Has anyone ever experienced this ????

iluvcruisingtoo

I have never been in really bad weather, but I have been on a ship during some pretty rough weather. They seriously tape barf bags to the walls and stuff like that when they are going through a storm. On my last cruise, the weather was pretty bad the first night out. Some guy got thrown around in the shower and broke his arm. We had to go down to the infirmary the next morning and we saw tons of people down there trying to get some seasickness medication. One poor kid threw up right in the vestibule between the elevator and the infirmary. The nurse was going crazy trying to keep up with everything. On top of all the weather problems, she also had someone with appendicitis at the same time.

I just watched Poseidon the other night, so I guess our experience with weather is really pretty minimal. I guess it can get WAY worse!

I was on the Carnival Legend in October 2003 from Baltimore to Bermuda. We hit a storm off the NC coast. We experienced 25' - 30' seas and 70 mph winds. It was a wild ride. I loved it but many, many people were "under the weather". The trip back from Bermuda was much calmer. Other than that one cruise, we have not experienced any bad weather (fingers crossed).

I have been on 5 cruises so far and i have never experienced any bad weather. Has anyone ever been on a cruise with terrible weather. How bad do you feel onboard? This picture seems really bad to me ... or is this normal ?

2145096400080888825APkaVR_ph.jpg

This photo has been around for a while and appears to be a fake. For example, who took the picture? It would have to be from a helicopter. Real photos like this are then posted by the photographer with a background story and the photographer taking full credit for the photo. This one appeared out of nowhere and no one knows who took it.

There are some real photos of the Carnival Ecstasy in a storm. The photos were taken from another Carnival ship in the same storm AND there were no passengers on board (the ships were riding out the storm at sea after the passengers were safely returned to their debarkation port).

Cruise ships with passengers tend to steer away from storms, even if it means missing a port or two, or even arriving late back home. So, unlike a land based hotel, which cannot move out of a storm's way, the cruise ships can and do.

I have been on 5 cruises so far and i have never experienced any bad weather. Has anyone ever been on a cruise with terrible weather. How bad do you feel onboard? This picture seems really bad to me ... or is this normal ?

2145096400080888825APkaVR_ph.jpg

Yup. Last year during a tropical storm, rained what felt like the entire time. Didn't feel bad at all, had a FABULOUS time!!!!!!!

Have had bad weather on other cruises as well, rocky... yes. Take along some seasick meds even if you never get seasick :p Still fun :D

WOW, Glad I wasnt onboard that day!!!

I've had people ask me about Hurricanes etc. My personal philosophy is:

1. Carnival has full time staff for my safety.

2. Every boat has radar and they can see the storms before we see the clouds.

3. Every boats staff is there to see that I have a Fun time.

So..... Dont worry, have a drink or 3, Take your seasick pills if needed (Meclizine is my choice) and who cares if we make it to every port or not.

Just my.02

Not sure if this is the link that you are talking about but it has some great pictures of a ship riding out a storm.

http://community.webshots.com/album/547061976shwsUO

Those are real. The photos were taken by a crew member on another Carnival ship. No passengers were on either ship.

Also, note that the photos don't look like they were taken from a helicopter.

back in August of 2004 we were on the Glory. A hurricane was heading for FL (not sure which one) on the East Coast. Carnival kept our ship on the Western Caribbean side and we never knew a hurrican was demolishing FL. They also kept us out for an additional 3 days. One day they brought us back into Cozumel, in case any one wanted to get off and fly home (at own expense). Carnival staff was wonderful, breifing us along the way.

The best thing was my sister and our families were on the Glory and our other sister was on the Imagination. Her cruies was one day behind us, so their ship never left Cozumel. So when they brought us in, we were up on deck looking. Back then Cozumel had all the piers operational. The chance of our ship pulling up along side theirs and for by brother-in-law to be up on deck, priceless. We couldn't wait to get off, have a drink and call home to tell everyone.

Carnival is extremely wonderful in these situations.

back in August of 2004 we were on the Glory. A hurricane was heading for FL (not sure which one) on the East Coast. Carnival kept our ship on the Western Caribbean side and we never knew a hurrican was demolishing FL. They also kept us out for an additional 3 days. One day they brought us back into Cozumel, in case any one wanted to get off and fly home (at own expense). Carnival staff was wonderful, breifing us along the way.

The best thing was my sister and our families were on the Glory and our other sister was on the Imagination. Her cruies was one day behind us, so their ship never left Cozumel. So when they brought us in, we were up on deck looking. Back then Cozumel had all the piers operational. The chance of our ship pulling up along side theirs and for by brother-in-law to be up on deck, priceless. We couldn't wait to get off, have a drink and call home to tell everyone.

