Elbe River recommendations

mike35

We are contemplating a late Springs 2007 cruise on the Elbe, starting in Berlin and ending in Prague. We sailed on the Deilmann Mozart down the Danube a couple of years ago and absolutely loved every minute of it. The only two cruise lines I can find who sail this itinerary are Deilmann (Katarina) and Viking (Schumann). I welcome any comments from those who have sailed either of these two ships, and recommendations as to which we should choose.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

We´re booked on Deilmann´s Dresden for next spring (Dresden - Hamburg). The main difference between Viking Schumann and Deilmann Katharina von Bora is that Deilmann is starting in Berlin-Potsdam and ending in Prague on the Vtlava (Moldau) River. Viking is bussing the passengers from Berlin to Magdeburg and from Usti or another town on the Elbe river to Prague. Compare the itineraries of the boats carefully.

Make a search on this board for the Viking Schumann. There has been a thread providing an email addres of someone who cruise the Viking Schumann this year and is emailing you a review.

steamboats

Thank you, Steamboats! Good point about the bussing - I didn't notice that. I like the idea that Viking includes shore excursions. We loved the European flavor of Deilmann - about 80% of the passengers were from Germany, which gave us an opportunity to experience cruising from a different (and very favorable) perspective.

Mike

Thank you, Steamboats! Good point about the bussing - I didn't notice that. I like the idea that Viking includes shore excursions. We loved the European flavor of Deilmann - about 80% of the passengers were from Germany, which gave us an opportunity to experience cruising from a different (and very favorable) perspective.

Mike

Archived