Sao Paulo

eden

We are cruising to Rio in Feb and then flying to Sao Paulo to catch our plane back home. Looks like we will be in Sao Paulo from noon till 10 pm so was wondering if there is an alternative to spending all day in the airport. Does anyone know of any guides in Sao Paulo? What would there be to see? We will be in Sao Paulo on a Sunday.

Any comments or suggestions ?

hi, I hope I can help you out a little. You said you will be there on a sunday, and somthing will be closed because Brasil is a very catholic country but you should still be able to enjoy your self. if you get a cab down to avenida Palista , it is a great street to just walk around , and see the museum of art- you cant miss the building, it is probly one of the ugliest buildings in the city. And while downtown- go by the parque de se , the cathedral metropolitana is breathtaking.

my fave place is the park of ibirapuera , or parque de ibirapuera , it is so beautiful, filled with people and the museum of modern art.

a cab from the airport to the centre of town will be pricy like 30 $ american , but ,if you get a shuttle to the bus depot - named Tete , it should only be about 8. and at the bus debot you can catch the subway. i would suggest getting some one from the airport to write down directions for you , because Sao Paulo isnt as english friendly as Rio, just it would be harder at the bus depot to find some on fluent in the lauguage.

and if you are thirsty , at the bus depot, or airport there is a brasilan fastfood joint called Bobs. they have the worst burgers ever, but the best milkshakes i've ever had . the oveltine one is to die for.

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly disagee with advice of beijobeijo that you take all your cruise luggage and start riding on public transportation in Sao Paulo so that you can save $22. Sorry beijo, but I think you're giving bad advice.

Eden,

We had the same situation as you did and ended up staying at the airport for a long time. In hindsight, the best thing would have been to pre-arrange a private car and driver to show us around.

We hired a taxi at the domestic Sao Paulo airport on our arrival flight from Rio, to take us to the international Sao Paulo airport for our flight home. We paid him some extra money for a tour, which was nice, but he couldn't spend the day with us.

Hire a guide and driver to show you around. Don't hang out at bus stations and look for public transportation in South America. Sheesh, I wouldn't do that here in the US!

Thanks for the advice beijobeijo and Jane 110. I agree that I don't think public transportation is the way to go. Does anyone know how I would go about finding a private car and driver in Sao Paulo? What airline did you fly , Jane 110?

Thanks again

Eden,

Probably an internet search of Sao Paulo tour companies might lead you to a guide. I'm really not sure, to he honest, but plenty of people hire car & drivers in Sao Paulo, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

We flew Varig from Rio to S. Paulo, but if you do a search, you'll see there are many flights a day between the two cities on a few airlines.

Archived