Repairing the Oosterdam

bigred12

Just to illustrate: a pic of a port and starboard azipod on a ship in dry-dock

Nice pic thanks for posting that, helps to visualize how big they are, also i remember the first time I saw them I was wondering why they were backwards! ;)

Nice pic thanks for posting that, helps to visualize how big they are, also i remember the first time I saw them I was wondering why they were backwards! ;)

They are mounted that way to maximize efficiency of the screws -- it essentially pulls the ship rather than pushing it -- two advantages: less turbulence effecting the screw, as the water does not first passs around the pod itself; and much greater control- pulling the stern one way or the other - rather than pushing it - makes steering more responsive.

They are mounted that way to maximize efficiency of the screws -- it essentially pulls the ship rather than pushing it -- two advantages: less turbulence effecting the screw, as the water does not first passs around the pod itself; and much greater control- pulling the stern one way or the other - rather than pushing it - makes steering more responsive.

I know I was just joking... thats why there is a ;) symbol there , it is a nice photo though, I'm am retired from USN, was a submariner, ABB has a nice little story about the development of the pods for ice breakers somewhere in their website, its worth checking out.

We are sailing on 11/25 and we have booked the Dolphin swim at 9:15 at Cabo. If the current schedule holds true, do you think they will rebook our swim until later in the day?

Why don't you call HAL Ship's Services (800-541-1576), tell them what you know about the revised times in port and ask them that same question

Cooper, I have. :rolleyes: They tell me it is running on schedule, no changes in itinerary or times. They really do not know what is going on, or they will not respond that there is any change at all. As we get closer to cruising (2 weeks now) I will try again. How much closer do we have to be??:( I will try again tomorrow)

Cooper, I have. :rolleyes: They tell me it is running on schedule, no changes in itinerary or times. They really do not know what is going on, or they will not respond that there is any change at all. As we get closer to cruising (2 weeks now) I will try again. How much closer do we have to be??:( I will try again tomorrow)

Got ya! What I would do then is to ask for a supervisor, tell him/her that you know for a fact (from folks that have recently been aboard Oosterdam) that there has been a change in the times that the ship is in PV from what used to be 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM to 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM and see what kind of response you get.

Tell him/her that you know from those same pax who received a letter from Oosterdam's captain that the port-side azipod has not yet been fixed and that's the reason for the adjusted times. I'd be interested to see what they say

Am going on the Oosterdam 12/2. I am trying not to think too much about port time changes or drydock. I am going to be optomistic and assume that everything will go as planned. I guess anything can happen to any ship at any time and we just have to book our cruises and not stress over what could be!!!

Hope I have convinced everyone (especially myself :)

Barbara

Ok so what's with the Oosterdam being in Ensenada? AZsunshine did you get any news? Ensenada is not on the top of our list of ports especially to replace the three originally scheduled ports. This is getting really interesting.

By the way, can anyone tell us what a

"Master Chefs" dinner is?

By the way, can anyone tell us what a

"Master Chefs" dinner is?

Check out this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=326846&highlight=Master+Chef+Dinner

There are a few more: go to the search feature and type in Master Chef Dinner and highlight Holland America Line for the search.

Perhaps the stop in Ensenada was a special one for the jazz cruise. It would be nice to have some info but I don't expect it - we cruise 12/16.

Did you get this information from Cruisecal? This IS interesting because Cruisecal lists the Oosterdam as being in Ensenada Nov. 10 from 8:00 AM - 11:59 PM. It could be a typo on Cruisecal's part OR they were in Ensenada yesterday. But 8:00 AM is kind of early to arrive all the way from Puerto Vallarta. Wouldn't the O have to really be hauling a.. to get there Friday morning after only one day at sea?? We'll just have to wait until someone posts who was on this sailing.

Archived