Shrinking Captain's Club Coupons

richsea

Just received the latest Captain's Club Celebrity News in the mail. Has anyone noticed how litttle by little, the coupons are worth less & less? For example, I have a copy of a verandah coupon for $175.00 that I used in Nov. 2002. In the previous issue, a verandah coupon was $125.00 & in the latest issue, it is worth $100.00. I realize that this in itself is not a big deal, but when taken with the other "improved CC benefits", where your on board perks are predicated on you spending more, & some other new policies such a the new wine restrictions, & as Tuggers has reported, no ice in your stateroom unless it is requested, it makes one wonder where X is heading.

I don't think they really care much about their repeat passengers.

Just received the latest Captain's Club Celebrity News in the mail. Has anyone noticed how litttle by little, the coupons are worth less & less? For example, I have a copy of a verandah coupon for $175.00 that I used in Nov. 2002. In the previous issue, a verandah coupon was $125.00 & in the latest issue, it is worth $100.00. I realize that this in itself is not a big deal, but when taken with the other "improved CC benefits", where your on board perks are predicated on you spending more, & some other new policies such a the new wine restrictions, & as Tuggers has reported, no ice in your stateroom unless it is requested, it makes one wonder where X is heading.

I don't think they really care much about their repeat passengers.

They definitely don't seem to care. We sailed on the Zenith in July and I reported how the on board benefits for Elite members had been reduced again. Mostly a bunch of coupons that give you a discount if you buy something else. The one I really liked was the coupon for one free stock photo if I buy a photo. What a joke, I buy a formal photo for $25 and they give me a free photo of the ship. There's nothing more I want than a picture of the dining room or the theatre.

Just received the latest Captain's Club Celebrity News in the mail. Has anyone noticed how litttle by little, the coupons are worth less & less?

That was my reaction exactly although I have not had a lot of luck in using these coupons in the past.

That was my reaction exactly although I have not had a lot of luck in using these coupons in the past.

They can be difficult to use, due to the fact that most eligible discounts are for sailings during shoulder seasons, like earlymay for Alaska & Bermuda.

Hi Everyone !

Unfortunately, I feel most of us would agree that both the coupons and Captains Club benefits are headed in the wrong direction. They have been going this way for quite some time. I agree that the future booking coupons are of less value, and much more restrictive. The latest item... the new coupon books in the Cabins, are simply awful. Most every coupon requires you buy something before you recieve any benefit. How is that supposed to make you feel appreciated ?

I find it very odd that for a line that does a good job of listening to their customers, this is one area where they continue to have their head in the sand. What's even more interesting, is how Royal Caribbean can offer an outstanding loyalty program, and Celebrity's is fair at best. For a line that is supposed to be the more upscale of the 2 lines, one would think Celebrity's loyalty program should be better, not worse.

I know that some of you will say that you dont care about the perks, and its all about the Cruise itself. I wont argue that point. To me, it is not about the specific perk here and there. It is about feeling appreciated. I make sure ALL of my clients know how important they are to me, on a regular basis. Celebrity should be doing this as well. Celebrity needs to step up to the plate, and make improvements in Captains Club benefits, to make the passengers feel more appreciated.

Hi Everyone !

Unfortunately, I feel most of us would agree that both the coupons and Captains Club benefits are headed in the wrong direction. They have been going this way for quite some time. I agree that the future booking coupons are of less value, and much more restrictive. The latest item... the new coupon books in the Cabins, are simply awful. Most every coupon requires you buy something before you recieve any benefit. How is that supposed to make you feel appreciated ?

I find it very odd that for a line that does a good job of listening to their customers, this is one area where they continue to have their head in the sand. What's even more interesting, is how Royal Caribbean can offer an outstanding loyalty program, and Celebrity's is fair at best. For a line that is supposed to be the more upscale of the 2 lines, one would think Celebrity's loyalty program should be better, not worse.

I know that some of you will say that you dont care about the perks, and its all about the Cruise itself. I wont argue that point. To me, it is not about the specific perk here and there. It is about feeling appreciated. I make sure ALL of my clients know how important they are to me, on a regular basis. Celebrity should be doing this as well. Celebrity needs to step up to the plate, and make improvements in Captains Club benefits, to make the passengers feel more appreciated.

Excellent post Andy. I couldn't have said it better myself. It's almost as if X wants their customers to try the other cruise lines. Many have and may not return. Hopefully things will change for the better when the new ships start to come out.

The coupons used to be a great deal. Now its insulting. I just ripped them up and threw it away. I received some RCI C & A coupons seemed much better. Just my opinion RCI seems to be going out of their way to make the C & A program better. Like Host Andy said, you would expect more from Celebrity.

I wonder if we're going to see some different kind of program when the new Solstice ships arrive. Maybe they'll have a "Concierge Lounge" similar to the RCL ships. I don't know. It's just a thought.

Hi Judy !

I agree, the Concierge Lounge is a great idea. It is something I have suggested to Celebrity many times, and it always goes on my comment card. I would like to see it happen on the Solstice class, and on ALL Celebrity ships.

We can hope..... :)

I'm in agreement with everyone here. I just got back from Freedom of the Seas and the benefits afforded Diamond members is far superior to anything Celebrity is offering its Elite members. Quite honestly, the Diamond benefits add up to quite a bit if you take advantage of everything they offer. It does impact our decision when selecting a ship and cruise.

