. Will it be fixed? Should we book shore excursions? Will our cruise be cancelled, shortened or delayed?

Ducktime...will you please copy this note and send it to HAL public relations department? Very well stated. If you don't want to, let me know and I will. We deserve some answers. :(

Bonstersd:

As a former San Diegan who loves to go back- thanks for the input and I do appreciate your comments. I hesitated to make any post because I don't want people to think I'm overreacting. I certainly hope that DH and I don't have to cancel (we have a serious medical issue that would be the only reason we would cancel- not the azipod issue for sure). I'm glad to hear that you had a great time and yes, hopefully things will be OK by the time we board. I just think some open communication from HAL would be nice for everyone concerned. That said, I've put in my 2 cents and will no longer worry about something I have no control over!

For someone scheduled to sail on the Oosterdam in 3 ½ weeks, I concur with duck tune. Bonstersd, thanks so much for your update on the azipod and your review of your cruise (and the football games info too;) ).

Cruise Critics has been such a valuable resource on learning so much information about our cruise and our ship. This azipod issue is just another area I am looking for help in gathering more information of possibly shorten or cancellation of our cruise. It has nothing about not being flexible or making the best out of something, but rather understanding if I need to be flexible and make other plans (if only necessary). When Holland America tells me that the azipod has been repaired last week, it feels terrible to be lied to and not trusting their company.

John

Duck Tune: I feel for you, but, in all honesty, the ship is running just a little slower than normal. The ship should hit all its ports of call (assuming no hurricanes as we had). If they told you you had 3 less hours in one port or 2 less in another, would you cancel? What if the azipod is fixed by then and you canceled for nothing? As always, there are no guarantees and you have to go with the flow...as we experienced during our cruise with the hurricane, our plans changed almost every two hours! We just kept joking, okay, time to go back to Cabo! December is still five weeks away...I heard it would be fixed in about 3 weeks....Keep your fingers crossed that your cruise will be nothing but smooth sailing!

I really understand if there is a hurricane, and I wouldn't be disappointed if we missed a port of call, but if they have some indication that a cruise may be cancelled and don't allow us a chance to make immediate plans, or shortened so that we can decide if we wish to go or not, or rebook another cruise or cancel arrangements we have made in the cancelled ports, then I think we have a right to that information prior to stepping on board that ship. The unforeseen...sure bring it on, the predicatable, no not acceptable in my book.

For someone scheduled to sail on the Oosterdam in 3 ½ weeks, I concur with duck tune. Bonstersd, thanks so much for your update on the azipod and your review of your cruise (and the football games info too;) ).

Cruise Critics has been such a valuable resource on learning so much information about our cruise and our ship. This azipod issue is just another area I am looking for help in gathering more information of possibly shorten or cancellation of our cruise. It has nothing about not being flexible or making the best out of something, but rather understanding if I need to be flexible and make other plans (if only necessary). When Holland America tells me that the azipod has been repaired last week, it feels terrible to be lied to and not trusting their company.

John

Amen...

Great post!

i dont sail til jan 6th --- have been to cabo a number of times so if we didnt stop i really wouldnt miss it---- would feel bad if i couldnt see mazatlan and pv but the only thing i have planned is the zip in pv and if we dont tender i get my money back- so personally if we had to sail around for the entire cruise without landing anywhere i still wouldnt cancel becasue i booked for the cruise first and the ports second-- have gone all my life without seeing mazatlan and pv and i dont feel my life has been deprived in any way ---so if i dont see them now so be it --as long as we dont have hurricane weather --rain or rough seas

Ducktime...will you please copy this note and send it to HAL public relations department? Very well stated. If you don't want to, let me know and I will. We deserve some answers. :(

AZSunshine:

We got our documents today and nothing in them to indicate any changes with the ports or time at sea. Do you really think that if I sent my post to HAL it would result in any communication?

we would be interested in any updates that you receive from HAL, please post here if you get anything

$25 for a missed port does not seem adequate, especially at the SC rates, but more importantly, it has been several years (19 I think) since we have visited PV or Maz. Cabo is on lots of our itineraries and I wouldnt be so upset about missing it - we'll hit it again in April as part of a Canal cruise too. But if they have any idea that we will miss any ports, I would imagine that they would have brought it to our attention by now. :)

Bummer - We jumped ship once on Carnival Spirit when they said we would miss Ixtapa and Zijuatanejo, got on the next week and saw all ports - but we missed meeting our cruise critic buddies from "our" thread. I still keep in touch with one gal on these boards - we never did actually meet - one day:(

Think positive! I am convinced it will all work out! :D

I was just on the Oosterdam (10/21 sailing) and it is running a little slower. We had the surf group on board and received notice of the itinerary change (shortened port calls) about 4 days before sailing. According to my HAL source, she received the information from the ship right before she emailed me - I wouldn't expect to have much information to many days before you sail.:rolleyes:

There are several engineers on board from an outside source working on the Pod system. One of the gentlemen was brought on board in PV. According to the discussions I had with these people, the ship will have to enter dry dock to be fixed and it appears that an April Mexican Riveria voyage MIGHT be cancelled to do just that.:(

Until it's fixed, I'd assume Cabo 12-6, Mazatlan 8-6 and PV 8-6. I always prefer to expect the worst and hope for the best though.:)

I hope they do not wait till April to rectify the situation!!:eek:

That was my thought as well, unless they think they can wait till right before the Alaska season and take her back up to Vancouver for a week the end of April before the Alaska season starts:confused:

Archived