Carnival is extremely wonderful in these situations.

That's a great story!

We were on the Conquest in January of 2005, returning to New Orleans from Cozumel. Went through a cold front which produced 16 to 20 foot waves. We had an eighth floor balcony cabin, and the spray from the waves was coming in over the balcony. I never would have believed that a ship that big could move so much. Not just rocking, but bouncing, getting worse all day. Lots of seasick passengers.

I have always wondered why they didn't warn us that this was coming. Most meds are useless unless taken before the symptoms start.

We left out of New Orleans on the Holiday Thanksgiving Day 2003 in the pouring down rain. It rained the whole night and next day. The ship rocked and rolled and lots of people were really sick - hardly no drinking or eating going on. We arrived in Cosumel only to learn that there was a cold front traveling with us causing the bad weather and all excursions were cancelled and the beaches were closed. Well since that was our only port it was pretty disappointing. We took a cab in into Cosumel and for anyone who has been there the waves were so high they were washing over the street almost into the shops - so we spent the day at Senoir Frogs. On the way back to New Orleans the boat was going against the waves. But we had a ball because our whole family was together.

Yes...like Big Doug...on the Legend...but my cruise was at the end of April,2003. A big storm on the return from Bermuda had the ship "a-rockin'-and-a-rollin' ". I didn't get sick, but had to hold on to any hand-rail available. It added interest and excitement to the cruise.

I was on the Liberty back in February and we had one heck of a bad night at sea. Mind you I cant remember how big the sea was but it was a big storm system that was working its way along the coast. It was the day we boarded the cruise. It was quite chilly that day. We left port late too cause alot of people from New York and area had not arrived or something like that. About a half an hour after we were supose to leave the captain came on and said that the others will be boarding in Freeport. it was my kids first cruise, it didnt seem to bother my son the way the ship rocked and rolled, it bothered me and my daughter though. So we went to the persers desk and grabbed a pill about a half an hour later we felt much better we also stay mid ship on the lower decks too as it seemed better there. alot of people were sick, even the crew. It didnt last long though, when we retired for the night the ship was way calmer.

all this seems mild compared to what others have been through or have seen. Oh I forgot to mention when we got into freeport it was 48 degrees. Everyone wore gloves and winter coats!

Years (and I mean years) missed the port of Cabo (to rough to tender in) and Grand Cayman once in 2003 they stopped any more tenders going into port about halfway through the day, because it was to difficult to get people on and off safely. Other than that...I think 15 foot waves have been the worst and they really weren't a problem. I have a worse time walking after drinking than those waves gave us!!

We have been blessed. But hey, I have always said short of the ship sinking, I will have a great time. And if the ship sinks (and no one gets hurt) and they give me enough perks for my inconvenience...I will still have a great time!

back in August of 2004 we were on the Glory. A hurricane was heading for FL (not sure which one) on the East Coast.

I thought about trying to narrow this down for you but...... I don't even remember the names of all the hurricanes that hit us that year! :)

Great story though.

Last year we were on the Imagination headed to Coz when Gamma decided to head into the western Carib. We ended up turning around and heading for Nassau for a day. Seas were pretty rough and most people were taking meds. Made dancing rather interesting to watch I can tell you that! Carnival made sure everyone knew what was going on and what the ship was planning throughout the trip. Nothing but possitive comments from us about the Imagination or the way the crew acted & handled everything that came up.

Oh, and the photo is doctored. The swell isn't breaking properly for the width of the ship and the sodes are too calm for such a large swell to go over something that tall without breaking. Aside from that there is no shadowing.

I thought about trying to narrow this down for you but...... I don't even remember the names of all the hurricanes that hit us that year! :)

Great story though.

Last year we were on the Imagination headed to Coz when Gamma decided to head into the western Carib. We ended up turning around and heading for Nassau for a day. Seas were pretty rough and most people were taking meds. Made dancing rather interesting to watch I can tell you that! Carnival made sure everyone knew what was going on and what the ship was planning throughout the trip. Nothing but possitive comments from us about the Imagination or the way the crew acted & handled everything that came up.

Oh, and the photo is doctored. The swell isn't breaking properly for the width of the ship and the sodes are too calm for such a large swell to go over something that tall without breaking. Aside from that there is no shadowing.

I remember the first time I really saw the effects of waves. I was coming out of the theater with a big group of people, and we all started walking to the left, then all the way to the right and back again! All we could do was laugh and hold on. I think it's fun!

Archived