Father/Daughter 1st Cruise

karypat

Hey all. Im a newcomer in here, actually a newcomer as far as cruising is concerned..To make a long story short, I've booked a surprise cruise for my daughter Feb11-07 on Carnival-Valor, Eastern Carabean. She's 11 yrs old. Im certain we'll have tons of fun together but being a 1st time and single parent cruiser, I would like to hear from all you experienced cruisers about any suggestions / recommendations as far as either meeting other single people and how to make sure my daughter has a blast as well as if I will be able to spend any time alone...Thanks in advance...Cheers to all.

Hey all. Im a newcomer in here, actually a newcomer as far as cruising is concerned..To make a long story short, I've booked a surprise cruise for my daughter Feb11-07 on Carnival-Valor, Eastern Carabean. She's 11 yrs old. Im certain we'll have tons of fun together but being a 1st time and single parent cruiser, I would like to hear from all you experienced cruisers about any suggestions / recommendations as far as either meeting other single people and how to make sure my daughter has a blast as well as if I will be able to spend any time alone...Thanks in advance...Cheers to all.

Welcome!!! And congrats on your first cruise!!!!

I am a single mom and personally I think that a cruise is the absolute best vacation for a single parent!!! I have cruised with kids, solo and once with my (now former ;) ) BF.

As far as meeting other people....I think it is very easy to meet people on a cruise. Most cruisers tend to be very friendly and open to having conversation with and meeting other people on board.

I like to request a large table and I prefer late dinner seating. Dinner and Tablemates are a wonderful to find companionship. I have always been seated with "like" people i.e. on the Triumph in '05 I was sailing with my 12 y.o. daughter and we were seated with a single dad and his teenage kids.

Some people will tell you that Early seating is better for your daughter as many of the kids events begin while the late dinner seating is taking place. Personally, I have never found this to be a problem and we much prefer late seating as I always feel very rushed to make the earlier times. My daughter ate with me in the DR every night (except for the first night which I'll touch on next) and she had no problem finding the kids she hung out with when we were done with dinner.

On the first night of your cruise there will be an orientation for the kids. I highly recommend that your daughter attends this. This is where she will meet many of the kids on the sailing. A lot of them don't attend many of the organized activities and opt to hang out themselves. This does overlap with a Late Dinner Seating and is why my daughter did not eat in the DR the first night.

What I love the most about a cruise is that I can get some wonderful quality time with my kids and also experience some much needed "adult, single" time. For me it works out very well and at night I frequent the piano bar and disco and play! I have also been able to enjoy some R&R during the day and attend some events that I enjoy such as the wine tastings. The kids do tend to find eachother and want to hang out together without the company of their parents ;)

I could go on and on but I'll give it a rest for now! Feel free to ask questions!!

• 5 weeks later...

Bad Dad, Bad Dad, what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they come for you!

Shame on you for taking this young lady out of school. This is sea hooky!

That said, should your young lady get into SCUBA I can introduce her to an 11 year old Texian diver and longtime cruise veteran. As a scientific diver, he can cover for her when those hooky cops arrive sirens blaring.:D

Hmmm...single mom, Connecticut, 14 year old daughter. Always looking on the market for pretty young Connecticut heiresses for my 11 year old diver.:)

Seriously, ever consider chumming your daughter to the critters in the Epcot Living Seas Aquarium (OW Cert) or the manatees of Crystal River (Snorkling)? You could do worse for quality time in the winter and these can tie in with cruises out of Tampa or Canaveral.

Best of luck as a single mom with a daughter. Unfortunately, I got stuck with a son who is hopelessly addicted to cruising.

Welcome!!! And congrats on your first cruise!!!!

I am a single mom and personally I think that a cruise is the absolute best vacation for a single parent!!! I have cruised with kids, solo and once with my (now former ;) ) BF.

Archived