How many formal nights?

ma_in_ak

We are on the Wind's 11 night cruise. How many formal nights are there? I'm not all that thrilled about packing a bunch of dressy outfits. If there are 2, do you think I could get away with wearing the same dress twice? This coming from someone who lives in ANchorage - where you can go to the fanciest place in town and see everything from black tie to denim at tables next to each other, so I don't have a bunch of dresses.

same thing on formal night as with your local restaurants, just no blue jeans. you will see the same wide variety of dress in all the dining rooms on formal night or any other night. i wore the same black slacks, i got them just for that reason, just changed the tops from casual dinner to more dressy.

We were on the Dawn two weeks ago for 7 days. There was one formal night, another termed "elegant."

On the formal night we saw some folks in the standard resort casual, some dark suits, cocktail dresses, some tux's and some gowns. There were also some that dressed like we did: dark navy blue blazer, khaki color dress slacks, shirt and tie and the women wore dinner dresses. We attended a private cocktail party and I recall one gentleman wore an aloha shirt - he fit in just fine.

Regardless of how you were dressed that night, people ate in any of the restaurants. I believe this is the concept behind freestyle...if you want to go all out - do it! If something else is your choice - do it!

My husband HATES getting dressed up - he's been retired for several years and it takes ALOT of effort on my part get him to put a tie on. However...(did you hear me just let out a deep breath???)...he did the blazer thing and looked terrific. As did the male half of our travelmates.

On "elegant" night I saw a several jackets and ties...but not what I would describe as "alot." Actually that is when alot of folks had their formal pictures taken...one couple wore baseball jerseys - one NY Mets and one NY Yankees - I thought that was a wonderful choice and they looked adorable!

So it's up to you...wear what you want. It's your vacation - and freestyle means you have choices.

I have another 332 days to work on DH regarding our next cruise - a 15 nighter through the Panama Canal. Should I go for dark suit or go for the whole enchilada - a tuxedo? Errr....maybe I better stick with the always fashionable blazer and leave it at that!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Ciao,

W A W W

[quote name='ma_in_ak']We are on the Wind's 11 night cruise. How many formal nights are there? I'm not all that thrilled about packing a bunch of dressy outfits. If there are 2, do you think I could get away with wearing the same dress twice? This coming from someone who lives in ANchorage - where you can go to the fanciest place in town and see everything from black tie to denim at tables next to each other, so I don't have a bunch of dresses.[/quote]

You don't have to pack a bunch of dressy outfits unless you feel like getting dressed up.

Resort casual is fine any evening for dinner including the formal nights.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

[quote name='DEHM']If its on NCL and you don't care to participate in all the formal nights, just use one of the resturants that isn't formal for that night.[/quote]

You can go to ANY restaurant on the ship in resort casual on the formal night. NCL no longer designates one dining room as "formal only" like they used to.

The joy of Freestyle: You do not have to dress up ANY night during your cruise. You can wear resort casual every night to every dining room (main and specialty.) Only about 40% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from tuxes to shirt & tie. The other 60% will be in resort casual.

[quote name='ma_in_ak']We are on the Wind's 11 night cruise. How many formal nights are there? I'm not all that thrilled about packing a bunch of dressy outfits. If there are 2, do you think I could get away with wearing the same dress twice? This coming from someone who lives in ANchorage - where you can go to the fanciest place in town and see everything from black tie to denim at tables next to each other, so I don't have a bunch of dresses.[/quote]

I think NCL must have gotten their dress code from Anchorage; you should have no problem. :D

Seriously, except for no shorts or jeans at dinner, there will be enough variety of dress that whatever you choose to wear will fit right in.:)

Archived