We sail Celebrity, RCI and Princess interchangably and in the past couple of years, there just isn't that much difference among the lines in my opinion. I've had great cruises on all three lines and so-so cruises on all three. That said, the benefits afforded Diamond members certainly comes into play (along with the benefits we get from the Captain's Circle with Princess). Both RCI and Princess offer better benefits than Celebrity. Doesn't seem to make much sense!

The coupons used to be a great deal. Now its insulting. I just ripped them up and threw it away.

I have to agree that it's an insult. It would be better to give nothing at all. It's as if they're saying thanks for cruising so much and spending so much money now please go spend more money and we'll give you 5% off what you spend.

Hi Judy !

I agree, the Concierge Lounge is a great idea. It is something I have suggested to Celebrity many times, and it always goes on my comment card. I would like to see it happen on the Solstice class, and on ALL Celebrity ships.

We can hope..... :)

Sorry to say I'm familiar with the Concierge Lounge on RCCL. I am turned off with my (non) Elite privileges on X.

I highly doubt that Solstice ships will offer more perks, especially in the form of a Concierge Lounge. It seems apparent that Celebrity is bent on decreasing costs and this includes perks. A CL is an investment of space, personell and hard costs as well and I find it highly unlikely that Celebrity, who has cut coupons and discounts to an all time low, will suddenly reverse their stand and spend more on loyalty.

The CLs on RCI are nice but crowding is becoming an issue. I fully expect RCI to revamp their program as they are already cutting some perks in the coupon books.

Since the lounges are the most costly perk they offer, and crowding and abuse are already problems, they can only handle it in two ways: add bigger lounges or extended facilities at a higher cost, or cut back this particular perk to a revamped Diamond level.

IMO, it simply does not fit with the business model. And it would be great to be wrong:).

Comments on this thread are dead on. What is galling is that they announced a MAJOR new customer appreciation program earlier this year to much fanfare and it turned out to be utter crap. It's not new. It's not improved. And the coupon book is certainly not something that can even be appreciated.

All that aside, we do enjoy sailing on Celebrity. And we are sailing Celebrity DESPITE their lack of a decent client appreciation program. What does that say? Well, that we like the overall experience enough to continue to book Celebrity. Wouldn't it be nice if it were more special? YES! And I encourage it. Are we looking at other cruiselines because the loyalty program is a joke? YES! Celebrity has captured 80% of our cruise dollar over the past 3 years. Depending on where they go from here will determine whether they lose us or get 100%.

If they are going to have a client appreciation program, do things that are special --- that will make us feel appreciated. Lets go back to paying $50 to join if that helps.

After my first cruise ten years ago (on Celebrity) I was hooked. Since that time I have taken nine cruises on them in everything from inside accommodations to CC class. I strayed once and swore I would never do it again. I am now rethinking that.

Could it be that Celebrity has begun to take us for granted? We keep coming back and enjoy the lack of announcements, no rowdy teenagers and an outstanding staff. We downplay or tend to overlook things that have changed in recent years as they have in so many service-oriented industries. In my mind, my loyalty is waning. I currently have two cruises booked on other cruiselines.

I would rather that they give me nothing than the embarrassing coupon book they now give us. Please take that money and fix the pods and re-upholster some of the frayed furniture.

I am not so sure they don't just want to get rid of us older folks.

I remember when people trashed the CC program because they charged to join. People talked about the perks from other lines and they didn't have to pay to join their loyalty program. They said that they thought that they should get more perks. They criticised Celebrity and then---Celebrity heard them and stopped charging. Then, people were upset because this meant that anybody could and would join and the CC program wouldn't be special anymore.

So, here we are and we're still complaining about the CC program. We've almost completed the circle.

I think the bottom line is that the Solstice class ships will bring in much more revenue to the cruise line and as a result you would expect better loyalty benefits. At least we can hope so. :)

I think it's just the opposite. As long as the ships continue to sail full and the cruise line is making money they feel less of a need to invest in loyalty programs. If they keep downgrading loyalty benefits and we keep on sailing they think that the loyalty benefits are of no consequence to us so they might as well get rid of them and save themselves some money. If effective advertising enables them to increase the potential passenger base there is no need to keep old customers coming back when there are so many new customers lined up.

So, here we are and we're still complaining about the CC program. We've almost completed the circle.

That's because, "You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time." - a famous quote, slightly altered :)

Many here make some very valid observations. X is not the only established mass market line that is gutting it's frequent cruiser program.

Consider one possible reason:

Onboard Revenue has become a major element of a cruise line's profitibility. All of the computer analyses show us that frequent cruisers are - generally - the most frugal people onboard. They already have enough photos, they play the penny slots, they have already done most of the tours, they rarely bring children onboard, they don't purchase many drinks, they rarely patronize the spa, and already have enough refrigerator magnets from the shops. As a result, the per diem spending by these people is generally lower than first-timers. Since onboard spending is where all the profit happens today, the cruise lines are scrambling to increase revenues in that area.

Rather than encouraging discount cruisers to return again and again, they are learning that in today's seller's market, they can well afford to spend less time and money on the frugal cruisers and dedicate more effort to attracting first-timers who will spend more money onboard and increase profits.

If and when this supply/demand equation reverses (market research tells us that it probably will not for quite some time), the cruise lines may become a bit more aggressive and generous in trying to keep the customer base they have, rather than welcoming the masses of first-timers.

Archived