Alaska in Mat-- Outer clothing to take

seagoingJLW

how far up are you going? to glacier bay or up to anchorage. that will make a difference. i was in glacier bay last sept and the weather was gorgeous. in the 60's during the day and warm. i only wore a tee shirt with a hooded sweatshirt over it. on the deck at night is a little brisk but not unbearable. i had a unlined lightweight nylon jacket in case it rained which it never did except about 1/2 hr in ketchikan. and in glacier bay i did not need the gloves and ear band i took. of course i am from the midwest so i am used to a more chilly temperature. of course there will still be snow on the mountains as opposed to what was there in sept. i am going again in may of 2005 and will leave a heavy coat home. if i need one i will have to buy one as a souvenier. for me personally, i would not take the parka. unless you are going all the way up to hubbard bay and anchorage. it will be colder there im sure. but i know another poster will know for sure on that. keep going back on this alaska thread and i know you will find your answer. have a great time and i hope this helps.

Layers are better- I never take a winter coat and always a lightweight lined jacket, knit hat, gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear. Make do with what you have- a few sweatshirts, turtlenecks etc can be combined if needed.

Archived