Tips for cruising---especially the NCL Jewel!

tray

Okay, I'm leaving in 54 days to go on the NCL Jewel and would like you to share any tips, not to miss things, great food finds, great drink finds, special places on the ship, fun things you've done in Eastern ports, tips about what not to forget to do that first day on board, tips about fun things not to miss when you are at sea, tips about the rooms, and anything and everything else you can share with me about the Jewel and/or cruising!!

This should be fun!

Thanks!!!

We were on the Jewel this past April and had a great time! I enjoyed many services at the spa, loved the gym, enjoyed all of the food especially the waffles in the morning made fresh while you wait. I loved going up to the viewing room outside the bridge to look at the nautical instruments, loved walking the promenade and enjoyed laying out on the top deck at the very front of the ship where it rarely got crowded. I can go on and on with positives. Only negative is that we were in a balcony room, 10086, and had to deal with a non-stop smoker who was right next door. It was unpleasant but we had a great time otherwise.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer with more specifics.

You will have a great time.

Claudie,

I also have a few questions about the Jewel if you don't mind. My daughter and new husband will be on the Jewel in a few weeks for their honeymoon. Did you try the sushi or asian place for dinner? Someone mentioned you can get lobster every night in Cagney's, is this true? Did you go to Antigua and if so, can you recommend a great beach or the catamaran cruise?

Thanks so much,

Linda

Sounds heavenly------I can't wait (but I guess I'll have to! :p).

I'd like to find the bridge you spoke of and also the 'uncrowded' tanning area near the front of the ship on the top deck. Was that the topless suntanning area though? That's not really for me, so I thought I'd better ask!! :eek:

And I remember those waffles from the Sun when we went last November--yum!

Keep the tips, great memories to share, etc. coming! I love it!!!!

I was also curious about the lobster in Cagney's and how often it is available. We could probably do a search and find out!

llarsen: we are doing the Eli's Eco Tour in Antigua. It got PHENOMENAL reviews! Not sure if it' something they'd be interested in?

I love the Jewel, The cruise Director, Paul was great. However, in the show room, there is a section just reserved for those passengers with suites, this makes me feel like I am a second class passenger, even though I have a balcony room, and been cruising with NCL for 5 times. This is the 1st time that I noticed that NCL has a reserved section in the show room for thier special guests!!!:rolleyes:

The reserved seating in the shows is not for "special guests", it is for people who are paying NCL a high premium for their courtyard accomodations and the reserved seating is built into the price they are paying for those accomodations...2 big perks you pay for with the courtyard vs. penthouse are not having to deal with the chair hog situation by the main pool unless you want to and not having to get to a show early to get a seat...

The reserved seating in the shows is not for "special guests", it is for people who are paying NCL a high premium for their courtyard accomodations and the reserved seating is built into the price they are paying for those accomodations...2 big perks you pay for with the courtyard vs. penthouse are not having to deal with the chair hog situation by the main pool unless you want to and not having to get to a show early to get a seat...

Thats the same reason that the speciality restaurants have tables spare but they tell you its full.......its just in case the big spenders decide to dine in one at the last minute.

That makes sense to me. I this this is a great perk for the Courtyard (and I'm assuming Garden) Villas. These passengers do pay quite a premium, and I like that when you get a suite on NCL, you also get other perks in addition to the nice accommodations. I've heard that on some other lines there isn't the same level of "extras" for suite passengers.

Sorry this doesn't give the OP any add'l. info! :) Just felt like commenting! ;)

We were on the Jewel this past April and had a great time! I enjoyed many services at the spa, loved the gym, enjoyed all of the food especially the waffles in the morning made fresh while you wait. I loved going up to the viewing room outside the bridge to look at the nautical instruments.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer with more specifics.

Where is the viewing area for the bridge? AND the Waffle station?

I've read a lot about how crazy the taxi drivers are in St. Thomas and that some people have barely made it back to their cruise ship. Anyone on here had any personal experiences? I may need to start a new thread for this one.

I've been to St. Thomas twice and the taxi drivers weren't that bad. At times the driving did scare me because of the sharp turns they took, as I am not use to driving in a hilly, curvy area. I didn't experience any un-friendly drivers, but I think the main reason the driving scared me was due to the hills, then driving on the left side, and the curves. Not too bad.

We're considering the Jewel for this December. Question about disembarkation -- I read that "Freestyle" means you can stay in your cabin until your color is called. Can you stay in your cabin beyond that call time? Also, I read the disembarkation document that someone who sailed on NCLA posted. On the Jewel, is the color tag also tied to a particular deck on the ship? If so, does anyone know whether the corresponding deck/color/time roughly the same for each cruise on the same ship/itinerary? (I'm looking at deck 11.)

When are you looking at cruising on the Jewel in December? We've got a roll call going for the 12/24 cruise so come join us if you book with us (or even if you don't :p). My family is also on the 11th deck.

We've only been on NCL once (last Thanksgiving) and we were able to go down to the desk and pick out tags to match the time we wanted to get off the ship the next morning. It did not correspond to our deck #. We just picked our time. Once our color was called we left, mainly because our ride was there and waiting to take us home. Also, staying on would only make it worse b/c the good-bye just gets stretched out. My least favorite part of cruising is getting off the ship and walking through the area where new passengers are waiting to board. That is always sooooooooooooo depressing. Of course, I am very happy for them that they are getting ready to cruise! Anyway, I found disembarkation on NCL to be so relaxed and soooooooooooo much easier than our last 2 times on RCL.

When are you looking at cruising on the Jewel in December? We've got a roll call going for the 12/24 cruise so come join us if you book with us (or even if you don't :p). My family is also on the 11th deck.

That is the sailing we're considering! I should know within the next day or two if we can do it.

We've only been on NCL once (last Thanksgiving) and we were able to go down to the desk and pick out tags to match the time we wanted to get off the ship the next morning. It did not correspond to our deck #. We just picked our time. Once our color was called we left, mainly because our ride was there and waiting to take us home.

Wow! I didn't know you can do that. I'd love to be able to pick our time. The NCLA disembarkation document that someone posted had color tags tied with decks. Does anyone know Jewel's practice for disembarkation in this respect?

That is the sailing we're considering! I should know within the next day or two if we can do it.

Wow! I didn't know you can do that. I'd love to be able to pick our time. The NCLA disembarkation document that someone posted had color tags tied with decks. Does anyone know Jewel's practice for disembarkation in this respect?

I don't know about the Jewel, but generally the color tags are keyed to your departure time (usually airline flight times) - those with early flights will get an earlier disembarkation time assigned to accommodate.

What are some more good tips for cruising on the Jewel? Secrets we should know about, things you wished you knew about before cruising, etc???

Keep those great cruizin tips coming!! :p

Archived